Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Heat and 2.4GHz Receiver Issues/Shut Down >

Heat and 2.4GHz Receiver Issues/Shut Down

Heat and 2.4GHz Receiver Issues/Shut Down

Old 09-16-2008, 04:20 AM
Tech Adept

Default Heat and 2.4GHz Receiver Issues/Shut Down

Dear All,

As you already know, the 2.4Ghz DSM radio signal started a real revolution a few years ago...
But this technology also has its weak point. I'm thinking about the OVERHEATING CUT. You know, when you're in the middle of your run and suddenly.... ...Paff!!! Your 2.4GHz receiver decided to shut down because of too much heat...

So, in this new thread, I would like you Guys to share your experience with overheating issues.
Could you tell us under which temperature, with which brand/module/receiver partnumber, etc.

Thanks a lot for your cooperation.
Cheers

Slide
Old 09-16-2008, 04:56 AM
Tech Elite

just heard about this issue now...i hope not happened to my Fasst someday...
Old 09-16-2008, 05:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I've never heard of this, and I run in hot, sunny Florida weather. Is there actually a temp circuit in 2.4Ghz receivers?
Old 09-16-2008, 05:29 AM
Tech Elite

Have heard 140 was a magic number for the FAST systems. at our 5th scale race some of the california guys had novak fans on their receiver boxes.... not sure if it helps, we also had a 10th scale car at the regionals this last weekend that had the same re-boot issues.

drove the guy nuts trying to find the problem.

TZR
Old 09-16-2008, 05:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

I have seen this happen a couple times... It was with a guy running the Futaba Faast stuff... He was running it in his 1/8th Buggy and after about 20 minutes it would get so hot it would shut off. He even tried putting a fan on it and it still didn't work. It seems like it was only affected when running long run times, when used in his Touring Car it was fine...
Old 09-16-2008, 05:51 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you Guys for your quick replies !

Yes, the real symptom is more a "re-boot" than a real temp cut like would make a speedo. When a speepo has a temps cut, the steering are still operational and allows you to put the car in a safe zone.
But when the receiver suddenly shut down, you can not do anything at all.
After a few seconds, the receiver is ok again and work normally but the crash and the wasted time are enough to ruin your qualify race or main final.

I met the problem many times during 2 races under very hot conditions (38°C/100.4°F in the pit area and up to 60°C/140°F on the track).
I tried many other locations with fans on the chassis, as far as possible from any heat source. Even on the steering servo (1/10 Touring car), it happened as well.

Many other guys using Futaba 3PK 2.4GHz and R603FS receiver met exactly the same problems during these 2 races. It also drove us nuts !!
New Futaba 4PK and R604FS receiver owners didn't meet any problem, even when the receiver was directly flat taped on the chassis.

So, I would like to know if someone already met the same issue with different radio brand, Futaba with Spektrum Module or Sanwa DSSS or Sanwa with Sprektrum modules, etc.

Any info or tips are welcome !!

Slide
Old 09-16-2008, 05:57 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hobbipro
I've never heard of this, and I run in hot, sunny Florida weather. Is there actually a temp circuit in 2.4Ghz receivers?
Hmm, I don't think there's any temp circuit in 2.4GHz Receivers. Not like in a speedo at least.
I guess it's only because of a tricky component that doesn't stand too much heat.

Slide
Old 09-16-2008, 09:25 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

from what I have seen it looks like the first batches of 3pk 2.4 recv were fine, but the recent batches have had issues. I have 3 recv from the first days and they are perfect in 140+ track temp for 30+mins in nitro. But I have seen many issues, at least 3, with ones purchased recently.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've been running 2.4 for 3 seasons now, and with summer days in the 110's have never had this issue. This kinda seems new. Is it only with the FASST systems?

What are the symptoms?

Paul
Old 09-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I run Spektrum in all 5 of my race vehicals and in my boat for over a year and i've never experienced this problem.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I had the reboot issue on one race day early in the summer when it was quite hot (R603FF FASST). It happened several times that day. I sent the rx in, they replaced it, and I have had no further problems, even on very hot days here in socal. I run several of these receivers and only had a problem that one day.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

it was a 4pk transmitter that had problems this weekend, not sure if was the recivier that came with the 4pk or did he have one from his earlier stuff????
Old 09-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Tubaboy
I've been running 2.4 for 3 seasons now, and with summer days in the 110's have never had this issue. This kinda seems new. Is it only with the FASST systems?

What are the symptoms?

Paul
Hi Paul,

I don't know if it's on FASST system only, but most of the time the complains came from 3PK FASST owners. Sanwa DSSS are safe so far but I don't know about Spektrum DX3 system or the module/receiver they build for tier brands.

the symptom is more like a "re-boot" than a real temp cut like would make a speedo. When a speepo has a temps cut, the steering is still operational and allows you to put the car in a safe zone.
But when the receiver suddenly re-boot once it's too hot, you can not do anything at all.
After a few seconds, the receiver is ok again and work normally but the crash and the wasted time are enough to ruin your qualify race or main final.

That's how I experienced the problem.

Slide
Old 09-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MAD916
it was a 4pk transmitter that had problems this weekend, not sure if was the recivier that came with the 4pk or did he have one from his earlier stuff????
Yes, I also heard about the 4PK first batch issue. Futuaba was late to deliver its new release because of the receiver issue. Now everything should be all right with the 4PK.

Slide