Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Has Rubber improved anyone,s experience? >

Has Rubber improved anyone,s experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has Rubber improved anyone,s experience?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 04:52 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

huge preferance to foam. Rubber racing is a bit sloopy the cars do not checkup very well and they often slide a hair into the corner were the foam cars will stick on there lines.

I also find it can be a frustrating game for a new driver to get the rubber car around the track( foam can also) but rubber exagerates a bad setup. If you have a good crew they will be all over helping the new guy tweak the chassis and setup so the car is square and runs well.

If the foam cars are tearing up the tires pull the motors back. Most are liking the rubber because the car is slowing down, with less grip they can not generate the same edge with the same motor package, spec the motor slow the foam to a similar lap time.

All in all it is racing and you should do what will grow your program the most. Make sure you are willing for all fall outs as you will have some no matter the directions you go.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh H
....... but jaco tires go faster the more you run them.........up to 30 or 40 runs sometimes. You can't sniff that with foam tires no matter what compound you use.

Is this on carpet or pavement. We have noticed a considerable drop off after only a couple of runs with the Jaco Blues when running on carpet.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Foam is never spec, that makes it fun and free spirited. The argument can be made as to expense. You can run any foam you want and any diameter you want. And it makes set up easier.+=+++++++++++++++++

Rubber is always held back by "spec". Try this, allow any rubber and let it be more free spirited.
It will make set up easier and less frustrating, the spec could simply be the diameter.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Foam is never spec, that makes it fun and free spirited. The argument can be made as to expense. You can run any foam you want and any diameter you want. And it makes set up easier.+=+++++++++++++++++

Rubber is always held back by "spec". Try this, allow any rubber and let it be more free spirited.
It will make set up easier and less frustrating, the spec could simply be the diameter.
Except history has shown that open rubber tire (and inserts, etc.) has already killed the class once. There's nothing easy or free-spirited about open tire rules. It greatly and unnecessarily complicates the entire process. The only people that still want open tire are those that don't know how to setup a car.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gain Time
Is this on carpet or pavement. We have noticed a considerable drop off after only a couple of runs with the Jaco Blues when running on carpet.
Josh is referring to carpet.

I have found the Much More Sweep and Speemind/Sorex tires to work very well on asphalt and carpet and supply has not been a problem.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Originally Posted by Gain Time
Like Rob said this is on carpet.

Every time I put new jacos on it takes at least 3 runs to get back up to the same speed as my 20 run set that was on my car.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Adam?
Except history has shown that open rubber tire (and inserts, etc.) has already killed the class once. There's nothing easy or free-spirited about open tire rules. It greatly and unnecessarily complicates the entire process. The only people that still want open tire are those that don't know how to setup a car.
So if I run blues and get my set up and go to the next town and they run purple its the same thing. Spec tires hold you back theres no real rhyme or reason.
If you get your set up on blues and are allowed to run a blue and purple you may be able to smoke the guy with blues on all four.
I'm not sure where you get any proof of what may have hurt the rubber class because its all personal opinion.

Make any class as easy as mod or foam and you are more likely to bring in a bigger crowd.? Just my opinion.

Theres a market of tires out there utilize them.
There are many like myself that would love to run rubber but not just one brand or compound. Racing is about tapping to more speed and the tires are just like a brush compound or a shock oil or a battery or a charge rate or a radio and on. The tire issue is the last battle. Open the market and go racing. My opinion.

Heres what sux. Spec is to keep the cost down right.? It cant be to keep it fair cause when you show up all ready to spec race some one is using a tire cleaner you don't have and he has a truer to rough his tires up and to put some icing on the cake he has a tire warmer. So yeah you can compete but at what level?

Now if you want to keep cost down try this. Run any tire, the more you can put in the mix the more the market will compete for your purchase therefore cost will go down. Just a thought.

Rubber tire racing has a lot of potential if its longer lasting and or just as fast as foam.
It has the potential to be cheaper on many accounts. But if you are struggling with set up or driving style then the relief can keep a racer involved rather than run him off due to the struggle.

I like open tire racing hope these thoughts help. Good luck.

Last edited by UN4RACING; 10-07-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Tech Master

I don't see how it gets any easier or laid pack than "hey here's your tire go race." Rubber tires are becoming the biggest classes for a reason.. I'd say it has a lot to do with spec tires

We going to see racer x running some onroad this winter?
Old 10-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by smoke81
I don't see how it gets any easier or laid pack than "hey here's your tire go race." Rubber tires are becoming the biggest classes for a reason.. I'd say it has a lot to do with spec tires

We going to see racer x running some onroad this winter?
When Xray makes a lipo happy kit.
And when I can run a sorex. And any insert I want.
Never mind I will run foam.

What makes a tire easy makes a set up more tedious for some. And what happens then is no racers. Its bad enough trying to squeeze every thing you can from motor and battery and push the set ups even farther makes it even worse. On a club race I say run what you want, and play by the restrictions of the rules at the big shows and let club racing be club racing.
If a man wants to conform to a natl' rule then run that race but forcing anther with out that ambition can run people off. Let each person run there own race and worry about whats fair when the big show is in town.

One day I wanted to buy some tires on the wall sorex, but was told I had to run RP. Fine but why have a sorex on the wall?
If a racers feels he has no edge he will lose interest. Freedom of tire can help him feel hes got a chance. I think what makes a spec tire fair and cheap is not fair to some and is more difficult to set up.

My opinion and I'm pretty much not going to change my mind on it and it may help the thread starter to hear this. So I hope it helps.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

In our club and regional series, we've always run foam on carpet. At the end of last season we voted to adopt spec rubber tire for series races and subsequently open rubber tire for club racing. I'm sure that the vast majority of our members will agree that it's been a very good move. Great cost savings, simplified setup and a new challenge.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Tech Champion

Without wanting to stray off topic, this very topic shows how much of a raw deal clubs themselves are getting- if theres 2 or 3 racers 2 or 3 laps ahead some will sob their heart out, if the racing is too slow people will get frustrated.

Before any racer (myself included) next has a rant at their club for trying to enforce some loose rules and they don't like them, think about the people around you that are also racing and the club committee themselves

Times are not good financially for everyone to buy soft tyres and beat the guy standing next to him on the rostrum.

A spec tire may cost you some $ but everyone has to spend on tyres anyway, so why not race the same as everyone else (providing its a good tyre)......

Just my .2$
Old 10-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pcar951
In our club and regional series, we've always run foam on carpet. At the end of last season we voted to adopt spec rubber tire for series races and subsequently open rubber tire for club racing. I'm sure that the vast majority of our members will agree that it's been a very good move. Great cost savings, simplified setup and a new challenge.
At the club level it definately seems to make good sense doesnt it.?

Many strong opinions.

I have to thank you all for chiming in.

It seems this sport/hobby is at some sort of crossroads and I am anxious to see the outcome.
One point of note that I am getting from the responses so far is that there does appear to be more that have gone to or had to go to rubber and preffered it.

I certainly agree that this does need to be fun first.

I would like to play devils advocate and hear more from those who prefer foam touring car and why.
Dave.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by mtbboy

I would like to play devils advocate and hear more from those who prefer foam touring car and why.
Dave.
The nature of racing is to go faster. Foam promotes that and with a stock motor its the next step up from rubber before 19t.
The car is more stable and will, handle more corner speed. Not for shallow pockets and should be full on expert class racing, the regiment is really not for the beginner. Foam is serious racing and should be promoted as pro class rc racing at the highest level.
I like it better than rubber.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Foam is serious racing and should be promoted as pro class rc racing at the highest level.
I like it better than rubber.
Very good point, you really have to have your head in it to run TC foam and be fast. Pro racers excell at it but, for the average dude it's a big learning curve.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:58 AM
Tech Champion

I think it's fair to say this topic could be discussed until you are blue in the face but the fact still remains there are pro's and con's of rubber and foam tyres.

Heck, lets just all ride on our rims or some set up wheels....?

I've raced for 14 years, tried many different tyres etc.

But, if I had the choice nothing beats a small carpet track with foam.

£12 and my car has 4wheels and trued and glued foams on it (35/32 shore). £21(ish) and i've got a set of sorex 24's.

i've had some great results with sorex 24's too though.....

BUT, for pure grip nothing beats foams indoors. Yes, they can chuck but I think the right compound helps the less experiened by giving them grip on a plate.

Chunking only happens if you hit the boards. If you have the grip, you shouldnt be chunking too often. Newcomers need more schooling that r/c is cheap on tyres and parts if you don't crash.

You won't please everyone though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.