Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Front one-way diff's illegal - What do you think? >

Front one-way diff's illegal - What do you think?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Front one-way diff's illegal - What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 09:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Front one-way diff's illegal - What do you think?

One of the rule proposals for the 2004 FSEARA state series season is to make front one-way diffs illegal. I'm just curious as to what people think about the possibility of one-ways becoming illegal.

I personally wouldn't mind either way, since I never run a one way to begin with, but I do think that if this rule proposal was enacted the competition would be much closer.

Aside from this just being a localized rules issue, I still figured that it would make for a good debate for all racers and not just Florida racers, so let's here your opinions!

Last edited by Accord; 09-21-2003 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I assume the reason for banning them is to make for closer racing? If that's the case then just start giving people stop and go penalties when they hack someone. At my local track, speedworld raceway, one driver is always up with the race director specifically looking for hacks and dealing out the stop and go penalties as they happen. I personally think banning oneways is the easy way out from dealing with aggresive drivers but not the right way.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Totally agree!Why make drivers who can drive with them suffer for a hacks driving style.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:29 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Matt's suggestion sounds like a better way of controlling the situation as opposed to banning them. Unless it is a spec class then there should be no restrictions on mods.....otherwise the next thing will be that you cannot use handwounds because they are faster!!! First one-ways...what will be next??!!??
Old 09-21-2003, 10:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Don't forget, banning oneways limits the choice of cars. Some cars are only sold with oneways, and finding a complete diff for them may be hard at times.... (Evo3 at the beginning of the year, it was hard to find a diff or build one....) Also, if you are gonna ban oneways, why not ban spools as well? It offers the same steering (in reverse sense) but also offers braking? Is braking the reason for the ban? Or is it just that oneways are just that much faster at your track? I myself love oneways. It's my prefered method of racing. But spools can be just as fun. Only problem with spools, I have a Yokomo SD. I have to make a Spool myself. It's not like a TC3 or XXX-S where I can just go out and buy one. So I end up eatting up alot of plastic outdrives... blah blah blah..

I agree with Matt. Punish the Hackers... not the oneways!
Old 09-21-2003, 10:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'm not even sure if the reason for the rule proposal is to prevent aggressive driving (i.e. hacking). I'm fairly sure it's just to create a more spectactor friendly race with cars constantly trying to out brake each other rather than trying to "out coast" each other and other things making for a great race which is both fun to watch and participate in.

Also, this is for the entire state series at many different tracks, this isn't just a local club rule proposal at one track. There are many FSEARA racers on RCTech, so hopefully they will all chime in aswell.

Please don't let this turn into another hacking vs. non-hacking debate, we've already had enough of them on these forums and i'm fairly certain that this is not even the reason behind the rule proposal to ban one ways in the first place .

Last edited by Accord; 09-21-2003 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

John, the reasoning behind the proposal is pretty much what has already been said.

To promote closer racing, and try to lower the amount of hack jobs from people diving in with a spool or dif vs the people that are rolling in. Then again at Minnreg, we have people running both and racing clean.

I like Matt's idea too. We really should enforce some kind of stop and go penalty for hacks. This can sometimes be hard to enforce though, and is a judgement call. Our series is at 7 different tracks and the consistancy of such calls would be way off ,as not the same people race at all tracks, and not the same same judge would be there.

I think we should keep the one-ways. If people can drive faster with them, then have at.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

At our track (very tight, very technical carpet track) we have guys that run both. Racing is very close and very rarely do you have an incident. If we do 95% percent of the time the driver stops and waits for the other car to get back in front.

The top drivers will be fast either way.

I due agree with Accord first one-ways then whats next?

Later,
Old 09-22-2003, 06:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

We don't have the same person calling hacks. instead of marshalling, one of the drivers from the previous heat just goes up to the timing stand to help the race director help call hacks. with two people it's alot easier to see what's going on.