R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-23-2003, 08:02 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Oasis2001
Default Tweak Problem

Just got an interesting problem which may explain why my car has always been a loittle strange to drive. i normally measure my tweak with an MIP tweak station. I get the bubble centered on both ends and drive. Now when i check the tweak by the traditional method the tweak is way out. This method being marking the centre point of the car on both ends and lifting the car up. One wheel lifts up a long time before the other. So basically I cant get it right both by the traditional method and the MIP tweak station. Does this indicate a problem with the tweak station?
Oasis2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 08:57 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Default Re: Tweak Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Oasis2001
Just got an interesting problem which may explain why my car has always been a loittle strange to drive. i normally measure my tweak with an MIP tweak station. I get the bubble centered on both ends and drive. Now when i check the tweak by the traditional method the tweak is way out. This method being marking the centre point of the car on both ends and lifting the car up. One wheel lifts up a long time before the other. So basically I cant get it right both by the traditional method and the MIP tweak station. Does this indicate a problem with the tweak station?
Not necessarily. Before you put the car on the tweak station, ensure the other measurements are set. That includes: droop, ride height, camber, and then tweak. Depending on your car, you may need to reset tweak by loosening the top deck, flatten the chassis, and tighten the top deck.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 10:01 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

also, u can try checking the hinge pins that hold the suspension arms, these cangive you a false reading as regards tweak when u use the traditional method, but may not necessarily be detected when you use the tweak station. just my two cents worth.

Jon
evaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 10:54 AM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

the sounds like a droop difference. the thing with the lifting method is it is not a direct measurement of tweak or droop. if you use the tweak station, you're car will be set correctly for tweak. at this point, you can then adjust your downtravel (droop) with the lifting method. it is fairly crude, but simple and quick, and likely as precise a method as needed.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:16 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Default Tweak Problem

Oasis2001;

Make sure if you have any Sway Bars, to disconnect them from the suspension before checking tweek. Sometimes they can effect the measurement.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 11:20 AM   #6
Tech Addict

I would have to agree with SEABALL. It sounds like you have a droop problems. Make sure all of your downstops are set correctly. Then tweak the car and check it with the conventional method.
BallPy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 12:33 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I always set my droop first, ride height second, then tweek on the MIP station. Make sure your droop is equal on both sides. set your tweek on the station, then try the old method of lifting one end of the car. Your car will lift properly if your droop is even and tweek is set properly.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 03:59 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Oasis2001

Thanks for that guys-those ideas make sense. I measure droop to the tires which could quite easily throw the measurement out. I might put some setup wheels on again and try again.

Thanks for that.
Oasis2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 09:39 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Also if you are using heavy springs and a lot of droop, you may end up having too much spring float, and the arm may not be dropping to full droop. This can happen when i run the red xray crowbars on my car.