R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-01-2008, 11:07 PM   #31
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It doesn't matter how high the C rating gets if the esc and motor can't put it to use.
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:42 PM   #32
Tech Fanatic

I don't like LiPo and I don't use it. But I am so very grateful to all of you who have forced LiPo on everyone - thank you.

Thanks to you, the National Associations have had to enforce the original NiMh Rules, and we have now got the best NiMh batteries we have ever had. And, because of that, the IBs are redundant and the problems we had have gone - we are back to the type of cells we had three years ago.

And, surprise, surprise, the LiPo war has started. To stay up, it will cost you more than NiMh, and because you have all gone LiPo-loopy, there aren't any new NiMh cells. And, developments of the 2.4v and nanotechnology cells moves along, making LiPo obsolete.

Did you really think that, once LiPo had a hold on teh drivers, it would not end up as a war? Of course it will, and these posts make me smile - they are all the reasons given for wanting to get out of NiMh and into LiPo. We tried to warn you...!

Having stayed in NiMh, my cell costs have halved inside a year, and are now less than two LiPo packs - thank you LiPo!
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:45 PM   #33
Tech Addict

Dumb.
Adam? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:02 AM   #34
Tech Fanatic

haha wow. that's about the most short-sighted post i've seen in a while.

First off, no one forced anyone to buy lipo. it was their choice and no one put a gun to anyone's head to change over.

It won't cost anyone a dime more than what they've already bought if they don't want the higher C packs. I have a 6000mah pack that I got about four months ago and I haven't even looked anywhere else.

If you want to stick with NiMH, that is your choice. don't try and guilt anyone into questioning their decision, alright?
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:29 AM   #35
PDM
Tech Adept

Cells technology is in development everyday. Like all other thecnology.

That is good for us.

Look at batteries like you look to personal computers.

Development brings the prices to very low levels. (you buy today for 10% of the price a computer that can perform 1000% better that a 10 years old one)

You can ask to your self, do you really need the last top perfomance computer available, to do what you usually do with your computer?

Problably the answer is NO.

So will be with Lipo batteries.

You will discover that the 35C battery will perform as your 25C with the motor you are using. So why spend money in another one? I am not pretending a 25C battery will perform like the 35C one. Just assuming only a small amount of people will be in a situation to find that difference.
PDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:38 AM   #36
Tech Champion

I don't buy into marketing... if my cells are good enough for club racing they'll do. if they get noticably worse i'll replace them

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:06 AM   #37
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
I don't like LiPo and I don't use it. But I am so very grateful to all of you who have forced LiPo on everyone - thank you.

Thanks to you, the National Associations have had to enforce the original NiMh Rules, and we have now got the best NiMh batteries we have ever had. And, because of that, the IBs are redundant and the problems we had have gone - we are back to the type of cells we had three years ago.

And, surprise, surprise, the LiPo war has started. To stay up, it will cost you more than NiMh, and because you have all gone LiPo-loopy, there aren't any new NiMh cells. And, developments of the 2.4v and nanotechnology cells moves along, making LiPo obsolete.

Did you really think that, once LiPo had a hold on teh drivers, it would not end up as a war? Of course it will, and these posts make me smile - they are all the reasons given for wanting to get out of NiMh and into LiPo. We tried to warn you...!

Having stayed in NiMh, my cell costs have halved inside a year, and are now less than two LiPo packs - thank you LiPo!

Thanks to Li-Po I have not had to repurchase new Nk ML cells every 3 month`s ..
Saved me hundreds of dollars !!!

That`s why nobody buy`s or uses those old cells anymore...

No body was forced either , it was all about a better performing , durable battery...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:12 AM   #38
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post

Your very welcome. Now we will come after your soul as well
Old 10-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #39
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Thanks to Li-Po I have not had to repurchase new Nk ML cells every 3 month`s ..
Saved me hundreds of dollars !!!

That`s why nobody buy`s or uses those old cells anymore...

No body was forced either , it was all about a better performing , durable battery...
Currently enjoying my second SEASON on some EP4600 4-cell packs. Yes the runtime has tapered slightly, but voltage/punch is still strong, and they're still very competitive with guys running NEW packs. I have a strict care regiment I stick to. Traying the battery before charging, charge, race, place pack back in box untill next week. It's hard to keep up with all the work, but somehow I manage....

IB cells sucked, and they were very problematic. EP and Ener-G cells are as durable as the GP3300's were. LiPo is fine, everyone who wants to run LiPo is welcome to. Just bring your car up to legal weight, and strap 'em in. And as you're enjoying your LiPo bliss, quit bitching about NIMH's to anyone and everyone. If you wanna spend over $100 bucks on a battery whose performance falls off quite a bit more than most of you really realize, that's fine. I'll just keep running the significantly less expensive alternative.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:02 AM   #40
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Call me naive but I dont see any battery wars. I don't see people running out to buy new "gotta have" lipo packs. I look around at my track and I see almost as many brands as there are people. I think most of the people claiming "battery wars" are the people that predicted them prior to lipo being legalized. They just want to be able to say "I told you so!". Maybe it exists but I just don't see it.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:44 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Funny, 6 months ago, it was unheard of to have any kind of issues with LiPos. Now that they are becoming more main stream a lot more "issues" are coming to lite.

I never said that one over the other is a better fire, but if you want to follow the guidelines that ROAR put out, the cost of a "D" class extinguisher is a lot more than we expected. Now check your home, or the gym you race at for a fire extinguisher, I bet, most, if not all are only "A,B,C" which will be pretty useless in a Lipo fire, and in some cases will just add to the problem.
I dont know where you've been Johnny, but there isn't one thread about Lipos where it was claimed Lipos have no issues...just the opposite, experts have always chimed in and warned racers about safety issues, proper care, etc.

Seems like you're one of those nimh lovers w/ a grudge a gainst the progress of Lipos and Brushless tech. Get over it...Lipos are cheaper to run and maintain and safer as well with proper care.

Did you buy a fire extinguisher for your cell phone? Maybe it will go poooooooof and burn your ear off

"Release the Kraken"
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:02 PM   #42
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default the whole point of lipo

The whole of lipo is no maintenance. I have had packs for 1.5 years and they still run great. My maintenance is:
1) charge the pack
2) run the pack
3) repeat

No cycling, no discharging, no conditioning, nothing. I can also store my 1/2 charged batteries for 6 months without worrying about discharging. Many racers simply keep the lipo pack in the car and recharge it.

Another huge plus with lipo is when weight limits get dropped. We can then talk about performance when your nimh car is 8oz heavier than another lipo car.

The IB packs were junk, but the point is how many tens of thousands of dollars were wasted on them?

The c debate is silly. If I have a 4000mah pack at 20c, that is 80 continuous amps the pack can handle, and the pack can also handle a much higher load for a very short period. How many motors even pull those amps?

As for lipo safety, if everyone stopped trying to gain a little extra performance from lipo by doing stupid things, how many fires would you have? How many have you had?

The r/c industry would be much healthier if everyone stopped looking for a competitive edge in the amount of $ they spend.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:10 PM   #43
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default brushless

I suppose you also want to thank everyone for making brushed motors better because everyone uses brushless. I have been away from r/c for several months and when I stopped by a track last week, not 1 person was using brushed motors, now that's progress!!!
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:23 PM   #44
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to chewiefttc4 Send a message via Yahoo to chewiefttc4

brushed motors for me is a love hate relationship. i love the way they feel yet i hate how they wear out and you have to constantly rebuild them.

the only time i run brushed is club stock racing. but when i run mod its brushless only BABY!!
chewiefttc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:26 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Call me naive but I dont see any battery wars. I don't see people running out to buy new "gotta have" lipo packs. I look around at my track and I see almost as many brands as there are people. I think most of the people claiming "battery wars" are the people that predicted them prior to lipo being legalized. They just want to be able to say "I told you so!". Maybe it exists but I just don't see it.
Tim, I agree totally with what you're saying on a club level.

There isn't currently a LiPo war going on. Most racers can't feel the difference between a really strong LiPo and a fair LiPo. As LiPo becomes the norm, the differences will start to emerge. Once the FAST guys start pushing to get more out of them we'll see what shortcomings they do have. The aircraft guys (my father among them), that have been using LiPo forever will tell you the differences between LiPos from different vendors are huge, and that not even all packs from the same company are created equal.

Like Jack Rimer and Danny have said over and over again, when we all start using LiPos we'll be right back where we started.

I distinctly remember being told Nimh was gonna end the battery war too......
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote