Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Caffieine and racing.... >

Caffieine and racing....

Caffieine and racing....

Old 10-09-2008, 07:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have caught a lot of flak from several people I race with about my ability to race while extremely hung over. I really don't understand why, but some of what I would consider my best runs ever, have been after being out partying until 3 or 4am. And this is usually without caffeine. Doesn't matter what class either, 1/12 stock or mod, and nitro offroad.

I personally haven't found a direct connection to performance and any performance enhancing (but yes, some deterring) substance. I use VRC quite frequently and will do so at all hours of the day which has helped to show myself when I will perform my best. What I have found is that a good night's sleep is still the best way to run consistently well.

I have also tried a method we used to use when I swam competitively. For big meets we would create a race plan. Either written down or just in your head, you would plan exactly how you will warm up, what your ritual is before the race, and then how you will swim the race right down to every stroke and turn. We were to the point where we could close our eyes, swim the race in our head, and have the time it with a stop watch and finish within .5 second of our actual time.

When racing, my biggest problem is the first lap. It takes me a little while to get the feel for the car and get into a rhythm. So what I like to do sometimes is grab my transmitter, and a heat or two before mine, find a good driver, and drive their car around the track. It helps time your reactions so you can hit the track already in the rhythm. When it comes to caffeine, I really only need it sometimes to kick the grogginess feeling.

So let me break it down simply:

For the ideal racing day I would: 1) Get a good night's sleep. 2) Have a light to moderate workout in the morning (I find that helps alleviate the grogginess feeling the best). 3) When at the track, have a beer or two (not more than four). 4) Warm up before my heat by "ghost" driving another car. 5) Get our there and kick some @$$!!!
Old 10-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Tech Champion

Pre-sponosorship days I used to go to a pub/club until closing (2 or 3am) and usually made the A at club races with only about 4 hours sleep, but on reflection I don't feel I had full control of my car.

It's too easy to have a few beers and make silly,or big mistakes for me. Also, wrecking your own car is one thing, but I would have felt guilty wrecking someone elses.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:54 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I've gotten to the point where I have to have some caffeine in my system. It doesn't make me jittery, just awake and calm. I make myself jittery, caffeine or not.

My best race nights usually start with an extra large coffee, and a few moments to get my head into zen mode. I've found since I stopped racing with a vision to be the guy in front, I do better. It's sort of a relaxed state of mind, concentrating only on keeping the car flowing around the track. After that, the passing of other cars takes care of itself.

Works for me.

Jim
Old 10-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Funniest thing I've ever seen with caffine was at the kart races. The RED BULL girls showed up and where passing out free samples, and of course all the Jr 1 (kids 5-8) where guzzeling these things like crazy. Then they all got togeather and roamed the pits in a pack of stirred up, frenzied kids. You couldn't even talk to them cause you couldn't get their attention long enough to make eye contact. It just reminded me of this large dust cloud of kids like on a "peanut" cartoon strip, chasing a ball. Boy I feel for those parents that day. LOL.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Being the health crazed vegetarian that I am... I can't remember the last time I had caffeine. Since my cholesterol intake is so low I alway have energy. No need for caffeine ever. Kids at school wonder why I can go through the whole day on 6 hours of sleep and listen to the teacher without my head on the desk.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Tech Champion

The stupidest thing about me and caffiene...

Went to a meeting tired, asked a friend for some coffee, but couldnt find a cup.

Prompty found a clean container I kept some cotton buds in and gave it to my friend to fill with some coffee...

Yup, being the half asleep idiot I was, it had holes in the bottom... Never seen 2 guys move their cells and chargers so quickly in my life

Caffiene.... Just like the wife- cant live with it, cant live without it
Old 10-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCSteve93
Being the health crazed vegetarian that I am... I can't remember the last time I had caffeine. Since my cholesterol intake is so low I alway have energy. No need for caffeine ever. Kids at school wonder why I can go through the whole day on 6 hours of sleep and listen to the teacher without my head on the desk.
coz you're a wierdo :P

j/k lol

I don't drink caffeine very often, maybe a cup of tea every once in a while. however, I can't comment on what it does to my driving, I'm a fairly terrible racer without it. well, with my old tc
Old 10-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Some of you guys are nuts. Caffeine type energy drinks are a load of crap for any type of performance enhancement. I guess if your feeling your heart racing, and your palms sweating, it's natural to assume that you're ready to do battle. I'm sure we've all read the occasional story about a professional athelete taking caffiene pills to get amped up, but if you do any research, you will find they cause more harm than good.

I read a candid article in one of the motocross mags interviewing some of the top mechanics in the sport. They stated that none of their riders drink that stuff before an event, contrary to what their sponsors want us to think.

Sure, the stuff works great for a pick me up, so much so, that I myself start to 'sweat' from it, but it does keep me awake.

I guess what bothers me the most is seeing kids drinking that stuff. You'd be better off giving them a 2 liter bottle of Mountan Dew to suck down.

Actually, doing a bunch of coke is probably safer than downing a bunch of energy drinks!!! Joking of course!!!.........or am I? hmmmmmmmmmm...
Old 10-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I am a daily coffee drinker. Saying that, i have to have my usual 2-3 cups in the morning, then I am good.But if I lay off the caffeine the rest of the day I find My driving becomes more fluid and smooth. If a drink a dew with lunch I drive kinda twitchy for a couple hours afterwards. So I would say my fastest laps and best runs are without caffeine.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Blow Out!!! Yikes!!!

Originally Posted by teammidget lilB
I dont drink much caffeine at all and never on race days or the night before as it gets me really anxous and I tend to blow out more than I already do....
Hate when you need the "depends" before the racing even starts!!!!

We all did know what you were saying!!!

R
Old 10-10-2008, 01:16 AM
Tech Champion

I wonder what's worse.... an energy drink giving you the shakes, or a beer?

Anyone want to try it?
Old 10-10-2008, 06:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3team
I wonder what's worse.... an energy drink giving you the shakes, or a beer?

Anyone want to try it?
I'll let you know Sunday night. I'm about to head out of town for a race this weekend. There are always a few brews passed around, and our series is sponsored by Full Throttle Energy Drinks! Its easy to pick up 4 or 5 for free.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtbboy
Caffeine definately has a performance advantage in certain sports.
As per my avatar I race bikes and without a doubt it improves heart rate response.

I also feel that in r/c if you tend to get nervous on the stand, coffee or whatever stimulant you choose will only serve to exaggerate those issues.

Conversely if you have a problem staying focussed on the job at hand for the full five or eight minutes. It will give you an edge there.

There are also studies that have shown it to improve synaptic response (faster reactions).

My twoonies worth.
Dave.
I'm one of the adult ride leaders for the Woodcreek High School Mountain Bike Club -- http://www.weracemountainbikes.com/ ...we race with the Norcal High School Mountain Bike Racing League http://www.norcalmtb.org/
...as of last year they have a ban on the use of caffeine (as well as Creatine, Guaranį Root and Taurine). It's kind of a lame duck rule, because a lot of riders (e.g. me) use gel flasks for our energy gel, so how is anyone to know what's in it. Additionally the "league sponsored food vendor" sells cafenieted drinks at the race venueus
Old 10-10-2008, 06:49 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by gubbs3
I'll let you know Sunday night. I'm about to head out of town for a race this weekend. There are always a few brews passed around, and our series is sponsored by Full Throttle Energy Drinks! Its easy to pick up 4 or 5 for free.
i'm off racing tonight, I won't be touching any caffiene until after the meeting. Will it improve my times.... doubt it
Old 10-10-2008, 07:23 AM
Suspended

i think anyone that's pulled an all-nighter studying for finals in college can relate to getting "the shakes."
i also recall a racing buddy who always had a cup o' java in his hand regardless of the time of day or night, and he seemingly always started off as one of the more smooth drivers but turned into a crashaholic as the heats progressed
i also think like a lot of things it depends on knowing when to say when

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.