Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JRX-S TYPE R v. TC5R COMPARISON

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 07:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default JRX-S TYPE R v. TC5R COMPARISON

Looking for any experienced comparisons......

I'm thinking the the TC5R being a newer design with more flex built in may be better than the JRX-S (R). On the other hand, it seems like the battery placement in the JRXS could be a real advantage.

Thoughts?
Old 10-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Tech Master

One thing I want to know is why chassis are designed to flex as much as they do.Why is that more desirable than letting the suspension do it's job?
Old 10-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by outlandr91
One thing I want to know is why chassis are designed to flex as much as they do.Why is that more desirable than letting the suspension do it's job?

I would assume with rubber tire racing becoming more popular and the insane speeds of modified. The extra flex is a welcomed thing!
Old 10-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

On the Type R you can take out the four supporting posts that surround the battery compartment and then dremel off the bottom of the posts to use to hold the battery tray. This gives you the chassis flex that you want for rubber tire racing.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I'd just like to put my two cents in regarding chassis flex... While making a car more flexible can increase grip, it's my belief that the better way is to adjust the suspension correctly. In my opinion (notice I say opinion, I'm not proclaiming it as a law of the universe) chassis flex is more like a band-aid fix for suspension issues.

On the other hand, on race day when time is limited, chassis flex adjustments might just be the way to get on the pace quickly without spending a lot of time testing... so take your pick...
Old 10-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by outlandr91
This has always been interesting to me as well, coming from the 1:1 car world as you probably do. We build for maximum chassis stiffness to allow the suspension to do its job and make the variables tunable. Prevailing wisdom in the RC world based on a massive amount of empirical data seems to favor more chassis flexibility for rubber/asphalt and more stiffness for the high-grip foam/carpet scenario.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I noticed that a car with some chasis flex has a bigger sweet spot when it comes to dialing in set ups. Stiffer Chasis like the losi is either one of the fastest or really off.... Just basing this of my friends performance with his losi...

Another thing to consider when comparing 1.1 cars. Nobody uses a lock front differential in 1.1 road racing.....
Old 10-12-2008, 05:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Francis M.
I noticed that a car with some chasis flex has a bigger sweet spot when it comes to dialing in set ups. Stiffer Chasis like the losi is either one of the fastest or really off.... Just basing this of my friends performance with his losi...

Another thing to consider when comparing 1.1 cars. Nobody uses a lock front differential in 1.1 road racing.....
Thats more of a Losi thing. There off-roaders are the same way. If your off and inch on your setup, the car is a mile off. If your setup is perfect, the car is awsome.

Asc's have always been easyer to tune in and get a good car. If your setup is close, the car is great.

Look at the Hpi pro 4, that chasis flexed like crazy !! Worked really well outdoors but too slugish indoors.

When I had my xray, I had a thick chasis on rubber. Got to try a buddies xray with thinner chasis. His felt a little smoother but that was about the only diffrents I could feel. Didnt have pt in to see if it made a diffrents to the clock.

DK
Old 10-12-2008, 07:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

scientifically speaking, forces don't scale. that's why the "stiffer the better" rule on 1:1 cars don't really apply.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MTRezNIN
Looking for any experienced comparisons......

I'm thinking the the TC5R being a newer design with more flex built in may be better than the JRX-S (R). On the other hand, it seems like the battery placement in the JRXS could be a real advantage.

Thoughts?
jrx, xxxs,tc3,tc5,416,xray, etc....there all capable of wining at the very top level. You have to pick the car you can get parts for and makes sense to you.

Top 4 guys in a-main fri night....cyclone,jrx-s,415,tc5. Its all up to the driver/setup. Dont get caught up in the car of the week deal. You will go broke !!

I personally like the TC5 over the JRX-s cause for some reason losi's are harder to setup. If your off a little you mine as well be off a mile. TC5 is easy to tune and you can feel every adjustment you make. Not a big change but a noticable one. If your close on setup, your in the hunt.

Hope this helps.
DK
Old 10-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Minami
scientifically speaking, forces don't scale. that's why the "stiffer the better" rule on 1:1 cars don't really apply.

In thoery your right but the tech in real cars are so much more advanced and they can get away with the stiffest chasis... In foam tire/carpet the stiffer the better because of the available traction but in asphalt having a little bit of flex is a lot easier to dial in....
Old 10-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

yep.. having some flex for your asphalt racer would make it easier for you to get that "sweet spot".
Old 10-13-2008, 07:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I love the JRXS-R. best car i've ever owned by a mile. and set-up has never been dificult for me. I much prefer a stiff chassis even in rubber tire, as setting tweak on a flexi chassis is a royal pain. plus the car never turns the same from turn to turn or race to race due to the flexing. a flexible chasssis may be slightly faster in rubber, but to me it's just not worth it....
Old 10-13-2008, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Ya know, the Losi car looked good, but here's the problem. Even the 2 Losi SPONSERED drivers that raced at my track had a difficult time getting parts for it. That's why one of them left Losi from what I understand. I think the TC5 is much easier to tune. And i do agree about how the Losi's are. If your setup is slightly off, the car or truck handles like ass, but if it's right on, it's DIALED. With my T4, if my set up is slightly off, the truck is still fast.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AssocRacer
Ya know, the Losi car looked good, but here's the problem. Even the 2 Losi SPONSERED drivers that raced at my track had a difficult time getting parts for it. That's why one of them left Losi from what I understand. I think the TC5 is much easier to tune. And i do agree about how the Losi's are. If your setup is slightly off, the car or truck handles like ass, but if it's right on, it's DIALED. With my T4, if my set up is slightly off, the truck is still fast.
Funny how different tracks have have completely opposite results, we have at least half our racers running type-r's now, and very rarely does one like "ass". The only part that has been a "problem" is the steel lipo tray, which sells out as soon as its available. We have a lot of very fast national level racers come to our track all with Losi, Corrally, AE getting it done, all of these current gen chassis are solid platforms.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.