R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default NiMH Battery and Charger Questions

Iam gonna be starting running Stock Foam Touring and 1/12th Stock in a couple of weeks at the new track, and iam wondering about batteries and chargers. I would go Lipo, but since the 1/12 uses NiMH batteries, i figured to use them in the Touring Car as well.

Whats the differnce between the Pitbull X3 Charger and the MuchMore Cell Master? Iam looking at used ones and iam wondering which one is better.

What other equiptment do i need to charge NiMH batteries? I was thinking about a discharge tray, but iam not for sure what that does.

Also, who still does NiMH battery matching? Whats the "best bang for the buck" matched batteries?

Sorry for all the noob questions, iam a Nitro guy.

Thanks
SBS Motorsports
hrnts69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Anybody?
hrnts69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:04 AM   #3
Tech Master

SMC still does matching, and has always been a quality product. I know for a fact that the Pitbull 3x is a really good charger. Discharge trays are worth their weight. I use 2; one for quickly discharging (0-30 from Integy - pull the pack when the lights go out), and the other to equalize (Novak Smart tray).
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:43 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here`s the guy I get batteries from. www.specpointbatteries.com

He`s not as well known as some of the others but he knows his stuff, he`s honest, and his prices are good.

The best buy is the IB3800 matched cells for $5.00/cell. Unless you are racing at the highest level of international competition, they will be fine for touring and 12th scale.

You can get chargers and trays pretty cheap on the For Sale Section now that everybody wants Lipo stuff.

I use a Novak Millenium and a Novak Smart Tray. They work fine.

Have fun.
mike fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

If you check out Promatchracing.com, he has got some really good deals on Metal Hydride batteries.Those are what I ran until switching to LIPO.There's also some E bay stores you can get batteries cheap, but remember, you get what you pay for.
I am a huge fan of Competition Electronics and their chargers.I have been using their turbo 30's for a lot of years with not one single problem. Thats my recommendation. I am not familiar with some of those other chargers but have herd good things about integy and novak.
Like has been said, take a looksee at the for sale threads,you should be able to find some good deals there also.
Almost forgot, I also used and liked the Tekin battery doctor discharge tray.(recommended by Promatch) It takes your batteries down to .5 volts per cell at a 2 amp discharge but the Novak one is a good one also.

OvalDude99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Personally, it would be easier to run Lipo in your TC and NIMH in your pan car. I have been running LiPO TC for awhile and decided to run pan car as well to fill the time between heats. After running 2 classes for the first time, the lack of LiPO maintenance becomes WELL justified, especially when trying to dial in the cars or fix them.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:46 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezenclowd3 View Post
Personally, it would be easier to run Lipo in your TC and NIMH in your pan car. I have been running LiPO TC for awhile and decided to run pan car as well to fill the time between heats. After running 2 classes for the first time, the lack of LiPO maintenance becomes WELL justified, especially when trying to dial in the cars or fix them.
AMEN. I would follow this advice, the last time I tried to run two classes there was just too much to get done between runs and I dropped out of one class before the second round of qualifying. WIth a Lipo and brushless in the touring car, it becomes essentially maintenance free (except for crash repairs, of course) and you have plenty of time to relax and do whatever you need to do between runs. Right now I'm running rubber tourinig and I plan to run 1/12 as well once I have LiPO in the TC.

As for which LiPO and charger to tun, I'm still undecided, but I'm leaning to either Trinity or Checkpoint LiPOs and either putting the LiPO upgrade ini my GFX or grabbing the Losi LiPO balancing charger.

For NIMH, I'd go with SMC's EnerG cells, everyone around here that uses them has been saying good things. Dump them at 30 amps to 5.4 volts (or 3.6 for a 4 cell pack) then Novak tray them to .9 per cell then charge at 6 amps to peak and go. If you're going to store them for more than a few days, put 15 or 20 minutes of charge in before putting them away.