R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Losi Speed-T Differential Question (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/244683-losi-speed-t-differential-question.html)

BM1 09-28-2008 11:49 AM

Losi Speed-T Differential Question

I already ate up the differential gear in my Losi Speed-T. Is the Losi 1/10 Desert Truck differential a direct bolt-in replacement for my stocker? It looks a lot stronger.

rocketron 09-28-2008 02:36 PM

to iinstall the gear diff you need the gear diff tranmission case and the complete gear diff assy. all the other components are interchangable.

geeunit1014 09-28-2008 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by BM1 (Post 4884957)
I already ate up the differential gear in my Losi Speed-T. Is the Losi 1/10 Desert Truck differential a direct bolt-in replacement for my stocker? It looks a lot stronger.

Lets think about this for a minute - the speed t is desinged to handle up to a 3s lipo with the BL motor, and open gear diffs like the DT's dont really handle much more than the stock motors well.. if your looking for a diff instead of a solid axle (what the ST is supposed to be) id just get diff balls and make it a ball diff, which will hold up better than the gear diff.

rocketron 09-28-2008 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by geeunit1014 (Post 4886231)
Lets think about this for a minute - the speed t is desinged to handle up to a 3s lipo with the BL motor, and open gear diffs like the DT's dont really handle much more than the stock motors well.. if your looking for a diff instead of a solid axle (what the ST is supposed to be) id just get diff balls and make it a ball diff, which will hold up better than the gear diff.

actually the ball diff typically does not last very long. especially if running high speed wheelie popping runs. the diff that comes in the speed-t must be oil free and very tight, and can last a fairly long time.

the gear diff in the desert truck will handle the speed-t power. BUT and here is the BUT if you are trying to do speed runs with the Speed-T using the gear diff it is a handful to drive at speed.

BM1 09-29-2008 02:40 PM

Update

I called Losi today regarding the differential failures on these Speed-Ts, and they said I need to run a 17-tooth pinion gear instead of the stock 20-tooth gear to fix the differential failure issues. They said you need to drop a few tooth sizes on the pinion when running 3-Cell LiPo in on-road situations, so they instructed me to get the Losi 17-tooth pinion which I did.

I'll let you folks know how it turns out when I get it and install it. :tire:

rocketron 09-29-2008 05:09 PM

Was the diff gear black that broke? If so the new white ones are much better. made sure the pads are clean of any lubricant and use a NEW diff nut. The diff nuts are alum and fatigue after rebuild.

BM1 09-29-2008 05:19 PM

Yes the diff that broke was the stock black one. I ordered 2 of the new white differentials. I'm hoping those are stronger than the stock black one.

I also ordered a couple new spur gears as well as the new 17T pinion gear. Hopefully the new differential in conjunction with the 17T pinion will solve the differential issues.

I looked through the book and didn't see a differential nut. All I see in the exploded view is a bolt that runs through the middle. Am I just missing it?

BM1 09-30-2008 05:44 PM

UPDATE:

I rebuilt the differential tonight using one of the new white differential gears from Losi. I also installed a 17T pinion to replace the stock 20T and a new 88T spur gear.

I took it out on the street and ripped on it using a 3S 11.1 LiPo pack and the "medium" ESC setting to start out. Everything was working beautifully and it was ripping! I decided to bump it up to the "High" ESC setting and let 'er rip. Again everything was awesome with no grinding or issues. The thing pulls harder down low than it did before. It either blows the tires off or sits on the wheelie bar! So far I'm happy with this new combo.

For all you Speed-T folks out there tired of eating up differentials, I highly recommend going this route.

Micko11 10-16-2008 12:20 PM

Hi guys new to this thread, I just bought one of these rockets here in Australia, it has the new white diff but still chewed it up in the first 10min. My local hobby store has supplied me a new 1 free of charge and gave me a 18t pinion but I havent tried it yet, but with the new bottom end performance you are getting on the 17t I might go that way or even as lowas 16t.

Mick

Drift_Buggy 10-21-2008 01:54 AM

Anyone know what the part number is for this white diff?

rocketron 10-21-2008 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy (Post 4961596)
Anyone know what the part number is for this white diff?

LOSA2945 with pads

y2kgtp 10-25-2008 01:29 PM

Anyone convert the Speed-T to Stadium truck racer? All I see is a ball diff and some different tires to make it competitive on the track. The shocks are about 3/4" shorter in length as well....but either play with shock mounting locations, or swap for some XXX-T shocks if it becomes a real issue.

phresko 11-27-2008 09:34 AM

Do you guys know if the LOSA3036 will fit to replace the diff gear? It seems like its the same as part LOSA2945 but without the locker/pads. Thanks

y2kgtp 11-27-2008 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by phresko (Post 5100072)
Do you guys know if the LOSA3036 will fit to replace the diff gear? It seems like its the same as part LOSA2945 but without the locker/pads. Thanks

I would think so....did you burn yours up?

Chill_Will 11-27-2008 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by y2kgtp (Post 4977348)
Anyone convert the Speed-T to Stadium truck racer? All I see is a ball diff and some different tires to make it competitive on the track. The shocks are about 3/4" shorter in length as well....but either play with shock mounting locations, or swap for some XXX-T shocks if it becomes a real issue.

Also the shock towers are different. You won't get the same handling with it as the XXXT unless you changed them and the body.