R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   KO Propo and Futaba Radios (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/2457-ko-propo-futaba-radios.html)

Potato 01-14-2002 05:45 PM

KO Propo and Futaba Radios

How are KO Propo radios? How does the EX-1 compare to the 3PJS? 75mhz KO radios are not compatible with Futaba recievers right? So... since I already have an old Futaba Magnum senior, can I use the module in an EX-1?

Joe 01-14-2002 08:49 PM

IMHO, KO makes the best radios and servos. I use an old Futaba reciever on my 'auxiliary' car with my KO transmitter, but I doubt a Futaba module will work in an EX-1.

uppy 01-14-2002 10:10 PM

I've used KO radios and servos for the past 12 years or more and have been more then pleased with the quality and the functionality of them. I really dont think your futaba module will with with the KO radio or vise versa... I'm currently using the mars with a xxtra reciever and like the combination alot.

Potato 01-14-2002 11:28 PM

So KO radios will work with Futaba recievers? Right now I already have two futaba recievers, and if I get a KO, I want to be able to control my existing two cars with the new transmitter. Are the 75mhz Futaba crystals compatible with KO transmitter/recievers? Also, is the EX-1 lighter in weight than a 3pjs? Does either one have a distinct advantage in terms of function and/or reliability? Thanks for the responses.

dtm 01-15-2002 12:42 AM

You cannot swap/intermix Futaba and KO 75 mhz crystals, I am sure of this!! But as for recievers, I understand you cannot swap them (KO/Fut) neither (although, I have never tried this!). 75mhz is a particularly strange frequency when it comes to different manufacturers.

I have successfully used 75mhz Airtronics recievers with a 3PJS running Futaba bands, but not tried KO recievers.

The standard EX-1 is lighter than the 3PJS. But if you add the wheel extension onto the EX1 it is then slightly heavier than the 3PJS. I have a 3PJS and a 2000R.

They are both as reliabile as each other and functions are very comparable, its just that different manufacturers call the same function by different names! Just go for the one that 'feels' best in your hands.... don't go by pictures or what other people say..... thay are bias!!!!:sneaky:

dtm 01-15-2002 12:44 AM

One more thing.... is your Magnum senior AM or FM (I'm not familiar with this TX!)? If it is AM you can forget re-using them for the EX1 and 3PJS!

Potato 01-15-2002 12:51 AM

So I cannot use KO with Futaba at all?? :cry: My magnum senior is FM/PCM, it was the top of the line futaba radio before they came out with the 3PJ. I was looking into the EX1 because of its price and quality... but now that I know I can't use it with my existing recievers, it might be better to save up for a 3PJS. I don't know, I like the EX1's shape. It seems like it would be more comfortable and less top-heavy. I'll have to try it out in the hobby store.

dtm 01-15-2002 01:13 AM

I was faced with the same dilemma last year..... as I said it is only FM 75mhz that has this problem. With 27mhz I understand the recievers and crystals can be mixed.

Thats why I have a 2000R for EP and 3PJS for GP!!!:D :D

dtm 01-15-2002 01:15 AM

Originally posted by Potato
So I cannot use KO with Futaba at all?? :cry: My magnum senior is FM/PCM, it was the top of the line futaba radio before they came out with the 3PJ. I was looking into the EX1 because of its price and quality... but now that I know I can't use it with my existing recievers, it might be better to save up for a 3PJS. I don't know, I like the EX1's shape. It seems like it would be more comfortable and less top-heavy. I'll have to try it out in the hobby store.
Is it the big square one??? I use to have one of those, but it goes under a different model no. in Hong Kong!:D

WailinOnYa 01-15-2002 11:30 AM

If it is a Futaba Senior it is very old! Before the 3PJ was the 3PB radio which took the place of the original Senior radio. I haven't seen a Senior radio since like around 87'-88'.

Potato 01-15-2002 12:42 PM

3PB is called the senior right? It's the one right before the 3PJ came out. It has pots for all the settings, like throttle exponential, steering expo... Mine is still in pretty good shape. It tipped over a few times, so the wheel has tiny scratches on it, but other than that, it almost looks like new. I think i need to upgrade, though. Every time I switch cars, I have to re trim the steering.. change from PCM to FM ... The foam on the wheel is dried out, too. I'd like to try out the ABS brakes, and all those features computer radios offer.

Potato 01-15-2002 12:47 PM

oh, that reminds me.. anyone know where to get Futaba 3PB steering wheels and foam?

WailinOnYa 01-15-2002 11:35 PM

If it is the model just before they introduced the 3PJ then it is a 3PB, I have never heard this model called the senior before, but maybe because it took the actual seniors place some do call it that! I used to have a 3PB myself, good radio, it has the smoke tinted door with the adjustment pots behind it, and the din switches for PCM or PPM modulation. They also made a lower model that was called the 3pd or 2pd looked alot like the 3PB but didn't have as many adjustments and wasn't PCM. You can call Futaba maybe they still have parts for that radio left, The foam for the wheel should not be a problem it is the same size as the newer radios and the wheels themselves may even be compatible.

Potato 01-16-2002 09:59 AM

I think "senior" is just a nickname

guest13 02-21-2014 03:31 AM

can someone tell me can I get a futaba module to fit a kopropo Helios or is it only spectrum who makes them? 2.4g?