R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRL BOARD View Post
Our carpet is ozite. The 3 onroad cars always can start running oval if its going to continue to be a problem and onroad can go away.......we are an oval track that is allowing onroad to be ran. If they don't like the rules they can go to another track which they like to threaten to do all the time. So we decided ok go BYE. I know its harsh but thats the way it is. We will let onroad run as they have for years with us locally but we are staying FOAM ONLY we all already own them so its not a even a problem. The real fast rubber touring drivers from other places are buying rubber tires as often as foam to stay fast too so it is not a money issue. We will let the run, no problem. They just must use foam tires. Its our rules for our track, just like other tracks have rules like no paragon. When we are at their track, we follow their rules. When they are at ours, they will follow ours. We hate rules like that sometimes, but when we are at their track, we follow their wishes. If they want to run rubber when outdoor season is here, they can run them on the asphalt. So if fun is what you are after, come run what everybody else is running. If you want something else, bring it up at the track and it will be talked about. This issue has been dealt with, and the answer is no, and always will be. Sometimes you get what you want. Sometimes you don't. This is just one of those times. If you don't want to run your touring car with foams, maybe you would like to run 1/10 scale pancar with foams. Maybe that is another option to look at and bring up at the track.

SRL Board
Chris
Matt
Gary
Harold
This is the reason why so many tracks in the US fail!!!!
Old 10-01-2008, 10:14 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to ALBERTO Send a message via Yahoo to ALBERTO

Quote:
Our carpet is ozite. The 3 onroad cars always can start running oval if its going to continue to be a problem and onroad can go away.......we are an oval track that is allowing onroad to be ran. If they don't like the rules they can go to another track which they like to threaten to do all the time. So we decided ok go BYE. I know its harsh but thats the way it is. We will let onroad run as they have for years with us locally but we are staying FOAM ONLY we all already own them so its not a even a problem. The real fast rubber touring drivers from other places are buying rubber tires as often as foam to stay fast too so it is not a money issue. We will let the run, no problem. They just must use foam tires. Its our rules for our track, just like other tracks have rules like no paragon. When we are at their track, we follow their rules. When they are at ours, they will follow ours. We hate rules like that sometimes, but when we are at their track, we follow their wishes. If they want to run rubber when outdoor season is here, they can run them on the asphalt. So if fun is what you are after, come run what everybody else is running. If you want something else, bring it up at the track and it will be talked about. This issue has been dealt with, and the answer is no, and always will be. Sometimes you get what you want. Sometimes you don't. This is just one of those times. If you don't want to run your touring car with foams, maybe you would like to run 1/10 scale pancar with foams. Maybe that is another option to look at and bring up at the track.

SRL Board
Chris
Matt
Gary
Harold
Wow truly nice of you to keep an open mind... one word comes to my mind douche happy driving
ALBERTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #18
Tech Addict

Is there any hard evidence that rubber is harder on carpet than foam in club racing? My club was concerned about this a few years back, and was informed by CRC that this wasn't true. What did you guys see that made you change your opinion on this?

My subjective experience in club racing has been that carpet tracks where there's a lot of foam being run look way more beat up than when it's a majority rubber. My rubber cars always come off clean and carpet-free, while the foam cars are always much dirtier.

Either way, thanks for the insight. It's good to hear you're working to improve the carpet for the changing R/C climate, and overall decline of foam tires.
Adam? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:58 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team CRC View Post
It is true that rubber tires do stress the carpet more than foam. The rubber heats up and gets soft and sticky to the point of actually pulling up the racing surface similar to pulling tape up.

That's interesting. My limited experience says otherwise. Earlier this year I raced 12th scale at an out of town track. Everybody running 12th scale would lose traction after a few minutes and when the cars were pulled off the rack the tyres were covered in carpet fibres. The other big class to run was 10.5/19 turn rubber and they had no traction issues and did not pull the carpet up.

I'll bow to your obviously superior knowledge in this as it's what you guys do. I'm just stating that I've seen otherwise.
Rob Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:26 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Burns View Post
That's interesting. My limited experience says otherwise. Earlier this year I raced 12th scale at an out of town track. Everybody running 12th scale would lose traction after a few minutes and when the cars were pulled off the rack the tyres were covered in carpet fibres. The other big class to run was 10.5/19 turn rubber and they had no traction issues and did not pull the carpet up.
Been there done that, I have raced 1:12 or oval and my tires had alot of carpet lint. I noticed this more on the natural rubber compounds like Pink, Magenta and Purple.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:11 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Their business

Congrats guys. It's your business and your choice.
If the disgruntled bunch is energetic enough then they can create a competitive track to meet theri own needs.
Of course, splitting the vote has risks for both in terms of survival but everyone will have had their choice. Seen it before, choice has cost. The cost is often if not always, losing one or both tracks. The retrospect then will be a completely different tone.

Quote:

SRL Board
Chris
Matt
Gary
Harold
todd8603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:24 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Well said. The four d-bags will fail. Some people dont have a clue how to run business or do they call it a club that there making money at?
eddie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:52 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Our track used to race both rubber and foam TC on carpet. I raced both. My experience was that the tires that hooked up , the rubber wore far less than its foam counterpart. Was far less dirty as well. I never really experienced carpet fibers coming off my rubber tires but always with the foam. Foam chunks too, my rubber tires would normally rip and stay on the tire and not on the track.

I personally think there is more damage done to the track from improperly cut bodies dragging on the carpet and producing tears rather than different compounds of rubber being laid down on a surface.

Maybe these guys found that runnign rubber tires did something to the groove they laid down. Guess i can understand that if its the case. Our track tries to get a nice groove laid down and it sucks when it goes down.
wcalaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:24 AM   #24
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
This is the reason why so many tracks in the US fail!!!!
+1 and ditto!
two of my first experiences in the States with clubs were similar to this. One was an on road outdoor that refused pretty much to run anything but nitro because these guys were full scale drag fans and just wanted sound and power. That died off....and then another was a genuine good ol' boys club where their classes and rules were catered to a few..the track ended up with that few and nobody else...game over.

Don't worry..you see that elsewhere in the world too, but in the States for some reason I find alot of places I discover while traveling are gone the next timer I come around.

and btw..as to the thought that the onroad runners need to start their own track, that is a definate plus...you also have to keep in mind what was said about both groups killing each other off. I couldn't care less if the oval board does what they do, it just sucks to see its impact overall to an RC community. If you guys follow U.S. open wheel racing and knew how the IRL/CART split occurred you know its not a good route to go down.

"Racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vain desire for something salt-like" - Peter Egan (Road & Track senior Editor)
jmcn r is offline   Reply With Quote