Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TB-02

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 06:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Hawk6
So where can I get hex screws for the TB-02??

rcscrewz.com only advertises TB-01.

Can someone post a specific source?

Thanks again.

I'm not a fan of hex screws. I've found that hex hole strips too easily when the screws are in too tight.

Tamiya have titanium screws for the tb-02.

These are:

53018 3x10mm titanium countersunk tapping screw (10 pcs).
53095 3x10mm titanium tapping screw (round head) (10pcs).
Old 06-30-2005, 10:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Phenochilus
Don't over tighten the screws, the screw holes can strip pretty easily especially the gear box ones and upper arm mounts.

Buy a pack of Tamiya 53587 5mm shim set to shim out the slop in the wheels.

Buy the 53570 clamp type aluminium wheel hubs (4mm thick). You'll find that the plastic ones won't last long and after a few crashes, your wheels will wobble like jelly.

Make sure the bearing behind the bevel gears is seated properly - otherwise you'll get binding of the drive train.
I found that the TT01 suffers from the exact same problems. I guess this is a Tamiya thing?
Screw hole stripping, slop, plastic hubs breaking... yup.

Is the stock TB02 plastic really soft? seemed pretty hard to me.

Last edited by dugrant153; 07-04-2005 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:25 AM
Tech Adept

Now that the tb-02r front & rear brace sets are available seperately, does anyone know how much weight savings can be gained by installing these on a tb-02 ?

I'm finding that this chassis is about 100 grams over weight and need to shed some of it. Has anyone found that removing the ssg centre plate affect the handling ?

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hex screws dont strip as easily as a phillips head does! Thats crazy. I've only stripped one or two hex screws in my R/C experience(bout 4-5years now) and that was a teenee 1mm hex trying to put it into losi graphite with a sucky L wrench. After buying a quality set of hex tools, I've never had a problem.

Also, Tamiya plastic doesn't break as easily as other manufacturers. You should see what I've been doing with my DF-02 at the track.
In fact, the only part thats broken on my evo3 was a left hub carrier, and that was cuz I lent the car to my friend who put it into a corner right on the wheel at full throttle...the arm didn't even bend, no other parts were twisted or broken. I'd take Tamiya over anything else.

I wish Tamiya would make a 1/8 scale buggy.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:26 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Aluma
I wish Tamiya would make a 1/8 scale buggy.
Oh yes they do and did ! ......but they choosed to power it with a teeny weeny 15 ! ....in true Tamiya style, they dun follow the trend, they create it !
Old 07-17-2005, 10:35 PM
Tech Regular

hey guys,

I just got a TB02, and I'm stoked!!! This thing should run better for club racing and TCS than my TT01 did
Old 07-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Phenochilus
Now that the tb-02r front & rear brace sets are available seperately, does anyone know how much weight savings can be gained by installing these on a tb-02 ?

I'm finding that this chassis is about 100 grams over weight and need to shed some of it. Has anyone found that removing the ssg centre plate affect the handling ?

Thanks.
I've got them installed and the front chassis brace needs part A6 from your original tb-02 kit parts.

I don't think they are any lighter than their plastic ones as there are additional alloy mounting parts but I guess the carbon doesn't flex as much as the plastic so it may help in that area.

They also make removing the motor and pinion gear a lot easier as there is no more spur gear cover and 8 screws.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:12 AM
Tech Adept

Default Swing shaft question

Hi,

Has anyone tried running the blue, Tamiya LW aluminum swing shafts on the front of their TB-02, in conjunction with a functioning, non-locked differential (e.g. not a spool or one-way)? I know the steel shafts are the only way to handle the impact caused by a one-way, but I'm wondering if they could cope with the kinder, gentler loads from a diff? I've been running the aluminum shafts on the back for a while now and they've held up fine (knock on wood). The extra set of aluminum shafts I have in my parts box are screaming "Put me in coach! I can do it!" I'd only be running them with a 540 silver can motor, nothing more powerful. Also, if it matters, I'm talking about the 42mm shafts for the standard suspension. Thanks.

Andy
Old 07-29-2005, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The blue aluminum swing shaft should cope well with the silver cans even with a one-way; helps keep the rotating mass light too which is key to this class of racing! Although I strongly recommend not using it when using a much faster motor (27 deg stock to mod.). I've seen people bend these things and even break them in half when using higher rpm motors.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What eeyan said. It's risky and if you've got the extra moola and looking for ultimate weight savings and performance from reduced rotating mass, I'd say go for it. In the past, I've run aluminum front bones with spools in mod at couple of big races...however an on-power hit will definately bend them. Hmmm...eeyan, would you think the past chumps race would justify me putting in some aluminum bones? hehe
Old 07-29-2005, 11:29 AM
Tech Adept

Alright!

A genuine TAOB response! I was actually thinking of posting my question in the TAOB thread, since you guys have apparently tried every possible combination of hop ups for every Tamiya car ever made. I'm going for the crash diet in GT-3 for Sunday's TCS race. Thanks for the info.

Andy
Old 07-29-2005, 11:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rtypec
Hmmm...eeyan, would you think the past chumps race would justify me putting in some aluminum bones? hehe
Good idea... just make sure you tap the boards(outside barriers) once in a while... it'll help my goal of not finishing last... jas kidding...

Wrong thread, but I'm excited running 23t in the TA05! Did Fred confirm the chumps rules already?
Old 07-29-2005, 11:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Reversible suspension

Hi fellow TB-02ers

What's the advantage of the reversible part of the reversible suspension? I understand that the whole set makes your suspension lighter etc, but why would you want to be able to reverse the lower arm?

TIA
Fred
Old 07-29-2005, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

The reversible suspension itself have two sets of holes... one side has 2 holes and the other side, 3 holes. By reversing the suspension, you can actually achieve different angle settings for the damper location (you can either use the 3 hole side or the two hole side).
Old 07-29-2005, 11:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Ahhh, ok, that explains it
Thanx for the quick reply eeyan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.