R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-23-2003, 12:55 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Cool

Ottoman:

You're not strange bro', but you're definitely one of a dying breed - apparently 'most of us' would rather buy factory built cars and use motors that never go wrong.

I know exactly what you mean too. If I went out and put brushless motors in my main race cars, I'd still like to tinker with my brushed motors in at least one of my cars, just because I've got the gear and actually like maintaining them.

But the way forward is more power, greater efficiency, greater reliability etc etc. It's going to happen soon. In the UK, the next CML RRCI Off Road championship is going to allow the use of brushless motors. I intend to run them in that series and I admit that I have very high expectations of the new systems - huge performance but without any hassle. Awesome
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 01:04 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by ottoman

I might be strange but I enjoy rebuilding my motors. It also gives me something to do between races. I also like trying different things and working with my dyno to find better motor combinations. Once brushless takes over about all we will be able to do is play with the esc programing choices or maybe hack into the controller and redo the factory programing.
otto, you aint strange at all, i understand what your saying. motor tuning/tweaking is an art/challenge by itself, and its something to master

BUT, the main thing that really pains people bout brushed motor, is the maintainance and running costs.

Quote:
Originally posted by mo
Or you can spend your time working on the setup and practicing, in stead of cutting motors.
agreed. besides, in big races, i believe they are using handout motors.. and it all boils down to your driving skill, not how experienced or how good you are at tweaking your motor..
versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 01:06 PM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

guys you have your own post to talk about brushless go there .
we are taliking about motors wearing quickly not everybody wants to hear about those anoying brushless motors dont take it personal guys but there is a thread for that already .
there are a greater number of people racing brushed motors in none sanctioned competion than you guys because we choose to tune and tinker with them. we can all tallk on youre chat, the question for this thread is why are the motor wearing quickly . like i said this isnt personal and i am not trying to pee you brushless guys off!
Old 09-23-2003, 02:10 PM   #19
Tech Adept

If brushed motors is to survive the next 5years it need to go thru a MAJOR metaphorsis like big multi-segmented comms(i.e astro-flight)
crono man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 03:21 PM   #20
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio
Ottoman:

You're not strange bro', but you're definitely one of a dying breed - apparently 'most of us' would rather buy factory built cars and use motors that never go wrong

I think most racers would rather build there own cars.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 03:26 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Red face

Dy'a know, Speedxl U R right. The question on this thread is 'why do modern motors wear so fast'. That has already been answered comprehensively - but I thought that brushless motors are modern AND they don't wear out fast, so I guess that they're part of the answer are they not?

I like tinkering with my many brushed motors - I always will, but I don't find anything annoying about the new brushless motors. It's called progress! In the same way that I don't hate touring cars just because I started racing buggies (with a Tamiya Sandscorcher) when electric racing was in it's infancy. Food for thought perhaps?

Well guys as the 'Police' are out tonight I guess this thread is dead.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:46 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Fatdoggy: We all know that 'racer's' rather build their own cars. But I bet you that the RTR TC3 out-sells just about any other touring car world-wide and that only a tiny percentage of these EVER hits a race track. Where I said 'apparently most of us would rather have a factory built car' you can read 'us' as the model car buying consumers as a whole. Unfortunately most of 'us' aren't model car racers. That's why it's important to keep newbies in the sport and get them to try racing before their new 'toys' get put in the attic. If brushless motors help lessen the hassle factor of racing, thereby making the sport of racing model cars more accessable, then roll on the brushless revolution! If that means that brushed motor classes become the minority in the near future, so be it. I can live with that even though I love my brushed motors to death.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:26 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Somebody here is a reddwarf fan!
crono man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 04:41 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Talking

Crono man: Yep, I confess - I used to watch it every week

You must be a brit too!!
Old 09-23-2003, 05:14 PM   #25