R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #61
Tech Elite

When I bought my Dark Impact (DF03) right after its release I bought it to convert it to a rally chassis. I have a lot of TA01-02 cars and love them immensely, but I had some rare bodyshells which had a different wheelbase and could not fit the Tamiya chassis. I put the kit together and bashed it like there was no tomorrow. Didn't manage to break anything yet, and is the most neglected car I have. Gave up on the idea of converting it (even though it can be done easily) because I found a number of challenges just good to throw the buggy at. Like climbing the Mundaring weir wallface and crossing to the other side of the river. No problem. Then climbing on rock crawling terrain. This takes some patience but it can be done. And lots and lots of jumping. This buggy is indestructible. I didn't even manage to root the body after landing repeateadly wrong side up on concrete.

I think this is due to the plastic Tamiya uses so I would stay away from strong upgrades which would probably break (carbon fibre, aluminium, hard plastic, etc). Even tierods of aluminium I think are a problem because once bent they break when straightened (my TA05R bears testimony to that). Steel is better.

And I never had any problems with overheating. True, a 23 turn motor isn't the fastest, but I think it's fast enough. After all this is not F1 or touring and you sure don't have the grip to put the power down anyway.

One upgrade I made though was to switch to 64 pitch spur and I use Kawada spurs and pinions which are just brilliant. Never managed to crap them even when forcing the car up rocks and wheels were blocked or spun crazily.

I use a 23 turn motor (dirt tuned) and never fried any gears, the diffs are still smooth and the car doesn't loose traction anywhere. I never opened the gearboxes after I put the kit together years ago. The car would actually climb a vertical wall if the wheels would stick (tested it against the wall).

Rally racing 1/10th is still a dream of mine but I don't see it happening. The way I do it is to take my cars (the old TA02 chassis cars) to parks/public gardens where there are alleys laid with sawdust and woodchips. The cars are in their element there and you can do anything you want from rally drifting around the corners to powerslides and jumps, precision driving (between trees, boulders or stumps) or jumping over little creeks. The TA02 and others like the DF03 with completly sealed gearboxes are perfect for this and short of getting a twig in the driveshaft/wheel you can't stop these cars.

But the complexity of the terrain you need is the main obstacle in having rally as a racing class. You need the right terrain and a lot of dedicated fans to keep the track in top nick (sawdust is best kept a bit moist, otherwise it is blown off the track in no time by the cars repeatedly driving on the same line). And you have to convince the council you need to have that nice little park to yourself. If it takes off in the US at grassroots level like crawling, it may actually convince the companies to produce more cars which in turn would make more fans, and then we may have a chance.

On the other hand even the WRC seems in danger of shutting down at the moment with so many manufacturers withdrawing and I am not sure how that will affect R/C. There are still a lot of nice WRC cars to make in 1/10th scale, current and yesteryear, but without a market for them it is unlikely it will happen and the market only grows if there are competitions. Fulvia HF anyone?

Last edited by niznai; 02-27-2009 at 10:37 PM.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:34 AM   #62
Tech Initiate

Smile

Old 02-28-2009, 02:44 PM   #63
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

LOL I've been bashing on my front driveway with my DF03 (Dark Impact) with rally block tires for more than a month now. Been having a blast. No breakages so far. Even with the offroad body its still a dust magnet. Car is bone stock with no mods other than some good electronics, lipo, spektrum and a 13.5 BL.

Does anyone know if there is a conversion kit available for the rally body? If not what parts do I need to convert? (ie. body mounts, arms & driveshafts)
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:23 PM   #64
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to streetracer745

Do you want to convert completely to the Rally version? If so then take your manual parts list and compare the towers, shocks, drive shafts, arms, and possibly diff output joints. probly axle carriers too.

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
streetracer745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:27 PM   #65
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetracer745 View Post
Do you want to convert completely to the Rally version? If so then take your manual parts list and compare the towers, shocks, drive shafts, arms, and possibly diff output joints. probly axle carriers too.
Sounds like quite a few parts than just arms, axles and body mounts. Perhaps I should just buy the kit and part out what I need including the body.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #66
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to streetracer745

Oh yeh and body mounts... No for all you know it will only cost $50 to convert and $200 to buy new... Just take the time to look. You might realize you can do it cheap. It might just be towers, arms, shafts, and mounts...

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
streetracer745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:50 PM   #67
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Guys, I am interested in the rally car.

Question, what parts are needed to convert the df-03 to ra? arms, shafts, shock showers, shocks?

will I be able to reuse turn knuckles, hub carriers, etc.? There's a buggy with some goods I'm looking at on ebay

also, when will this be more available? I'm not showing much on ebay.. says preorder for april?

THanks
spawn_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:36 PM   #68
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn_x View Post
Guys, I am interested in the rally car.

Question, what parts are needed to convert the df-03 to ra? arms, shafts, shock showers, shocks?

will I be able to reuse turn knuckles, hub carriers, etc.? There's a buggy with some goods I'm looking at on ebay

also, when will this be more available? I'm not showing much on ebay.. says preorder for april?

THanks
You will need N, B, and E parts (DF03RA kit). This takes care of all the suspension parts you need and miscellaneous other plastics. Then you need shocks, springs, turnbuckles (tie rods plus camber links), driveshafts, wheels, tires. That's it. It might actually work cheaper to buy a new kit.

Yes, knuckles and hubs are the same.

The kits are on the market now and selling (and have been for a while).
Old 03-26-2009, 12:56 AM   #69
Tech Fanatic

got it, thanks. they just seem to be very limited, both sale wise and information wise. too bad..

say, what's the difference?

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58417
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58430

besides the body.. seem to be 40 dollar difference in price
Old 03-26-2009, 02:26 AM   #70
Tech Elite

Quote:
got it, thanks. they just seem to be very limited, both sale wise and information wise. too bad..

say, what's the difference?

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58417
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58430

besides the body.. seem to be 40 dollar difference in price
Besides the body? None.

I see the same price on the pages you linked, 332$.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:31 AM   #71
Tech Fanatic

Sorry, I wasn't talking the tamiya price, but the street price, seems to be 40 bucks cheaper for one than the other on ebay..

I guess though since they're same MSRP price they must be the same

Thanks, appreciate it.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:03 AM   #72
Tech Elite

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't talking the tamiya price, but the street price, seems to be 40 bucks cheaper for one than the other on ebay..
Keep digging or just wait for the novelty to wear off a bit. They'll be the same price in the end.

One question. Putting together my car today I discovered the rear right lower suspension arm rubs the motor plate from 1/2 compression upwards. Anyone had the same problem?

Last edited by niznai; 03-26-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #73
Tech Apprentice

Default been looking into these...

I just wish Tamiya would get over their love affair with Subaru...I know they're dominant in WRC and all, but still, how many Subaru lids are out there now, 9? Just from Tamiya alone? I suppose I coud always scare up a set of wheels and tires form the old F150 stadium truck...I always loved that body...
Sand Scorcher
ChattyMatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #74
Tech Elite

I think it is a problem to do with what company will sign with tamiya for the rights to do the bodies. At the moment the WRC is basically down to two manufacturers and a number of privateers, so what are you going to do? Easier to deal with a japanese company you already had contracts running with, isn't it? Besides WRC is on its deathbed so who cares for rally cars anymore?

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #75
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

^^^ ive been watching WRC on speedchannel till they cut it and have been a big fan since way back. dunno why it took so long for me to do it but i ordered a 08 DF-03RA WRC today. when i get the kit i could start enjoying bashing around my backyard, after i build a course for it (big task/LOL)
anything to look out for ?gonna keep you guys updated, TIA
freeway is offline   Reply With Quote