R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #271
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bymannan View Post
Hi All, I am looking to get this kit. I have a few questions about it, hope you can help.

1. Can I run LiPo with the stock motor and ESC? I plan to use a ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 2S1P 20C hardcase pack. There isn't much use for an old NiMH battery, I plan to go Brushless at some point.

2. How much run time can I expect from the stock setup with the above LiPo?
I am a heli guy, on helis you fly for like 4.5 minutes... So I hope this will be a lot more.

3. Can this car kinda rally drift with stock electronics? Can it do that with any electronics configuration?

Thanks for now
My Evo 5 edition didn't come with a ESC (some do, some don't), but wasn't fussed anyway. I had an old LRP that I run - with Lipo Cut Off and Brushless ready. However, I don't think you need huge speed to have fun with this car, so am just running it with a Tamiya 540 Silvercan.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:54 AM   #272
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord View Post
My Evo 5 edition didn't come with a ESC (some do, some don't), but wasn't fussed anyway. I had an old LRP that I run - with Lipo Cut Off and Brushless ready. However, I don't think you need huge speed to have fun with this car, so am just running it with a Tamiya 540 Silvercan.
That's a good idea, getting an evo 5 and with the price diff get a nice HK ESC...

What is the max battery size you can squeeze to the battery tray? Those nice HK batters are 140x47x26.6, will those fit?
bymannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:50 AM   #273
Tech Master

Quote:
That's a good idea, getting an evo 5 and with the price diff get a nice HK ESC...

What is the max battery size you can squeeze to the battery tray? Those nice HK batters are 140x47x26.6, will those fit?
I use this stick pack: http://cgi.ebay.com/Intellect-Lipo-B...item3cb103ad46

There's still a bit of room left, but not much.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:36 AM   #274
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord View Post
I use this stick pack:

There's still a bit of room left, but not much.
Seems on the edge... How much run time do you get with that one?
bymannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:20 AM   #275
Tech Rookie

Default Hey guys

Hey guys, I have a sparrowhawk XXB, brushless, its a good car, has had some mechanical issues. But all in all a good car, and fun times to be had. So the story is me and my roomate race in our yard, we made a little track but it is not smooth just dead grass and plenty of little holes but they are not too too bad, some spots are worse than others. So I have been looking into new cars and have found Impreza WRC Monte Carlo 07: DF03RA, and it looks like a great RC car.

I figure you guys are owners and could maybe help me out, do you think this car can handle some outside off road on dead grass with plenty of little holes? I am just wondering kind of what its capabilities are in the off road area.

Also, can this car do actual jumps? I guess how durable is it?

Also, does this car come with lights on it? Or is that an after market thing that everyone does to it.

Thanks for all of your help, look forward to hearing your responses. Thanks again.
mimicpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:42 AM   #276
Tech Master

Quote:
Seems on the edge... How much run time do you get with that one?
To be honest - Don't know. Only really bash it around the street. Been out for a good 20 mins or more, but never ran it dead. Do only have a 540 in the car, so not drawing that much power.....
Old 02-01-2011, 03:46 AM   #277
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimicpsycho View Post
Hey guys, I have a sparrowhawk XXB, brushless, its a good car, has had some mechanical issues. But all in all a good car, and fun times to be had. So the story is me and my roomate race in our yard, we made a little track but it is not smooth just dead grass and plenty of little holes but they are not too too bad, some spots are worse than others. So I have been looking into new cars and have found Impreza WRC Monte Carlo 07: DF03RA, and it looks like a great RC car.

I figure you guys are owners and could maybe help me out, do you think this car can handle some outside off road on dead grass with plenty of little holes? I am just wondering kind of what its capabilities are in the off road area.

Also, can this car do actual jumps? I guess how durable is it?

Also, does this car come with lights on it? Or is that an after market thing that everyone does to it.

Thanks for all of your help, look forward to hearing your responses. Thanks again.

At the end of the day, it is a regular sedan with only 10-20mm of ground clearance. Off road touring car size tyres, smooth underneath of chassis, 4wd - it'll get through the rough stuff. Just not smooth or fast.

Have a look at Tamiya website - don't think these come with LED's
Old 02-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #278
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Raced my rally car at the track last weekend.I stripped a spur and bent one front dogbone.Had a track marshall step on my car while he was marshalling another car

Love racing this car.
Lethal Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #279
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Does anyone know where the five star hop ups for this car are sold?

They're the ones that make the re-enforced slipper shaft
Old 02-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #280
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Does anyone know where the five star hop ups for this car are sold?

They're the ones that make the re-enforced slipper shaft
Don't quote me, but I think they're no longer manufacturing the parts. If they're even still in business. You can still find the non-slipper main shaft on eBay from time to time, but I haven't been able to find the slipper variation.

Have you heard of the pinion gear work-around? I don't have the details in front of me, but if memory serves you first remove (not sure if these means grind or what) the existing alloy gear off of the main shaft. Then replace it with a mod .6 18t 5mm hardnened pinion. I'm sure there's more that's involved, but someone said they did it with success.

-melon
angrymelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #281
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymelon
*Quote: * * Originally Posted by Raman * Does anyone know where the five star hop ups for this car are sold? * They're the ones that make the re-enforced slipper shaft * *Don't quote me, but I think they're no longer manufacturing the parts. If they're even still in business. You can still find the non-slipper main shaft on eBay from time to time, but I haven't been able to find the slipper variation. *Have you heard of the pinion gear work-around? I don't have the details in front of me, but if memory serves you first remove (not sure if these means grind or what) the existing alloy gear off of the main shaft. Then replace it with a mod .6 18t 5mm hardnened pinion. I'm sure there's more that's involved, but someone said they did it with success. *-melon
Yes I had heard of that mod. My gear is actually doing pretty good.. I keep it nicely lubed with good grade grease. I'm also running a 13.5 Novak with it.. So far no issues.

I emailed Rainbow ten in japan to see if they can order the part.. If not, then I'll just do the mod when time comes.

Has anyone messed with suspensions settings.. Eg changing roll centers etc. I understand Without droop it's a little tough to fine tune it .. In anycase here is what I'm running:

Front:*
yellow spring
Oil: 50 wt
Diff: tight as possible
Shock tower:
Outer hole for damper
Camber link: middle top hole
Camber 0
Toe out *1
No stabilizer*

Rear:
Stock silver spring
Damper 40wt oil
Shock tower:
Only one hole for damper
Camber link: middle top hole
Camber - 2
Toe in -2
Stabilizer : yellow borrowed from TA04
Tyres: hpi rallye

With these settings, I still find my car to have way too much steering. In tight turns rear inner wheel is lifting.. So I think heavier oil in front is needed.

Let me know what you guys are running.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #282
Tech Elite

Default DF03-RA in the snow

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #283
Tech Rookie

I bought a 6.2A 7.4V 60C lipo for my Df03ra still using stock esc and motor, will my battery be to much for the stock setup?
volksgrenadier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #284
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sup guys,

Whats the max motor KV you guys recommend for this chassis. It's gonna be purely for bashing so it's gonna be even more fun if it's able to pack a nuclear power plant.

Thanks
unknownmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:48 AM   #285
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Get a Traxxas VXL 3500 kit, waterproof of course. Hack the chassis to make it all fit, run a minimum 20c 2s Lipo and you won't stop smiling. Drive full blast through huge puddles, and even better, dusty gravel roads are hilarious. Not to mention a light dusting of snow on the ashpalt in front of your house. The ability to drive your rally car on the ice in the spring as it busts through thin layers of meltwater is priceless imo.

I bought a spare chassis and just kept cutting till it all fit in, so far, nothing broke or twisted. I even cut one side of the tub right off to fit the esc in which now hangs over the edge.

Are you a true basher? If so, that waterproof system is really the only thing you should consider. I have a stamped VXL that I have jumped off the dock, through the surf at the beach and even drove it underwater in a pool to prove a point to a friend.

Hummer Stampede, Monster Stampede, Porsche GT2 TT-01E, Mini-Z's
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote