R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-04-2010, 05:32 PM   #196
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by visual_rabbi View Post
Would someone be willing to offer up a general list of issues or upgrades to consider for this car - DF03 Ra?

Is this a new platform for Tamiya? Are they planning on a newer release soon?

Here's a specific question. Can you fit a Traxxas servo and motor and Velinion system in this car - effectively making it waterproof?

This is Tamiya's most recent Rally car . dont see them releasing something new for a while then again its Tamiya we are talking about.

Dont see why those items wouldnt work as long as they are standard 1/10 size..

On another note i am selling my car if anyone is looking used for 1 raceday 4 races on it awesome car no where to race it custom ken block body

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...k-edition.html

IL_AudiRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #197
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default NICE

I picked one up and my son and I assembled it. Threw some old touring car rubbers on it and one of my touring car bodies and hit the carpet track. Hitting the jumps with it was a hoot. My 6r old sone loves it, crashed it and flipped it and after 3 hours of play, onthing thing that got messed up was the front foam bumper. What a hoot!

Only gripe is the drivetrain seems so tight. Any tips on lossening it up? I'm gonna throw a 21.5 in it when I get it in the mail.
dynamic_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #198
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Would someone be willing to offer up a general list of issues or upgrades to consider for this car - DF03 Ra?

Here's a specific question. Can you fit a Traxxas servo and motor and Velinion system in this car - effectively making it waterproof?

I'm looking to move into the 1/10 class, but I'd like to be able to have a car that can go on carpet and outdoor rough terrain. Of course, I realize that on carpet this car will require some tweaking, and obviously won't be competitive in a serious race, but the idea is to have a more versatile car.

Here in Colorado, there is some on road, but not nothing in the rally class.
This can't be a new platform, I've had my DF03 for a while now. How long can you have it for it to be not new?

I already put my Traxxas servo in, so I know that fits. I would guess the ESC would fit. The motor on the other hand is going to be a problem. Them wires from the motor go toward the drive shaft and don't fit without cutting the frame. I've been toying with the idea of un-soldering the wires on the motor and turn them around in order to mount it in but haven't tried that yet.

Other than that, a slip-clutch is a must have. I also put in a front one-way. There are other upgrades that work. Oh yea, the TEC-4 wheels are a perfect fit. I grabbed some on-road rubber for the TEC to try drifting but they were too sticky!

Have fun!
cwhfsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:54 AM   #199
Tech Rookie

Default front chatter

ive been drifting this for a while and i can seem y i get front chatter when i turn, ive taken it apart many of times and look at the dog bones. they are getting cut up by the out drives and ive tried everything, can someone help me with this...
azn87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:55 PM   #200
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:

I'm looking to move into the 1/10 class, but I'd like to be able to have a car that can go on carpet and outdoor rough terrain. Of course, I realize that on carpet this car will require some tweaking, and obviously won't be competitive in a serious race, but the idea is to have a more versatile car.

Here in Colorado, there is some on road, but not nothing in the rally class.
See pictures here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/6427366-post10.html

I was making my DF03ra into a waterproof runner. To make the Velineon system fit I had to re-solder the motor connection on the opposite side, remove the end cap and make a spacer to extend the motor so I didn't have to modify the chassis. I also had to cut the ears off of the Velineon ESC so it would fit flush in the chassis. The Velineon system is simply too much for the car. It has so much torque that I think you could easily destroy the drive-train if you weren't careful.

I've since pulled out that system and put it in my Hyper 10SC. So now I'm gonna just put a Mamba Max w/4600kv combo in there and call it a day.

-melon
angrymelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #201
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Great post. Thanks for the follow up. I still haven't decided which car to go with since there is currently no one that I know of racing rally in the Denver area. I'll probably be stuck with racing what most others are, which is mostly indoor onroad.
- Traxxas 2WD
- Xray M18 - Losi Micro Desert Truck - Team Associated SC18
visual_rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #202
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Great post. Thanks for the follow up. I still haven't decided which car to go with since there is currently no one that I know of racing rally in the Denver area. I'll probably be stuck with racing what most others are, which is mostly indoor onroad.
Going with what is being raced in your area is probably the smarter choice. However, I wonder if anyone has attempted to setup the DF03 like a touring car. I doubt that it would ever be as good, but if you could at least get it close, you'd always have the option of using it for off-road when the time came.

I'm in the same boat as you. There are a handful of people who have rally cars here but since there aren't any real courses/tracks that are more suited for this type of vehicle, no one seems to run them. I try to stir up some interest from time to time, but I've been thinking of alternate options these days. Such as converting the Kyosho 1/9 DRX Rally car into electric. They're big enough that you might be able to get away with running them on a standard 1/10 scale off-road track without too many issues. I don't know if you're familiar with the HPI Racing Super Nitro Rally, but the Kyosho car is actually bigger than it is.

Anyway, good luck making your decision!

-melon
angrymelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #203
Tech Rookie

Default Wheelbase Difference

New to this. I thought the only difference between the 58417 and the 58430 was the body - 2007 vs. 2008. But looking at dimensions, the wheelbases seem to be different 257mm vs. 272mm. And then the 2008 says it can adjust the wheelbase to 251mm. From 272 to 251 seems like a big adjustment. I thought they are the same chasis. Is the 272 a misprint? Also, what about using the 2004 Subaru body on the 58417, does that fit?

Thanks!
LEGO2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #204
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to SerpentCT4S

I had one of these cars months ago, and I sold it before even running it. I have wanted another ever since I sold that one. So, I am picking up one of these kits this week locally. I am paying $150 for a NIB kit, I am getting the 07 Subaru #58417.

I have a few questions:

1. What is a good power source for the car? Should I get a brushed or brushless system? I have seen a few VXL systems in these cars, do they work well in it? Also, can the car handle a brushless setup?

2. Does anyone know the part # for the DF03 buggy body? I want to get one to run under the Subaru body.

3. What are some good first upgrades for the car?
SerpentCT4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #205
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

You can run either type. I wouldn't go lower than a 13.5 motor and if you do go with a 13.5 I recommend using the slipper clutch to absorb some of the torque.

Dark Impact body

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...uct-id=0555108
Old 11-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #206
Tech Elite

Is a VXL combo less than 13.5? I have some time to think about electronics, but I just wanted to see what a good setup is.

I found the Dark Impact body on Tamiya's site and ordered one.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:56 AM   #207
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentCT4S View Post
Is a VXL combo less than 13.5? I have some time to think about electronics, but I just wanted to see what a good setup is.

I found the Dark Impact body on Tamiya's site and ordered one.
I don't know what the VXL combo is but you need to be prepared for modding the motor and some of the chassis in order to get it to fit. Granted, this thing is a ROCKET once done and I love it.

Took me a while to get it done. Used a dremel to get rid of some of the solder from the factory, then had to drill out the wires. Got everything soldered back into place and back into the body. Did have to shave a small part of the frame in order to be able to get the sprocket all lined up but nothing bad.

I only did it because I had a VXL from my rustler that I wasn't using anymore. Now I have the ESC, motor and servo from my rustler all in my DF03!
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya DF-03Ra-img_1270.jpg   Tamiya DF-03Ra-img_1272.jpg   Tamiya DF-03Ra-img_1273.jpg   Tamiya DF-03Ra-img_1275.jpg   Tamiya DF-03Ra-img_1280.jpg  

cwhfsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #208
Tech Elite

Just picked up my kit today. I'm excited to get it built. I will update with pics of the build.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:23 PM   #209
Tech Elite

I got started with my build.

I got up to the step to put the motor in. I planned on using a Tamiya Sport Tuned black can motor (#53068) but I saw in the manual it says not to use that motor. Any ideas why?

For now, I put the stock silver can motor in. I'd really like to use the black motor, so if someone can help me out, that would be great!
Old 11-12-2010, 12:21 AM   #210
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Unhappy

I was wondering how off-road can the DR-03Ra be? As in after playing in the mud, its difficult to clean the small parts without using water to spray on it. The gears, motor, ESC and servo are still vulnerable to attacks by the nasty little sand particles. Anyone with good experiences to share on how to clean the chassis after playing?