R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-22-2003, 12:52 AM   #16
Tech Addict

K Tan

When I was sealing up a nice new Yokie option chassis from Japan (spent almost $200 CDN on it) I was sure that the CA had dried on one side. It wasn't and it happened to be sitting on a pit towel. My heart sank when I picked it up and had to yank it away. Took me almost 2 hrs to sand all of the fabric off of the chassis ...didn't make that mistake again!

ECHO

A while back I had a freind of my dad's (an engineer with Dupont) cut out a chassis for me. He was testing various kevlar, aramid and carbon combinations for some aerospace applications at work. He had various sheets that were all different colors so that they were easily ID'd during testing. It was really neat to have blue shock towers and a red chassis on my car. I was worried that it would be weaker than a regular black piece. He told me that the layer of woven carbon that you see on top and bottom of "normal" chassis was already just cosmetic and that you rarely see that 'weave' pattern on non visible or mil-spec components.
buddhatechraceservices @ gmail . com
BuddhaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 03:46 AM   #17
Tech Apprentice

noobie question...

What is CA? I know its glue obviously, but what does CA stand for?

thanks...
BossPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 05:23 AM   #18
Tech Regular

I think it stands for Cyanoacrylate Adhesive...
Johnny J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 08:06 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Exclamation

CA Glue - that's what most people commonly call 'Super Glue' which I believe is the trade name given to it by the Loctite company. Use the thinnest CA to seal ALL the edges of the chassis components including the shock towers, braces and upper decks etc. The thinner the better because it penetrates the weave more effectively. Always use cotton buds (Qtips for all you Americans ) to apply it to the edges, but be sure to look out for any reactions between the CA and the plastic in the Qtip/Cotton Buds - they can get really hot and start to smoke/smoulder!!!!!!! This is obviously a hazard, so if any such occurence is observed be sure to leave any 'smokin' Qtips/Cotton buds in a sink/container of water until the reaction stops. Throwing them in the bin whilst hot could easily start a fire, so be careful. The other thing with CA is that it is potentially VERY dangerous if it comes into contact with skin, especially the eyes for obvious reasons. Please ensure that young people don't get left unsupervised using CA.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 12:35 PM   #20
Tech Regular

If you get too sloppy with the CA, you can use acetone or nail polish remover to clean up the bad spots. If you accidently laid it wet on pit/paper towel, this will get the gunk off and you can re-apply the CA.
Headbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 10:35 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Me+RC=$$$ Send a message via Yahoo to Me+RC=$$$

Quote:
The other thing with CA is that it is potentially VERY dangerous if it comes into contact with skin, especially the eyes for obvious reasons. Please ensure that young people don't get left unsupervised using CA.
Yea, me and some of my buddies were waiting for our batteries to charge and we saw the bottle of CA sitting there and decided to glue our fingers together (yes, we are very stupid).... Thats all I'm going to say
Me+RC=$$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 02:46 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Talking

Me+RC=cccc:

Do I detect an element of sarcasm in your reply?(like in most of your other responses!)

There is a difference between being very young, very ignorant, highly irresponsible and very stupid! I want to make sure that I don't fit into any of these categories.

Presumably, you should too.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote