R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-26-2004, 04:22 PM   #631
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to fabolousRC Send a message via Yahoo to fabolousRC

that's why Tamiya sold the aluminum shaft so cheap...They knew that it was the first one to go if someone wants to go racing with it. The ball bearings kit is next so does the camberlink and the aluminum steering completes it. Imagine how many upgrade kits that you have to spend on TL01 to make it competitive? Tons of money. I figured the amount of money for you to spend on somethings that are available on Tamiya catalogue and the ones that weren't, you'd better off buying the next car up which is at the time were either TA03s series or the newer TA04 series.

The TT01s are a whole lot better keeping its owners on the verge of the next level up until the last edge where the car is no longer suited to their needs. By then, you are ready to upgrade to either TB02 or TC3s or XXX-S or yokomos.

TT01s also have a lot better balance and lower center of gravity compared to TL01s plus you'll be in better position (better transition) to switch to the more professional type of RC cars than say TL01 because with the TL, you need to re-learn how to drive a new car with all the disimilarities the TL01 have in their trait compared to most others in the market.

Lex Tyler Paints \ Norcal Hobbies \ Bay Area Peninsula R/C Club
fabolousRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 04:32 PM   #632
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to fabolousRC Send a message via Yahoo to fabolousRC

Quote:
Originally posted by psycho
I like the idea of having a "rookie class" like the TL01 Spec. It's a great venue for kids and new racers to have the chance to compete in a regional event, and not have to spend thousands of dollars to be competitive. I would be against changing the rules on that class. If anything, I think drivers should be required to demonstrate their lack of experience to be able to participate, or at least prohibit them from racing another class. It's so easy to sandbag and win that class if you are a moderately experienced racer and unfortunately, I have seen it done before. Actually, I'm not sure what the satisfaction is to beat a bunch of 7 year old kids and first time racers when you have been racing for a couple years, but I guess there must be some attraction to it since people continue to be allowed to race the class that shouldn't be.
And here is the new twist...Tamiya has included Competition ready ESC in their RTRs and kits to accomodate that program. It's not the greatest in the whole world but it is enough that someone can be somewhat competitive and learn the right learning curve in order for them to succeed.

If they are successful, and I think they will, I see all of other manufacturers to follow suit having a cheap (there is no affordable ones here) ESC to be included into their kit cars for the newer waves of RC enthusiats to run their cars competitively. Remember, there were a lot of RTR that comes with ESCs already but most of them are forward and reverse that are made for BASHING not RACING. On the touring side, Tamiya is ahead of the game at this moment. On the offroad side, Duratrax has include their 12T reverse ESCs on their ARR Pro models into their lineup. I wonder who's going to be next.....

Lex Tyler Paints \ Norcal Hobbies \ Bay Area Peninsula R/C Club
fabolousRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 09:28 PM   #633
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default TCS

So did a TB-02 win in GT2 or GT3 today?

davesrctracks.net
tomdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 12:40 AM   #634
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to eeyan Send a message via Yahoo to eeyan

Hi guys... my TB-02 did pretty well today at TCS. I tq'ed GT2 and was the only car to make 18 laps in the class. I was already TQ the first round but beat my own TQ by about 6 sec in the 2nd round. I'm really impressed, the chassis was HOOKED. But... unfortunately, I had a crucial tire choice mistake during the mains and ended up in 2nd. Caught the 1st corner too early and my car jumped on the opposite side. I could've went on, but figured for sportsmanships sake to let the first two cars pass... I think I lost it right there... but overall a VERY GOOD day for the TB-02... 4 TAOB guys in the A-Main ran 02s.

GT3... I TQ'ed and won the class with my 4 yr old TA04...
Old 06-28-2004, 01:06 AM   #635
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default tq

Good job on the tq. Did you run the oneway? Any setups

davesrctracks.net
tomdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 06:16 AM   #636
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Cool. My TB-02 runs great in GT2. Handles really well and is alot more efficient than my 03 I always ran. Its funny because when I run my TB-02 at the TCS races in GT2 I'm the only non 04 car in the field. It was even funnier when I ran my 03 and was in the A because the 04 drivers felt bad when I would beat them down with it. I need to get my 02 ready for our TCS race in end of July.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 09:38 AM   #637
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

@ the Canadian TCS in Vancouver.

GT1 TB02
EVO

GT2/3 TB02
Ta04
TB02

In GT2 they run the Sport Tuned motor and GT3 does not exist.

Tom you should have come up with Todd he was 2nd in GT2. The guys @ Overgeared put on a great event.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:56 AM   #638
wyd
Tech Legend

I think the 3 worst things about the TB-02 are: They are heavy, limited gearing options, and cost vs a decked out 04 TRF.

I didn't mind spending some money on hopups to be different. Just didn't want to run an 04 or my 03 anymore. I'm keeping the 03 cleaned up just to have as one of my favorite cars of all time from any company. I have the 03R-S TRF type version.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:43 AM   #639
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

hey guys... id have to agree with eeyan..

i had my TB-02 for TCS yesterday. qualified 3rd... my first qualifier i only did 14 laps... i corrected the set up issue, second qualifier i did 17 laps in 5:06 i think. second place did 17 laps 5:04.. so the car is very fast!

in the main... qualified 3rd, and during the main was sitting in third with about 1:30 to go when my motor exploded. oh well.

made the wrong tire choice too... the car runs great! mine is actually a surikarn evoIII with a TUB! its for sale now too!

check it out. http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=43827

great car... but the limited gearing is hurting. i wanted my car at 7.2 or 7.3...... but was stuck with the 7.1x ratio. and 7.5x is too slow for my driving style.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 11:01 AM   #640
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

hey guys...what was the wrong tire exactly? are you running B's or B2's? or maybe A's? thanks for the info....

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 11:13 AM   #641
wyd
Tech Legend

I tried all the Tamiya tires, B's, B2's and A's and I'm always dialed in withe A's no matter what the weather condidtion is like. Hot or cold the A's just plain work for me.

I'm lucky as the gearing for what I need is good with what is provided in the kit. I'm running stock box gearing and pinion.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:14 AM   #642
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by tamiyadriver
hey guys...what was the wrong tire exactly? are you running B's or B2's? or maybe A's? thanks for the info....
A's

wyd.. wanna buy some one run A's???!

those tires was half the equation that eventually cost me a medal.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 11:17 AM   #643
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

i would think that the A's might get a little overheated on a summer day. maybe not tho... i have never ran them, but i do have a couple sets to try. i am headed to the race in Memphis, and im sure it will be a bit toasty in July!

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 12:04 PM   #644
wyd
Tech Legend

The track I run on is fairly flowing so even if my A's go away I'm still ok. My A's at our indoor asphalt track normally last me with no drop off in performance for 5 to 7 runs in the GT2 class. In Gt3 they last like for weeks.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:10 PM   #645
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack

Quote:
Originally posted by eeyan
Hi guys... my TB-02 did pretty well today at TCS. I tq'ed GT2 and was the only car to make 18 laps in the class. I was already TQ the first round but beat my own TQ by about 6 sec in the 2nd round. I'm really impressed, the chassis was HOOKED. But... unfortunately, I had a crucial tire choice mistake during the mains and ended up in 2nd. Caught the 1st corner too early and my car jumped on the opposite side. I could've went on, but figured for sportsmanships sake to let the first two cars pass... I think I lost it right there... but overall a VERY GOOD day for the TB-02... 4 TAOB guys in the A-Main ran 02s.

GT3... I TQ'ed and won the class with my 4 yr old TA04...
Nice drive eeyan
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote