R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-12-2007, 09:31 PM   #1831
Tech Rookie

i live just outside of chicago. i am just trying to find a track for asphalt track and a carpet track. i have been to trackside and i go there sometimes but i am just tying to find a asphalt track for the summer. anyone know where there is one close to Chicago?

CJ
TB02Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:55 AM   #1832
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Convert Evo 3 back to a TB-02???

Hi guys,

I got an used EVO3 with all the blue stuffs, TRF shocks, rev. arms, full CVD etc.. at a good bargain price (slightly more than USD100). Except that the somehow the carbon graphite chassis got damaged by the previous owner.

Will it be a good choice for me to get a new TB-02 and transplant all the EVO 3 parts over than to get a new EVO 3 carbon graphite chassis instead?

Advice anyone???

Appreciated
pole_position is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:50 AM   #1833
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pole_position
Hi guys,

I got an used EVO3 with all the blue stuffs, TRF shocks, rev. arms, full CVD etc.. at a good bargain price (slightly more than USD100). Except that the somehow the carbon graphite chassis got damaged by the previous owner.

Will it be a good choice for me to get a new TB-02 and transplant all the EVO 3 parts over than to get a new EVO 3 carbon graphite chassis instead?

Advice anyone???

Appreciated
I have a 3 mill almost in new condition lower chassis. I will sell. I also have a 2 mill thats is flat, but has scratches. I also have 1 square gear case in chrome. And the square center post that are in red.( these items help alot). I have so many extra diff gears and maybe oneway gears for it. It also has the surikarn shock towers and aluminum camber link connectors.
I stripped the car. Like the camber links and the suspension. So, if you have those items , your evo would look nearly new with my parts. Not, sure where you live, but I will ship everything I got for $70.00 USD. I can email you pics if you post your email.
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:33 AM   #1834
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
I have a 3 mill almost in new condition lower chassis. I will sell. I also have a 2 mill thats is flat, but has scratches. I also have 1 square gear case in chrome. And the square center post that are in red.( these items help alot). I have so many extra diff gears and maybe oneway gears for it. It also has the surikarn shock towers and aluminum camber link connectors.
I stripped the car. Like the camber links and the suspension. So, if you have those items , your evo would look nearly new with my parts. Not, sure where you live, but I will ship everything I got for $70.00 USD. I can email you pics if you post your email.
Thanks for offering. however i am currently staying outside US and with a little top up to USD70 can get to buy a new TB02
pole_position is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:47 AM   #1835
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pole_position
Thanks for offering. however i am currently staying outside US and with a little top up to USD70 can get to buy a new TB02
honestly, TB02 are junk. Only buy the TB02-r version, or it's just not worth it.
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:24 AM   #1836
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

I'd go for an Evo3 chassis. It should be lighter than the plastic tub TB-02 chassis, and (with the Evo3 motor mount) you'll have easier access to the pinion gear and unlimited gearing options. The TB-02 chassis encloses the pinion gear so you need to remove 6 screws on top, then remove the motor mount with 2 more screws on the bottom. In my mind, that's the biggest disadvantage of the TB-02 chassis - it requires you to remove 8 screws (actually 10, because you them need to move the motor to different motor mount holes) to change a pinion gear.
Hawk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:25 AM   #1837
Tech Addict

I disagree regarding TB-02 being junk.
I raced a TB-02 with much success, the only problem is the fixed hole positions on the motor mount and the changing of the spur gears.
The gear ratio's I need for the two tracks I raced on required constant changing of the spur. I also dremilled the motor mount, which helped a little.

I think for the dollars your thinking of spending a new TB-02 with EvoIII hop ups would work very well.

My TB-02 ended up with many EvoIII parts on it and I only moved on to the EvoIV because somebody I knew was selling a near new EvoIV cheap.
waOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:15 AM   #1838
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

funny how one mans junk is another mans treasure. To me, the 02's sealed spur is a blessing... it never just never fails. I cant count the number of times I've seen people sidelined due to a rock in the spur gear...its happened to me a bunch of times...going full out, turn, wheels lockup for no reason, hit wall, hear GRRRRRR after you recover..take off body, need new spur and pinion. :P
Especially with those 64pitch gears...dang...rock magnets. I have the 02R with the stock cover on it. Drifting down any gravel ridden street is not a problem.

But I do have to agree with Juan,... TB02R. not normal one....evo3 is better of course, but its not sealed...so if you're doing carpet racing evo would be better. But if you intend to race on the street/parking lots, you just cant beat the sealed tranny. even the belt guys have problems, ever seen what a little pebble can do to a belt pulley?
Aluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:30 PM   #1839
Tech Addict

I race my TB-02 in stock rubber at Trackside(and GT-2 for TCS). This is my favorite TC I have ever raced. It handles great and the fixed gear mesh is great. It is annoying taking off all the screws...but, when rushed...popping the motor in the right screw holes takes no thought. For the money...my car is keeping up with the best of them...it's my driving that needs some tweaking .
Old 04-13-2007, 01:48 PM   #1840
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Agreed on the advantage of a sealed tranny. I plan to use a TB-02 for my son's rally car for Trackside.

So, the advantage of the TB-02 is a sealed tranny. The disadvantage of the TB-02 is the sealed tranny (8 screws to remove to adjust pinion).

I really like the handling of the TB-02 as well.
Hawk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:14 PM   #1841
Tech Addict

My friend made his TB-02 into "R" status and beyond...and that rear CF plate makes it so you take the motor out in two screws underneath. But, you lose the outdoor pebble free cover(doesn't matter for carpet though).
Old 04-13-2007, 10:02 PM   #1842
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to ford_racing

Sealed spur / pinion is great, no need to worry about anything. I have my 02, pretty much stock but a couple of mates have EVO3's so when TCS comes around I have one of the reddest TB02's. Everything that can be changed is changed. Unfortunately the car weighs in at almost 1600g with all the EVO gear fitted
ford_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:26 AM   #1843
Tech Fanatic

Hey guys, had a race last saturday...car was doing great but had this weird little habit. What do y'all make of it? Lets say a switchback is coming up...I let go of the throttle, turn in, rear end starts sliding, stops abruptly halfway thru the turn, then starts sliding again, then stops sliding when I punch the throttle. I'm still running Juan Aveyta's setup...Its really good now that I rebuilt the diffs...I've even had to reduce steering throw to 75%! Turns in really well, holds the line on power, rotates like crazy offpower. I did have to lay down the rear shocks to the 2nd hole and go silver front/blue rear springs cuz it just kept spinning out before.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:47 PM   #1844
Tech Rookie

i took my evoIII and turned it into a TB02
TB02Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:18 AM   #1845
Tech Fanatic

another race, another loss. track was damp and spun out a few times, then a rock got jammed between the shaft and the chassis...I now have a milled shaft...at least its lighter. Took me 5 laps worth of time to get it out.