Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Custom chassis

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 03:29 PM
ajg

Default Custom chassis

Can I make a chassis for my tc3 out of these carbon fiber sheets?
http://www.macqc.com/raceplates/newProducts.htm
I would use a dremel to cut out two pieces, the shape of the chassis and glue them together to make an almost 3mm chassis.
Would I be able to use the flex pieces for it?

Last edited by ajg; 08-31-2003 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:26 PM
Tech Adept

I dont see why not but you'd have to make it exactly the same as the tc3 chassis, screw holes in the exact spot and all. It doesn't sound like it would be easy.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Cutting it out by hand wouldn't look very good. You won't be able to make straight lines. Plus you don't want to breathe all those graphite particles.

Jason
Old 08-31-2003, 05:22 PM
Tech Adept

yeah graphite and skin dont mix, it will itch like hell. I know from expireince, I broke one of my hockey sticks and was trying to get the rest of the blade out and I touched the graphite a lot and it gave me an uncomfortable itch the rest of the day.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:38 PM
ajg

For cutting it I could put my old chassis on the carbon fiber and cut out the shape. And for the holes I would have my old chassis still tape or sitting on the new one so I could just drill the hole through the old ones into the new chassis (not ruening the old holes but making the new ones the exact same size). That seems like it would work well, don't you guys think so?

Also where can I get a 12x12 inch piece of carbon fiber 1.5 to 3mm thick (.0625 to .125 inches thick)?
And where can I get a dremel or demel type tool for cheap?

Thanks!

Last edited by ajg; 08-31-2003 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:27 AM
Tech Adept

Well, it depends on what your going to cut it with. You cant just break out the hack saw and start from there.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:12 AM
ajg

I would use a dremel.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:25 PM
Tech Regular

Make sure you wear a dust mask. Huffing that dust will take years off your life.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default Carbon

Cutting carbon is not for the weak of pocket. I purchased a 12x12 sheet before, traced out a design and started to go at it with my dremel...quickly ate through multiple cutting wheels, got all itchy and sneezed black dust from the carbon and to boot, my chassis was a half ass looking pos. After alot of finisghing and grinding, it looked half decent. FOr the time and money I spent on making it, I would have been better off buying a pre made setup...

Now, a year later and a year smarter, I have someone else cut the stuff for me....it's not the easiest stuff to work with.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Another quite large problem I forsee...... The motor mount, nobody sells it seperate and it would cost almost as much as a prefabed C/F chassis set-up to have a one-off machined......

The flex stuff would be very, very inappropriate to work with also, it is made to bend around curves quite easily, and that isn't the best formula for an RC chassis!!
Old 09-01-2003, 04:54 PM
Tech Initiate

you would be better off spending the money for a Scroll saw used for woodworking...it will be 100 times more accurate and easier to use...and not nearly as much dust...they also have diff blades for finer or coarse cuts..just My opinion.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Just save your time and effort and buy a chassis.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...&postid=489538

This is a really cool looking conversion for the TC3. Not sure of the price or where to get it at.

Jason
Old 09-02-2003, 09:13 PM
Tech Addict

ajg,

I wouldn't use that CF for a for even a skid plate! It's mearly a cosmetic piece and, not structural quality. It will not be cost-effective to manufacture your own chassis. It would be a great learning experience though. You should get some good quality CF and start with shock towers or battery braces...small stuff.

I can't stress the safety issues enough when dealling with CF. Here is a link to an MSDS for carbon fiber. Keep in mind that this is for only the carbon...not the resins and other chemicals used to bond the layers together. This link from the OHSA gives some info on the resins used in the layup of CF. The rest of the also provides some great info on the manufacture of CF and other advanced composites.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by BuddhaTech; 09-02-2003 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:35 PM
ajg

Thanks
Old 09-04-2003, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

save time and mony dont try to reinvent the wheel there are plenty of choices out there unless you have enough money to produce a car and do the r&d to make it competitive and when races to sell a thousand of them. save the trouble and buy a kit itll be cheaper in the long run

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.