Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Losi Xcelorin S Brushless >

Losi Xcelorin S Brushless

Losi Xcelorin S Brushless

Old 10-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Tech Adept

Default Losi Xcelorin S Brushless

Hi, im probably going to get an Xcelorin S 3.5T brushless combo tomorrow from my local hobby store.

I need as much info on them as possible PLEEEASE.

Such as:

Will a Tamiya TA-05 be able to handle it (3.5T Version),

Is it worth the £115,

I have got a 15x2T peak griffin brushed motor at the moment, what will the performance difference be if i do get the 3.5T brushless version,

Will it end up costing me less in the long run if i buy this brushless combo now, like, will buying brushes and maintaing my brushed motor and esc cost more over time?,

What are the Pro's and Con's, how does it compare to a Mamba Max?

How is the PC equipment that comes with it?

I drive mostly around car parks and big open tarmac areas but race mostly once a week on carpet.

Any Advice on this would be VERY appreciated as i don't want to find out the hard way if this combo is rubbish :P
Please reply with an info on this please.
Thanks!
Old 10-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

IMO the 3.5 is WAY overkill if your currently running a 15 turn brushed motor. I would stick with a 6.5 or even the 8.5, both will be much faster than the motor you are currently running.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:53 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Matt Howard
IMO the 3.5 is WAY overkill if your currently running a 15 turn brushed motor. I would stick with a 6.5 or even the 8.5, both will be much faster than the motor you are currently running.
Hmm ok, but i've seen on the Xcelorin PC set-up that you can change the max throttle, the timing etc. Could i use this limit the speed until i gain experience and then change the limit when i feel i can control it?

Thanks for replying.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Limerick91
Hmm ok, but i've seen on the Xcelorin PC set-up that you can change the max throttle, the timing etc. Could i use this limit the speed until i gain experience and then change the limit when i feel i can control it?

Thanks for replying.
you could do that, but the Pro's don't even race motors as fast as the 3.5 unless they're running 5 cells on a big track. You're asking for trouble if you go with the 3.5
Old 10-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

TOASTY!!!!!
Old 10-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Matt Howard
you could do that, but the Pro's don't even race motors as fast as the 3.5 unless they're running 5 cells on a big track. You're asking for trouble if you go with the 3.5
Wow, i didn't know they were THAT fast =/

Are they a lot faster than a 15T brushed then?
I've found out the hardest thing so far is to convince my dad to let me spend £115 on this, hes a stubborn person...
Old 10-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Tech Champion

Wow, i didn't know they were THAT fast =/

Are they a lot faster than a 15T brushed then?
I've found out the hardest thing so far is to convince my dad to let me spend £115 on this, hes a stubborn person...

If you go from a 15 turn to a 3.5 it's like jogging a quarter mile then getting in a car and doing that same quarter mile. It's a night and day difference.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by STLNLST
If you go from a 15 turn to a 3.5 it's like jogging a quarter mile then getting in a car and doing that same quarter mile. It's a night and day difference.
Hah, good analogy

Would it be good for tearing around big car parks and the like? There is quite a lot of big open tarmac spaces around where i live so would it be suited to that or do you still think its too fast?
Old 10-13-2008, 03:21 PM
Tech Champion

Hah, good analogy

Would it be good for tearing around big car parks and the like? There is quite a lot of big open tarmac spaces around where i live so would it be suited to that or do you still think its too fast?

It's always nice to have a 3.5 to play around with if you have the space. It is much harder on tire's and equipment. Diff rebuilds will need to be done more often.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:30 PM
Tech Adept

It's always nice to have a 3.5 to play around with if you have the space. It is much harder on tire's and equipment. Diff rebuilds will need to be done more often.
Would you suggest getting more experience before buying one? I've only officially raced once and have only had 2 tamiya chassis' so far (TL-01 and currently a TA-05), my dad keeps saying get a lot more experience before i buy one, do you think that is nessacery?

Thanks for replying
Old 10-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Tech Champion

Would you suggest getting more experience before buying one? I've only officially raced once and have only had 2 tamiya chassis' so far (TL-01 and currently a TA-05), my dad keeps saying get a lot more experience before i buy one, do you think that is nessacery?

Thanks for replying

Your dad is correct. I also would get more actual race time in racing the beginner class which is 17.5 or start off in super stock (13.5) before you take the mod leap.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Tech Adept

Your dad is correct. I also would get more actual race time in racing the beginner class which is 17.5 or start off in super stock (13.5) before you take the mod leap.
Hmm, ok maybe ill leave going brushless for a while then,

Thanks for your help
Old 10-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Tech Champion

Hmm, ok maybe ill leave going brushless for a while then,

Thanks for your help
Going brushless and lipo takes two important pieces out of the picture. Without having to worry about brush fade or battery drop off you can work on your set up. Give brushless a try.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:20 AM
Tech Adept

Going brushless and lipo takes two important pieces out of the picture. Without having to worry about brush fade or battery drop off you can work on your set up. Give brushless a try.
I am definately tempted to go brushless and lipo. As for convincing my parents to let me spend £115 thats a different matter. So all in good time hopefully,

Thanks for your help
Old 10-14-2008, 08:28 AM
Tech Champion

I am definately tempted to go brushless and lipo. As for convincing my parents to let me spend £115 thats a different matter. So all in good time hopefully,

Thanks for your help
Just save your money and keep you grades up and maybe santa will be nice to you. Until that happens just take good care of your motors and nihm packs and really pay attention to your car. Check the bearings every once and a while, make sure your shocks and all moving parts are are free.