R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2010, 12:42 PM   #2131
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 891
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwanaB View Post
Starting off I am not all that familiar with Tamiya on road cars. My buddy was given a TB-02 subaru and he is trying go VTA racing with this chassis. Its brand new, and to me it looks very similar in design to a Assoc. tc3-4 and should work fine but the first problem we are running into is gearing. We want to run a brushless motor and at our local track im seeing various cars with a FINAL drive ratio ranging from 3.8-3.3 when running 1cell lipo & 17.5 brushless. Unless im reading the manual wrong the closest we can get is 5.72 or around that. I have seen a TB-02 to TB-03 conversion kit for 90 bucks is this what im looking for? It looks like the motor mount in that kit is the slideing adjust type. Can i switch to 64 pitch gearing with that? Can this car be converted with out spending a fortune? Ive seen the 415 cars and they look bad a-- but $400+ is not an option right now. Thanks for any help.
pick up a ta05. 150$ kit, belt drive, better adjustability, fits 64pitch gears no problem, will be TCS legal, tank of a car.

my friend drives it like an off road car at my track hopping over the sidewalls (pvc pipe cut in half) and it still holds together. what a great driver
Double D Donuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #2132
Tech Fanatic
 
tiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 944
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tiko
Default

Hey guys I have 3 brand new TB-02 chassis's and a ton of brand new part. If anyone is interested check out this link thanks http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...escs-cars.html
__________________
LionArtPrints - Custom Apparel, Hats, PitMats, RC Car Bags, and More
LionArtPrints - On Facebook
tiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #2133
Tech Addict
 
westerdude42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bellevue Wa.
Posts: 637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwanaB View Post
Starting off I am not all that familiar with Tamiya on road cars. My buddy was given a TB-02 subaru and he is trying go VTA racing with this chassis. Its brand new, and to me it looks very similar in design to a Assoc. tc3-4 and should work fine but the first problem we are running into is gearing. We want to run a brushless motor and at our local track im seeing various cars with a FINAL drive ratio ranging from 3.8-3.3 when running 1cell lipo & 17.5 brushless. Unless im reading the manual wrong the closest we can get is 5.72 or around that. I have seen a TB-02 to TB-03 conversion kit for 90 bucks is this what im looking for? It looks like the motor mount in that kit is the slideing adjust type. Can i switch to 64 pitch gearing with that? Can this car be converted with out spending a fortune? Ive seen the 415 cars and they look bad a-- but $400+ is not an option right now. Thanks for any help.
We always just cut the plastic motor mount so it was adjustable and ran 64 pitch. It's not hard and it works fine. We also modified and custom fit the Evo 3 aluminum mount.
__________________
Hedgehogs rule!!!
westerdude42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #2134
Tech Initiate
 
tsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Mississauga ON, Canada
Posts: 41
Default TB-02 64pitch

I picked up a TB02 the other day, and converted it to run 64dp spurs/pinions last night. Cost about $20/$25 to convert it over. FDR is now approx 4.3.

http://www.tsanrc.com/2011/06/tamiya...-gear-mod.html

Hope this helps any one who wants to convert theirs, too!
__________________
Tim Sanderson / tsanrc.com / I ♥ KYOSHO
tsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #2135
Tech Champion
 
SteveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 6,304
Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsan View Post
I picked up a TB02 the other day, and converted it to run 64dp spurs/pinions last night. Cost about $20/$25 to convert it over. FDR is now approx 4.3.

http://www.tsanrc.com/2011/06/tamiya...-gear-mod.html

Hope this helps any one who wants to convert theirs, too!
Does anyone know if there is an alloy spur gear adapter to fit the TB-02 shaft? I have the M parts on order, but I'd prefer an aluminum adapter over a plastic one.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #2136
Tech Champion
 
SteveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 6,304
Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by westerdude42 View Post
We always just cut the plastic motor mount so it was adjustable and ran 64 pitch. It's not hard and it works fine. We also modified and custom fit the Evo 3 aluminum mount.
The TB-03 alloy spur adapter will not fit onto the TB-02 shaft unless it's drilled out properly. At $30 a pop I'm reluctant to do a DIY mod.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #2137
Tech Regular
 
fresnojay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Clovis CA
Posts: 299
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Ok so I thought I would chime in here to see if there are any out there like me still running this chassis. I run this chassis locally in GT3 class and we run silver can and 21.5 in this class. I have managed to modify a TB03 alloy gear adaptor for use in the TB02. So getting my gear ratio where I want it is not much of a issue.

So on to my question for those that are still running this beast. What ratio's are you running or can you recommend? I am currently running a Team Powers Plutonium 21.5.

Thanks in advance,
Jason
__________________
Tamiya TB-02, Tamiya M-05 V2 Pro, Tamiya TA-05, Tamiya F103,
fresnojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #2138
Tech Champion
 
SteveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 6,304
Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnojay View Post
Ok so I thought I would chime in here to see if there are any out there like me still running this chassis. I run this chassis locally in GT3 class and we run silver can and 21.5 in this class. I have managed to modify a TB03 alloy gear adaptor for use in the TB02. So getting my gear ratio where I want it is not much of a issue.

So on to my question for those that are still running this beast. What ratio's are you running or can you recommend? I am currently running a Team Powers Plutonium 21.5.

Thanks in advance,
Jason
I still run a TB-02R from time to time in GT2 (17.5 blinky) locally. I also added a spur adapter but used the plastic one that comes in the kit that they tell you isn't used in the manual. Zero modification required and free as well.

For GT2, I start with around a 4.00 FDR and adjust from there depending on track size and design.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #2139
Tech Regular
 
fresnojay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Clovis CA
Posts: 299
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

SteveM, thanks for the info. Will keep that in mind if I take the car to GT2. I got the car second hand so that part was not included. I do however have a M parts tree on its way to me thanks to a user on a another forum. The Alloy one I have works ok but think the actual one would allow for less headaches when changing pinions.

Jason
__________________
Tamiya TB-02, Tamiya M-05 V2 Pro, Tamiya TA-05, Tamiya F103,
fresnojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #2140
Tech Champion
 
SteveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 6,304
Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)
Default

I'm also using the Yeah Racing blue alloy motor mount as it allows for additional motor positions.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #2141
Tech Regular
 
fresnojay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Clovis CA
Posts: 299
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Ok guys. I am interested in trying to locate a Graphite chassis for my TB02. In its tub configuration it just cant compete with the rest of the field as they all run carbon deck style chassis. Before I have to sit out a series to get a new car going is there any hope? Could the 3Racing TB03 one be made to work?

Jason
__________________
Tamiya TB-02, Tamiya M-05 V2 Pro, Tamiya TA-05, Tamiya F103,
fresnojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #2142
Tech Master
 
f1larry's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
Posts: 1,785
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to f1larry
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnojay View Post
Ok guys. I am interested in trying to locate a Graphite chassis for my TB02. In its tub configuration it just cant compete with the rest of the field as they all run carbon deck style chassis. Before I have to sit out a series to get a new car going is there any hope? Could the 3Racing TB03 one be made to work?

Jason
Look around for a TB evolution III surikarn edition. Everything from the tb02 will convert over with a few exceptions ( mainly the steering rack and motor mount)
__________________
Windy City RC Raceway & Hobbies, Arlington Heights, IL
Exotek F1R3|X-Ray T4 16|CRC WC-Xti|TT02|TA05|TL01|
f1larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #2143
Tech Regular
 
fresnojay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Clovis CA
Posts: 299
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Well I found a couple Surikarn kits on Ebay. Didn't realize they were made of gold or its just that the Sellers think they are. For what they want I could buy 2 modern TC's with all the extras. Oh well thanks for the info though.

Jason
__________________
Tamiya TB-02, Tamiya M-05 V2 Pro, Tamiya TA-05, Tamiya F103,
fresnojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #2144
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,104
Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)
Default

you don,t need the sukiran kit, just the tb evolution iii will do, I believe there is one on ebay for sale
zaraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:39 AM   #2145
Tech Master
 
f1larry's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
Posts: 1,785
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to f1larry
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaraz View Post
you don,t need the sukiran kit, just the tb evolution iii will do, I believe there is one on ebay for sale
True, it has been so long since I had my TB Evo III that I forgot there was a non Surikarn version. I liked that one better anyway no red parts.
__________________
Windy City RC Raceway & Hobbies, Arlington Heights, IL
Exotek F1R3|X-Ray T4 16|CRC WC-Xti|TT02|TA05|TL01|
f1larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Selling Schumacher Mi2, Tamiya M02, Tamiya TA04-S, Tamiya TB Evolution 3 Surikarn Ltd st_rob Australia For Sale/Trade 4 12-23-2008 07:37 PM
Tamiya 415 MSX, legacy 2.0, NIP Type A tires, Tamiya towel for sale or trade Fastburn R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 16 09-06-2008 12:45 AM
FS: Tekin Rebel 2 ESC w/ Tamiya GT Tuned Motor & Tamiya AM Radio & Receiver wrxnfx R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 06-10-2008 06:40 PM
Tamiya M03 / Trinity Brushes / Muchmore Battery Cooler / Tamiya M Chassis Wheels bluejays R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 12-16-2007 09:31 PM
Hpi rs4, tamiya tt01, tamiya tg-10, tamiya sprint! MORE!!!!! Genuinekid R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 10 09-10-2007 04:21 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:32 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net