R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Capacity is the only way to prevent obsolences.

The higher the capacity pack you own, the less likely that that pack will be affected by changes in C rating or normal use.

Even a 5000mah 20C pack is hard to meet the discharge claim. When was the last time you heard someone running 100A for over 3 minutes without destroying a motor, esc and battery and starting a fire?

Ontop of the capacity is usable life. If you own a 3200mah pack and after 6 months of hard use the pack is down to 2900mah. I am sure you will notice the loss of 300mah. Use a 5000mah pack and because the pack is not being pushed as hard as the 3200 it only lost 200mah and now you have a 4800 pack. Not many racers are even using 4800mah total for 3 heats and a main in stock racing. Modified, I am sure someone has been there and dumped.

Just buy the biggest capcity you can get. If several packs are the same, then go with highest C rating.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:14 PM   #17
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesArluck View Post
The C rating on Lipo packs is about as believeable as HP numbers on nitro engines...

lol yah now doubt.
davepull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

The great thing about Lipos is that even if your pack is obsolete you can still practice and club race. The main resone I stayed away from SMC packs was the ugly RED box and the Deans connectors, but after seeing the performance on the track I had to give in. From what I've seen SMC's claimed 28C runs stronger than others 30C and I'd bet they'll still be stronger that these Reedy pack.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:39 PM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer View Post
Look up the original SMC lipo thread where Danny and I took a beating for weeks on end for telling the lipo police what they didn't want to hear. IT IS RACING PEOPLE. Manufacturers will continue to push the envelope to gain an advantage. It's what we do. It is how we distinguish our products from the 100 online stores that sell Yeah racing packs for $35. For our company to survive and thrive, we have to try to build a better mousetrap. Any company that claims to be involved in racing to better their products and win races, owes it to the consumers who support their products to forge ahead with the latest technology.
I have to admit, I own some Reedy 5000's and some Yeah Racing 3200's. My yeah racing 3200's have the reedys beat in punch. It still makes me smile every time I connect a pack and hear that loud inrush ZAPPPP as the deans plugs make contack.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:40 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to chewiefttc4 Send a message via Yahoo to chewiefttc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesArluck View Post
The C rating on Lipo packs is about as believeable as HP numbers on nitro engines...
actually they are very belivable.

running electric 1/8 scale offroad and using different c rating packs. ive noticed a difference.

a low c rating pack will not hold up and puff and destroy itself.

all electric 1/8 guys have to run a minimum of 20 c in order not to risk damaging a pack.
higher c packs allow more power to flow and improved performance ALOT

now as far as you guys seeing a difference in anything higher than 20 c i highly doubt it. since you guys draw preety low current.

i have no problem using a 15 c pack in my tc3 with a mamba 5700 although i do see a difference in a 20 c pack because im pushing the 15 c pack a bit hard.
the 15 c always came off hotter than the 20 c due to the 15 c not being able to produce the same amount of current the 20 can

also another thing to watch for .
lipos make more power at warmer temps. just like nimh. (although not as extreme)
during winter racing i keep my lipos in my pockets after charging that way i have full punch and power at my fingertips.
chewiefttc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:49 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

One thing you guys never talk about is the associated costs of running a LiPo, go price out a "D" spec fire extinguisher, your going to be very surprised. Now I know why some places won't let you run them.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #22
Tech Master

very rarely have i seen a lipo go up in flames.
only time they go up in flames hard is when they are over charged.
when they are over discharged they puff (1 in 10 smoke alot and a very small fire. depending on how over discharged they are )

ive seen more ib 4200s blow up and send metal schrapnel flying everywhere even cracking a big screen tv at a race.
ive even seen a guy get pegged in the arm at a race when a nimh blew up and he was 10 feet away. it stuck in him and burned him.
imagine that in your eye. only reason why no one else got hit was they all ran away from the smoking nimh
im sorry but ill take some flames over metal flying any day
Old 10-01-2008, 02:05 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Funny, 6 months ago, it was unheard of to have any kind of issues with LiPos. Now that they are becoming more main stream a lot more "issues" are coming to lite.

I never said that one over the other is a better fire, but if you want to follow the guidelines that ROAR put out, the cost of a "D" class extinguisher is a lot more than we expected. Now check your home, or the gym you race at for a fire extinguisher, I bet, most, if not all are only "A,B,C" which will be pretty useless in a Lipo fire, and in some cases will just add to the problem.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:08 PM   #24
Tech Master

well nimh doesnt have a fire. more like a gunshot then metal flyin everywhere.

but anyways. moving on
Old 10-01-2008, 02:16 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Funny, 6 months ago, it was unheard of to have any kind of issues with LiPos. Now that they are becoming more main stream a lot more "issues" are coming to lite.

I never said that one over the other is a better fire, but if you want to follow the guidelines that ROAR put out, the cost of a "D" class extinguisher is a lot more than we expected. Now check your home, or the gym you race at for a fire extinguisher, I bet, most, if not all are only "A,B,C" which will be pretty useless in a Lipo fire, and in some cases will just add to the problem.
you don't have to have a D rated extinguisher, even cheaper than an A, B or C is a 5 gal bucket of sand. It's in the ROAR rules.

Last edited by schurcr; 10-01-2008 at 02:29 PM.
schurcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:19 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Default 20C* 3.7V 2100mAh UL listed LiPO that will fit in a 4-cell tray.

Just Found

20C* 3.7V 2100mAh UL listed LiPO that will fit in a 4-cell tray.

Three cells stacked should make a 6300mah pack 45mm x 92mm x 19mm 160g
Continuous RatedCurrent 95A

Four cells stacked should make a 8400mah pack 45mm x 92mm x 25mm 215g
Continuous Rated Current 126A

This could be for those who can't wait for the R/C battery companies to make a pack. So build your own, and doulbe heatshrink.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:34 PM   #27
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Funny, 6 months ago, it was unheard of to have any kind of issues with LiPos.
you don't get out much do you?
Old 10-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #28
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
One thing you guys never talk about is the associated costs of running a LiPo, go price out a "D" spec fire extinguisher, your going to be very surprised. Now I know why some places won't let you run them.
A bucket of sand works just fine. Our flying field has kept buckets of sand around for years for when they get one going up after a headstand at full throttle into the ground.

Next year, we will be adding buckets of sand around the pit areas to also help out if a fire should ever occur.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

last years lipos being outdated is still better than last months nimh's being outdated..

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:56 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer View Post
Look up the original SMC lipo thread where Danny and I took a beating for weeks on end for telling the lipo police what they didn't want to hear. IT IS RACING PEOPLE. Manufacturers will continue to push the envelope to gain an advantage. It's what we do. It is how we distinguish our products from the 100 online stores that sell Yeah racing packs for $35. For our company to survive and thrive, we have to try to build a better mousetrap. Any company that claims to be involved in racing to better their products and win races, owes it to the consumers who support their products to forge ahead with the latest technology.
how soon we all forget?

danny told everyone that would listen that lipo is the new nimh....

the problem i have with lipo is this...

lrp sells a skinny little 5300 35c pack....i'm willing to bet on a gfx it doesn't hold a candle to a smc 5000 30 c pack!

i won't buy a lipo pack until i see real time gfx numbers stuck on it!

the gfx will not lie!

buyers beware!

smart buyers use smc