R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-14-2008, 02:04 PM   #376
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Ok.. follow me on this one here for a bit .. it may seem strange or off key, but here goes...
More people are killed by drunk drivers than all the other controlled substances combined. And yet it's legal to own and posses and consume alcohol. Yet (most) people are not responsible enough to realize that they shouldnt drive under the influence. That surely doesnt make it right does it?
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:33 AM   #377
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Oh how this thread has changed from 1/12th scale to a 1/5th

I think the whole point to stay on topic is... How do we still keep Stock speeds for anyone wanting to run stock, beginer or the inexperienced racer?

Everyone knows how easy it is to slap in a big HP motor and have insane speeds at any voltage. I'm going to guess a 3.5-4.5 even with 3.7v is quicker then most of your traditional stock racers can handle, same with a 10.5-13.5 at 7.4v.
FUTABA 2.4G FASST, Spec-R S1, Speed Passion SP-1, Sakura D3 FWD, Kyosho Evolva M3, Team Losi XX-4, Caster EX1.5R, HPI Wheelie King Crawler, Quanum Aquaholic, Joysway Wildcat
nrtv20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:42 AM   #378
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

I personally would love to see 3.7v lipo and 13.5 or even a 10.5.
As I no longer want to have to purchase Ni-Mh's.
And as for the World GT ... 3.7v and a 10.5 would be KILLER!
Old 11-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #379
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm up for anything as long as it either becomes the new standard or the big class at local club racing.
FUTABA 2.4G FASST, Spec-R S1, Speed Passion SP-1, Sakura D3 FWD, Kyosho Evolva M3, Team Losi XX-4, Caster EX1.5R, HPI Wheelie King Crawler, Quanum Aquaholic, Joysway Wildcat
nrtv20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:11 AM   #380
Tech Master

Problem is getting everyone to aggree on what to run.. theres just too many options now. TC has been narrowed down to 13.5 rubber and 10.5 foam at larrys. WGT and Mini and Slash are still a ponderance. Id love to run them all but then theres no time to martial. 1/12 is forming up nicely but not as customary as TC. And no one can agree on what to do about it. less is more and simper is better .. But the more the marrier !
Old 11-15-2008, 12:20 PM   #381
Tech Adept

Ignorance is bliss!
It seens as though every time someone post about A123 here it gets ignored and right back to LiPo Talk.

I do understand that A123 has not submitted for ROAR approval however.

Impact and I have been doing testing with 12 th stock and 13.5 2s 3p 3300.
This uses 3 of the small more or less AA size A123 cells in parallel on either side of a T-Bar car. 6.6V But is lower that LiPo with a 30 Amp load.

Impact is seeing 14 min run times with this config.

Charge @ 10C no problem.
Max Voltage throughout the cycle.
No risk of fire?

I guess we dont talk about what we dont understand.

So lets talk about Lipo.
AndrewNicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:32 PM   #382
Tech Champion

I heard Tamiya is going to be making a battery pack based off of the A123 cells...Considering these cells aren't approved yet in any sanctioning body that I know of...that is one heck of a leap of faith on Tamiya's part and a big statement on where they think the technology is going.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:36 PM   #383
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
I heard Tamiya is going to be making a battery pack based off of the A123 cells...Considering these cells aren't approved yet in any sanctioning body that I know of...that is one heck of a leap of faith on Tamiya's part and a big statement on where they think the technology is going.
I'd be surprised if Tamiya did that, but just because they tend to be conservative with the technologies they adopt, usually lagging a generation behind the state of the art.

In regards to sanctioning, Tamiya marches to the beat of its own drummer and acts as its own sanctioning body for its races anyway. If they come out with an A123 pack it'll be acceptable for use in certain Tamiya classes.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:52 PM   #384
Tech Champion

True they do to a point...but they also make sure the cars they do make are legal in other classes when it comes to their competition level cars.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #385
Tech Master

Those A123's are supposed to be wicked awesome. And have very low internals! If you built it ,,, they wll come.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:01 PM   #386
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewNicholas View Post
I guess we dont talk about what we dont understand.
Actually, about 90% of what people talk about on here are things they don't understand.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:43 PM   #387
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

It's been myexperience that Tamiya doesn't follow, they usually lead actually. First raceable stadium truck that started the racing truck class...Blackfoot....
4wd cars WAY before most companies were formed, never mind successful.....Monster trucks, Clodbuster, not only big and bad, 4w steering, twin motors.....A winning sedan that Xray thought was worth copying, when shaft cars were the rage......Some of the best plastic models in the world....Kits that rivaled RTR sales of currrent times, like the Sand Scorcher, Frog, Hornet. The list of firsts is impressive.

Why not the first to use these batteries.

...Jim
W.E.D.
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:31 PM   #388
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim View Post
It's been myexperience that Tamiya doesn't follow, they usually lead actually. First raceable stadium truck that started the racing truck class...Blackfoot....
4wd cars WAY before most companies were formed, never mind successful.....Monster trucks, Clodbuster, not only big and bad, 4w steering, twin motors.....A winning sedan that Xray thought was worth copying, when shaft cars were the rage......Some of the best plastic models in the world....Kits that rivaled RTR sales of currrent times, like the Sand Scorcher, Frog, Hornet. The list of firsts is impressive.

Why not the first to use these batteries.

...Jim
W.E.D.
I'm not bashing Tamiya in any way -- I'm a huge Tamiya fan. I've been into RC for almost 25 years and only got my first non-Tamiya a couple of months ago.

I didn't mean to say that Tamiya doesn't ever have innovative ideas. It's just that they are typically conservative in my opinion when it comes to the electronics.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:03 PM   #389
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Part of the problem with A123 is that they don't scale very well to mod.

Additionally they put us back into the battery matching.

That and the batteries are so large they won't fit easily into existing chassis in touring, off-road, etc. Entirely new cars will have to be designed, where as Lipo packs have been created that fit into current on the market cars.

Paul
Old 11-16-2008, 08:44 AM   #390
Tech Addict

A123 won't gain much in RC until they make cells that fit the cars. LiPo has had to make cells that fit the cars (sometimes with reduced capacity).

The LiPo that SMC is releasing is built to fit in a 12th car and any other manufacturer that wants to make new packs or cells should do the same. Saddle packs for t-bar cars will follow just like saddle packs for dirt.

When A123 puts their technology into a sub C suzed cell I say let them race. Until then they can stay with the bashers.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote