R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-15-2008, 12:08 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default NORTH vs. SOUTH "Carpet Clash" (Central California)

With the NEW Activities Center in the small farming community in LINDSAY having Ruben's (Stockton R/C) Carpet, and being the beautiful facility this place is...

What will it take to get On-Road "Carpet" Racers to come for a BIG event?

2 or 3 "On-Road' days have been held so far, and the turnouts have been dismal from what I'm told.. So do CALIFORNIA racers want a place where they can run on the RUG at an affordable price - in one of THE LARGEST activites centers IN THE WORLD.
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:20 AM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Personally Joe..I dont think the nor cal guys would show (cuz if it's any farther than Stockton the on road boys are a no show..fer sure)..The Oval guys will travel to represent..I know the So Cal on road guys would bring it..and I dont think the cen cal on road racers exist..So I guess we could have a So Cal carpet race in Central California..Best bet would be to have an OVAL..North versus South..You would actually have racers show up..
Old 09-15-2008, 12:53 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Mike,

We can't even get the Nor-Cal guys for OVAL.

I'm thankful to have some of the boys from the local area who've had to travel over the years...

Big B & John Card are pretty local I believe. We had 42 entries - and I'd say 85% (if not more) were from at least 2 1/2 - 3 hours SOUTH or SOUTH-WEST. (Including 7 of us from the COAST)

The OVAL racing was awesome - and I really wanted to stay to watch some ON-ROAD (even brought my son's TC) but he voted against me - he had 'STUFF' to do today.

It would be great if the carpet had a place to be laid down ALL THE TIME - and maybe get something like the "Vintage Trans/Am" class and/or maybe a LOSI Slider type class running on Tuesday or Wednesday nights.

Small town like LINDSAY - and NOT really having any 'LOCAL' racers - will KILL the long term dream of having such an incredible facility to race in.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
Tech Lord

The oval guys show..well at least John an B show....Their are a few local guys that still have cars but I think that the local scene has turned into a "us versus them" deal..and most guys would rather not race..when i closed my track i was getting about 30 guys every Friday night..pretty good but i could no longer afford $1000 a month out of my pocket to just keep the doors open....
Old 09-15-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Before you throw Ruben carpet name around take a look at when he use to run the indoor carpet season. It's been nothing but nice weather out so why go indoors? The carpet track use to open in October but he sometimes opened early to get locals some practice before the IIC. Possibly once the rain starts you might get a better turn out. To say guys won't go past Stockton is lame since I saw a ton of racers at yesterday's race in Marin.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Clint,

I started this thread for POSITIVE response to see if there IS interest in doing a LARGE On-Road event.

On-Road Racing (to race) isn't really my bag anymore...but I would be more than willing to work with MIKE who has made an effort to just get enough people to come check out this NEW "INCREDIBLE" facility, that has given the opportunity for R/C Racing to have an INDOOR Place to RACE in an area that is TOO FREAKIN HOT to race outdoors during the summer.

Personally, I know what RUBEN's schedule was, as well I know RUBEN did an awesome job and still had a hard time getting great turnouts all winter long...

Us OVAL Guys will race CARPET anytime of the year - to US 'CARPET' is a treat...as long as we don't BURN IT OUT.

The facility is/has/was hoping to have some racing and in part they hope to be able to get something LOCAL going that they car themselves run the races for. (They have AMB w/ handout transponders, etc.) But they need a few more races to be run while they learn how to do racing.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:21 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

i'm from the midwest so carpets my bag. But i'm not a foam guy. I'm going to try and head up from the oc a few times this year during the rainy season. but other then that and bigger races i'll prob be a no show. sorry.

minimusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:13 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
Clint,

I started this thread for POSITIVE response to see if there IS interest in doing a LARGE On-Road event.

On-Road Racing (to race) isn't really my bag anymore...but I would be more than willing to work with MIKE who has made an effort to just get enough people to come check out this NEW "INCREDIBLE" facility, that has given the opportunity for R/C Racing to have an INDOOR Place to RACE in an area that is TOO FREAKIN HOT to race outdoors during the summer.

Personally, I know what RUBEN's schedule was, as well I know RUBEN did an awesome job and still had a hard time getting great turnouts all winter long...

Us OVAL Guys will race CARPET anytime of the year - to US 'CARPET' is a treat...as long as we don't BURN IT OUT.

The facility is/has/was hoping to have some racing and in part they hope to be able to get something LOCAL going that they car themselves run the races for. (They have AMB w/ handout transponders, etc.) But they need a few more races to be run while they learn how to do racing.
Wasn't trying to be negetive. You asked a question and I gave a resonable answer. If you took that the wrong way then I'm sorry. There are a couple more large events still to be run in our area so people are going to be testing and club racing preparing for them. I'll just leave it at this and won't comment any further.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:30 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I would definitely attend a carpet race at this facility, 12th scale or TC foams.

RC America / XRayUSA / Hudy / Motiv / Avid / Vannen Watches
J.Filipow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:38 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to ERTRACHTER
Default SO-CAL VS. nor-cal

I'd be down for a so-cal vs. nor-cal battle there has been talk about a race like that for years now but nobody ever made it happen but id make it in late november or december cause of the nice weather and like clint says theres still 2 outdoor races in norcal in october just my opininon though good luck joe the facility is awesome if theres anything i can do to help let me know later jason
ASSOCIATED 12r5.1,REEDY MOTOR AND BATTERY, LRP SPEEDO,KIMBROUGH PRODUCTS,BIG DOG RACING,BELMONT R/C SPEEDSHOP, DENNIS LYMAN RACING, TEAM TOSO, TEAM FACTORY BITTER, SCHUUR SOLUTIONS, SIMMONS RACING, TEAM BOOZCRUZ
ERTRACHTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:51 PM   #11
Tech Lord

I just want a place for people to race..I just want to race..I'm making nothing off this..for the record i dont blame anyone for not traveling..times are tough..Clint I guess technically Marin is south of Sac..but it's still above Stockton....for any track to survive you need the support from the local racers..the Field house does not need the Nor Cal racers..We want the Nor Cal guys to show up every once in a while and feel welcomed..we want the Nor Cal guys to race because they are fast and have a lot of knowledge to share..I also hope that Tony, Jason and Walter show back up for the same reasons..The beauty of the field house is THEY WANT TO RACE..they dont have to make money off the racing right away..in fact they know that theirs not much to be made but they still want to have a racing program..They brought it in for the exposure to the rest of their facility..The people who brought the racing in are excited about having RC racing at their facility. I do think that a North versus South could work..They do have the facility to do this. We just need racers to race....
Old 09-15-2008, 11:56 PM   #12
Tech Lord

I do think that Joe and I could get something going on this, Just let us know when would be a good time to do this..I'm quite sure the Field House would be very open to a "Big Race"....You guys let us know what month would be good and I'll get to work on it..
Old 09-16-2008, 12:21 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Mike,

On this track we do need support from local guys, But the big factor that we have a small turnout on on-road is scheadule, We talked to freddie (event organizer) about this that they need to have a set scheadule. we also mention that they might want to start some kind point series races to get the ball rolling. I will try to do my best to advertised this track on our website.

I also mention that OCTOBER is the start of carpet season and freddie said he will try to have a set scheadule and he will contact you mike or me if they figure out when will be the next race.

He also mention if it's ok to have the track setup on the 3rd floor? He said that their is a lot of stuff going on the main building every weekend and this is also the reason that they can't really give us a set scheadule.

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:39 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Clint, quite the opposite.

Personally, I took your comments as positive and exactly the info needed.

The people who will make a place survive 'week in and week out' may or may not be the ones who would show up for a bigger event.

Jason, as you know I don't do much with On-Road (Other than our LOCAL racing up in NIPOMO) and I have very little to do with that other than calling the races.

Oasis and Jochim_18 are much closer to Lindsay than I am, hopefully they can really help get something going here for a regular 'local' event. (I'm 3+ hours away too)

When we walked in the doors on Saturday and were told we'd be on the 3rd floor of an UNFINISHED building it PISSED ME OFF. However, fairly quickly that attitude changed...it was kind of nice being secluded in what felt like a HUGE warehouse. The hospitality of the staff of the McDermont Center was awesome ALL DAY LONG.

If they could leave the carpet laid down on the third floor from now through the end of winter...it could be great. (And it would save THEM a lot of work)

AS LONG AS THEY HAVE SOMEONE who can run the LIFT EQUIPMENT to get all the 'stuff' to the top floor (or they have an elevator operating)

There's probably enough room to pit 300+ people upstairs.

...maybe starting something like the "Vintage Trans-Am" touring class could draw some of the guys who are fairly close. I don't know who and what is racing On-Road around Fresno, or any of the other areas. I know there is NO On-Road in Bakersfield, not much over here on this part of the coast either. Down Camarillo way I'm hearing they are getting a good turnout, otherwise it's all the way down to the OC for Raffell's stuff and Charlies stuff.

Myself, I have so much going every weekend through the 2nd week of December...but our OVAL will be back in Lindsay early in NOVEMBER. (Maybe you guys can try a On-Road day again on the Sunday after our deal)