by calandra.. can change a layout in an hour lol
ALBERTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In no particular order:

1. Pit space
2. Lighting
3. fun layouts (this is very subjective though)
4. One seriously important factor to me is announcing. I hate going to the track and listening to the software call the race. Half the fun of being at the track is listening/watching the battles among the racers and a decent announcer can work with that and build excitement. Just tends to make the day more fun for me.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:33 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBERTO View Post
"Clik-Trak"
Quick Connect Track Barrier System
by calandra.. can change a layout in an hour lol

How are the barriers kept in place? Is this used for asphalt also?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:47 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to ALBERTO Send a message via Yahoo to ALBERTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
How are the barriers kept in place? Is this used for asphalt also?
Velcro on carper and asphalt... very forgiving when hit.. I have tested this theory several times
ALBERTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:45 AM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Victory Side

Yes we do something very similar with velcro and we can change the track very easily. My system is homemade and cost much less. I looked at clik track but it was out of my league. Really the clik system is the nicest Ive seen.

So its not that changing is so hard its just that once a month seems like a lot. But I will ask the races to see what they think.

Actually one of the fast growing classes is Stadium on-road racing. You can slam the suspension and get the trucks to handle really well. It works great for beginners because they want a vehicle that can be run outside when not racing and bash it. Then bring to track and race.
Victory Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:36 AM   #36
Tech Champion

Good people is a definate plus more than the track itself.

I would actually rather drive for an hour and a half than go to my home track only 20 minutes away for this very reason.

A good place to race is where:

1) EVERYONE talks to each other, not just give them the cold eye look when they are racing them on the rostrum and say nothing. It shouldn't matter if you are sponsored, not sponsored, young, old, new to the hobby, raced all your life, male, female, black, white, or even pink with yellow spots ... racing is for EVERYONE. So talk to EVERYONE. We're in it as a group.

Some people don't like to be approached if they are busy setting up their car etc etc, but if you are constantly "busy" you either have something to hide or you are just unsociable imho.

As for me, I will approach people, or be approached, I really dont mind

2) The rules are few, but well enforced.

3) The track has a good surface (torn,bumpy carpet or cracks in an off road track are not nice) and have different layouts from time to time.

4) Facilities need to be good. Clean toilets and the area needs to look tidy. And if it's indoors, a good supply of power points.

5) Race fee's... if the price reflects the quality of the venue i'll happily pay what the going rate is

If there is discount for prebooking X amount of rounds in advance then that's even better

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:42 AM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
Good people is a definate plus more than the track itself.

I would actually rather drive for an hour and a half than go to my home track only 20 minutes away for this very reason.

A good place to race is where:

1) EVERYONE talks to each other, not just give them the cold eye look when they are racing them on the rostrum and say nothing. It shouldn't matter if you are sponsored, not sponsored, young, old, new to the hobby, raced all your life, male, female, black, white, or even pink with yellow spots ... racing is for EVERYONE. So talk to EVERYONE. We're in it as a group.

Some people don't like to be approached if they are busy setting up their car etc etc, but if you are constantly "busy" you either have something to hide or you are just unsociable imho.

As for me, I will approach people, or be approached, I really dont mind

2) The rules are few, but well enforced.

3) The track has a good surface (torn,bumpy carpet or cracks in an off road track are not nice) and have different layouts from time to time.

4) Facilities need to be good. Clean toilets and the area needs to look tidy. And if it's indoors, a good supply of power points.

5) Race fee's... if the price reflects the quality of the venue i'll happily pay what the going rate is

If there is discount for prebooking X amount of rounds in advance then that's even better

100% agreement on #5
Old 10-09-2008, 08:33 AM   #38
Tech Master

Yeah, Thanks for the advice. I guess some of it is it takes time to build a base. We have 30 regular racers. And they all seem very happy. Now I now what I need to be focusing on and how to be better. THANKS
Old 10-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #39
Tech Elite

Great thread, Victory. Are you guys racing Vintage Trans AM there?

Oh yeah...another thing that has helped keep the regular racers more tight knit: your own forum.

Here's ours:

http://www.strictlyrc.net/forum

Most of our regulars check it just about everyday. It's a great way to keep the interest up in the racing program when people aren't at the track.
chicagokenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #40
Tech Master

Yeah it has been very helpful to me and I hope many others. Now I want to get out there and get racing. Not to mention get some of that clik trak. I think I'm gonna start buying some in increments. i like what we have, but this is very nice and a bit more Finished".
Old 10-09-2008, 08:07 PM   #41
Tech Elite

the Clik track product was not in the budget of our parking lot track or our small scale indoor track.

Here's what we did with 1.5 inch PVC for the small track:

http://pages.ripco.net/~kenji/strictlyrc/

Essentially the curves are PVC lengths, capped, heated with a big torch and bent around a home made jig. the capping allows the pipe to create smooth bends and not kink when you heat and bend it.

Outdoors it's 1.5 inch PVC and we use 1x2's, about a foot a piece jammed into each length. We then use a drywall screw through the pipe into the 1x2 on both pieces. Keep the screws facing up so wheels don't catch. Cars just glance off.
chicagokenji is offline   Reply With Quote