R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-23-2003, 07:24 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default why does modern motor wear so quickly?

Hello all, I am new to 1:10 touring and I wonder why are those motors wear so quickly these days? I still remember the old days, people usually don't need to cut the commutator or change brushes or springs so oftern right? Or those modern motors simply outblast (in terms of speed) those old 540 type motors? Thanks!
discus18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 07:28 AM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

It all comes down to competition. To make motors perform like they are brand new or better than brand new, experimentation is a must. Technology has evolved and continues to evolve.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:37 AM   #3
Tech Adept

brushless is the future
versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 09:01 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Default Re: why does modern motor wear so quickly?

Quote:
Originally posted by discus18
Hello all, I am new to 1:10 touring and I wonder why are those motors wear so quickly these days? I still remember the old days, people usually don't need to cut the commutator or change brushes or springs so oftern right? Or those modern motors simply outblast (in terms of speed) those old 540 type motors? Thanks!
Increased speed equals increased maintenance.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 09:04 AM   #5
Tech Elite

When I first started racing no one had a comm lathe, not even the place I raced at... I'd go through a motor every weekend... Motors weren't any less expensive either... Not I have my own lathe and I can get motors to last months, how cool is that???

I remember first reading about brushless motors 10 years ago... You'd have thought by now that more of the major companies would be on the bandwagon... IMO, brushless is going to kill a lot of people's business... Let's be honest, even with a lathe and a brush cutter there's only so much lifespan to a brushed motor... We buy lots of brushes, springs, armatures and whole motors... For a company to put out a motor that will theoretically have an unlimited life span would take a major chunk out of their profits... I don't think the sanctioning bodies will ever completely allow brushless, maybe a small limited class, they get a lot of funding from the big guys making the brushed motors...

But the possibilities with brushless are limitless... You could race the same motor in many different classes all depending on how you set up the controller... Imagine running the motor as an 8 turn one race and a stock the next... Easily done with a chip or a programming change... No more handout motors... You have a slot in your esc and you get a handout chip that limits everyone the same... Races would be decided by the best driver and not the best motor tuner...
vtl1180ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 09:08 AM   #6
Tech Adept

if there's enough demand for brushless, there will be supply.
companies adapt to the market, not the other way round.

thats my personal belief.

if there's enough response from the masses for brushless motors, then it will be accepted.

at the moment brushless for R/C is still at its infancy, with the current novak brushless system leading the way.

personally i think there's still lots of room for improvement for brushless systems. but sooner or later it will be the future.

sanctioning bodies will have to allow brushless motors once every tom, dick and hairy owns one
Old 09-23-2003, 09:15 AM   #7
Tech Elite

How can you say RC's still in its infancy??? I was racing 15 years ago... If it's is, it's a tart... It'll never be huge, not like Nascar... It'll always be comparable to something like MotoGP here in the states... The europeans and asians love their motorcycle racing... Here we love to be fat and watch a boring sport like baseball...
Old 09-23-2003, 09:23 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by vtl1180ny
How can you say RC's still in its infancy??? I was racing 15 years ago... If it's is, it's a tart... It'll never be huge, not like Nascar... It'll always be comparable to something like MotoGP here in the states... The europeans and asians love their motorcycle racing... Here we love to be fat and watch a boring sport like baseball...
at the moment brushless for R/C is still at its infancy
Old 09-23-2003, 09:34 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
hummm reread this line (at the moment brushless for R/C is still at its infancy, with the current novak brushless system leading the way.) looks like he has stated that brushless was in the infancy not the r/c industry.

I have been racing for 12 years and have seen a lot of changes most good some bad. but the concept of brushless is both. but like stated before it will hurt the small motor tuners first .

as far as the new motors not lasting as long is true due to the fact that a person can open the can up and and cut the com . in the old days if u didnt have a 300 dollar stock lathe the only thing you could do is keep the com clean with a com stick and hope it didnt glitch when you put in new brushes. but I like the new motors they are much more powerful then the old.

'OL BUZZARD FARMING (lol)
howard hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 09:42 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Sorry... I missed a word... Hehehe...

There's a huge future for brushless but I'm not sure if Trinity, AE or most of the other companies want to go that route...

Yes... I never cutt a comm till I got my own lathe... Went through lots of comm sticks though...
Old 09-23-2003, 10:03 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Quote:
There's a huge future for brushless but I'm not sure if Trinity, AE or most of the other companies want to go that route...
agreed. but i feel that the moment a company mass produce and market brushless and at a lower price, it will go mainstream.. and once the masses get their hands on brushless.. then there's no turning back.

i believe nobody here wish to spend money maintaining their motors, myself included. everybody would love to have a motor that lasts, and lasts..and lasts..not to mention more efficient as well

im going to wait for a while till the technology matures, and the prices goes down a little. i have a feeling that novak will be *the* brushless motors to have in the near future, if they continue their R&D on brushless technology. any novak rep has anything to say?
Old 09-23-2003, 11:47 AM   #12
Tech Elite

part of the reason the motors dont last aslong is that we are using brushes that contain a higher percentage of silver than in the earlier days of r/c add to that the volatages the batteries are pushing out and the wieght of the cars and the load they put on the motors. the stuff we use today in the average joe shmoes tool box 5 years ago would have put him in the a main at a national we are getting the technology of the factory team 2 or 3 years later. what ever they are using now we'll see in our car 1 or 2 years from now they test it and race it win with it then we get it. the motors we are all using have ti indure higher loads with the sedans take the same motors put them in 12 scales or ten scale pancars and the motors will go longer between rebuilds, guys the rest of the world still races pancars we dont because thats the way the manufactures want it ! the motors are better than ever we just run them into the ground harder!
Old 09-23-2003, 12:33 PM   #13
Tech Elite

As the voltage/capacity of batteries has increased, so the number of winds in our motors has decreased! Modern motors are soooooooo much faster than in the 'old days'

I have a strong feeling that brushless motors are going to take off big time very soon. When classes start opening up with brushless motors, other classes will follow suit. Who's still going to want to race brushed motor classes when brushless are legal?

And when people start buying brushless motors and controllers, which companies are going to make money? That's right - those mainstream companies who offered them first. Nice one Novak!!

Does anyone want to buy my comm lathe? I doubt it
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 12:34 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by versa

i believe nobody here wish to spend money maintaining their motors, myself included. everybody would love to have a motor that lasts, and lasts..and lasts..not to mention more efficient as well

I might be strange but I enjoy rebuilding my motors. It also gives me something to do between races. I also like trying different things and working with my dyno to find better motor combinations. Once brushless takes over about all we will be able to do is play with the esc programing choices or maybe hack into the controller and redo the factory programing.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 12:53 PM   #15
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by ottoman
Once brushless takes over about all we will be able to do is play with the esc programing choices or maybe hack into the controller and redo the factory programing. [/B]
Or you can spend your time working on the setup and practicing, in stead of cutting motors.