Designing A Prototype Car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Designing A Prototype Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 09:14 PM
Tech Adept

SOOOOOOOOOOOOo many negative people in this world. Thank heaven for all the creative people out there or we might never know what an R/C car is.... Keep your thoughts positive and build your dream car. I know I am.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:13 PM
Tech Addict

I help with ideas:d I love this kinda stuff
Old 09-21-2003, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For shaft drive, I would suggest using the TC3 drive train... diffs, gears. It's a proven design and well supported (parts).

If belt drive... how about XXX-S diffs and belt. Hmmm would be interesting seeing an open diff design based on this. Batteries closer to center. Yokomo SD suspension... or Evo3.

Soo many possiblities.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey KilRuf,..

For me, if its belt drive, I would preferred equal length belt... Something like RClab. Its just the oppinion..

BTW, RACER XXX, what software are using for designing.?
Old 09-21-2003, 11:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Shah, read up a couple posts... he listed his software for milling machines and design...
Old 09-21-2003, 11:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Yup I saw it, thanks..
Old 09-22-2003, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Chassis:
-Batteries mounted in the center line
-Shaft drive down one side
-use long diffs like the pro3 to acomidate the side shaft
-3mm graphit chassis with upper deck again similar to pro3
-Center mounted motor.

Tricky to do i know.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey I never said it couldn't be done and yes I would like to help... and possibly gain access to a prototype (I will pay of coarse).... Now a few comments on suggestions already made......

Shaft cars---- You will never design a shaft car that looks any different than what is already available.... PERIOD the TC3 is the mold and all others follow.....

Dust-- a belt drive system for a full scale car would be near impossible, first to handle the torque that their engines place on the drivetrain the belt would have to be super thick and would be extremely rigid... this doesn't mean shafts are better for RC use... If you want to make a good arguement for your cause please find something that actually relates to RC..... BTW: wanna bet your shaft drive cars are more free... I have a XXX-S G+ that I will bet outrolls ANY non-pro prepared shaft car 2-speed nitros aside due to their one-way bearings on the 2-speed shaft....

Joel- Good idea... but it will not work for a few reasons... first with the shaft and both ring gears on 1 side the car will torque steer so severly it would never drive straight. Second.with all 6 cells down the centerline and the motor there to the car would be about 4 inches too long unless you used very small ring gears combined with sever axle angles which would cause tons of drag, impossible gearing, not to mention the frint axles would probably snap everytime you tried to turn.... But you do get major points for style!!!!!

Besides Joel everybody wnats to build something that has already been done.... I have a few ideas but right now I need to get to sleep..... Later
Old 09-22-2003, 06:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Whitch size?

It would be cool!
But there are to much TC cars out there!
I think it is clever to build a 1/12 car (and much more easyer)
Old 09-22-2003, 06:31 AM
Tech Master

yeah id help but the prob is this.
i want a shaft drive car with the evo3 transmission.
some one else wants a belt driven car with a losi transmission.
someone else wants a tc3 transmission.
than u got the suspension components.
i want tamiya wishbones hubs
someone else wants losi wishbones and hubs.etc.
but i have the best answere.
evo3 transmission and suspension with a 3 mm thick lower deck
and revised suspension geomatry. oh wait a minute thats the evo3 sl.
the only way round this is to prototype every inderviduall car for every person/conditions.
i would b willing to help but the majority of people will all want different things which will cause a row.
just my 2 cents worth.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Drive train

Hey guys right now were deciding on the drive train..

My decision is going to be the TC3 drive train components,its fast and efficent and the parts suppy is everywhere.
One thing i am going to exclude is the diff housing for the TC3.

So that means i am going to machine my own bulkheads to fit the TC3 diffs and housings.

Also i had a great idea, but will be a later project.
I am going to take a Schumacher Axis 2 chassis and turn it into shaft driven car, its going to be called S AXIS. Its going to have a shaft drive train, with a new chassis with the batts on one side... kinda like the TC3 but with race proven schumacher suspension.

Cool idea?

Thanks

Edward Pickering
Old 09-22-2003, 08:37 AM
Tech Regular

I agree with the TC3 drive train.

STeve
Old 09-22-2003, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Yo Yo again

JOEL - Intresting idea you have but i am worried about the tourqe steer as IMPACTPLAYR stated, but ts good to have these ideas so we can combine them together, also for suspension i figured that it would be cool to use the R2 suspesion. Very simple in design and very effective..

Thanks for the support Steve

Thanks Edward Pickering
Old 09-22-2003, 08:46 AM
che
Tech Regular

I would like to see a single shaft car with the drive line (shaft), lowered further down than the TC3. Cut an opening in the chassis and have the shaft site 'into the chassis, almost level with bottom of the chassis. Then you could put a low center brace down the middle to stiffen it, or center mount your batteries (like Joel mentioned) on top of the shaft.

I know the beveled gearing to the diffs would be difficult to re-work, but this would make a LC of gravity car with lots of mounting options for electrics and batteries.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Definitely don't want the shaft down the side, the gyroscopic forces at speed would make the car go in circles, not to mention the nasty torque steer...

I'm partial the the Yok SD drivetrain... Diffs come out with 4 screws and no disassembly or the rest of the car... and the same arms on all 4 corners so you don't need as many spares... Nylon for the arms and mounts... strong, light and just enough flex but not brittle...

Spur gear directly mounted to the center shaft to cut down on rotating mass... With an ingenious way of getting the shaft in and out quick to facilitate spur gear changes...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.