Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TB-02

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 07:37 AM
Tech Regular

I used to race the tbo2,
use the evo 3 parts, the evo 4 will not fit.

You may want to invest in a TA05 I cannot count on how many diffs I went thru while racing this car. I think it was one or two a race.

good luck with your 02

wn
Old 01-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

The Evo IV spool will probably fit in your 02. My friend used the Evo IV outdrives on his TB02R which I believe are the same as the Evo III outdrives.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:34 AM
Tech Addict

TB02, TB EvoIII and EB EvoIV all use same outdrives.

The EvoIII and the TB02 use the same ring gears.
But I don't think they released a spool for the EvoIII.

The EvoIV use differant ring gears (they changed the internal ratio on the EvoIV) so I'm not sure if that will work.

I would suggest posting your question on the EvoIV or EvoV thread because a lot of the guys who have those cars started with TB02s (just like me) and someone their should be able to give you a definate answer.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by waOscar
TB02, TB EvoIII and EB EvoIV all use same outdrives.

The EvoIII and the TB02 use the same ring gears.
But I don't think they released a spool for the EvoIII.

The EvoIV use differant ring gears (they changed the internal ratio on the EvoIV) so I'm not sure if that will work.

I would suggest posting your question on the EvoIV or EvoV thread because a lot of the guys who have those cars started with TB02s (just like me) and someone their should be able to give you a definate answer.
Tamiya only changed the bevel gear in the Evo IV. The diff gears are the same tooth count and pitch. The Evo IV ball diff gear and the entire front one-way unit will fit a TB-02. It would make sense the spool would fit also. I put Evo IV ball diff gears on my old TB-02 and haven't stripped a gear since. They are much thicker than the stock Evo III gears, so they are less prone to flexing.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:44 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nagatahawk
I used to race the tbo2,
use the evo 3 parts, the evo 4 will not fit.

You may want to invest in a TA05 I cannot count on how many diffs I went thru while racing this car. I think it was one or two a race.

good luck with your 02

wn
The diffs work fine if you build them well and use shims to fine tune the fitting.
I raced a TB02 for 12 months and only damaged diff gears from very high speed head on collisions. I have a EvoIV now and i've read many complaints about bevel gear problems but again I haven't had any problems myself.

I still agree with you about the TA05. Excellent car for the price and with the right guy behind the wheel very capable of matching it with the top cars of any make. I run a TA05 for my daughter, our clubs top driver used it last week in stock and gave us a caning.

TB02 is a very capable car, if you are racing it, keep using it untill your consistancy is regularly around the 0.5 or below. Then its time to look for a new car.

Enjoy
Old 01-19-2007, 12:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by waOscar

You are correct about the internal ratio but the ring gear is the same. It is the bevel pinion that has a different number of teeth.

Evo III/TB02 15T; EvoIV 17T; Evo 5 16T. Ring gear 39T.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Thank you all for your replies. About the gear stripping, It has happened once. I love the driveabilty of the car so much more than the the others I have to live with it. Replacing the gear boxes every 4-5 months is something I did with MY TA02, and something I do with this kit also. Cheers Amigos!!!

JUJUBEAN
Old 01-23-2007, 06:04 PM
MDL
Tech Adept

Hey guys,

Quick question, i broke the C-hub carrier on the front of my TB02

what one would be better?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Tamiya-50985-...QQcmdZViewItem

Or

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Yeah-Racing-A...QQcmdZViewItem

Or any other from that site?

MDL
Old 01-23-2007, 07:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default tb02

If anyone is interested I have a bag full of hopups for this car. I no longer have the car, so the hopups, which were just installed, are for sale.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default tbo2

Sorry for posting here...
Old 01-24-2007, 02:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MDL
Hey guys,

Quick question, i broke the C-hub carrier on the front of my TB02

what one would be better?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Tamiya-50985-...QQcmdZViewItem

Or

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Yeah-Racing-A...QQcmdZViewItem

Or any other from that site?

MDL
The first one will work, but you will have to replace both left and right as there is some caster angle on there, 4 isn't much, it will help pull your car straight out of corners. The second one I believe will fit but I'm not cartain.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

my car is on crack! I raced this weekend and the first qual it was spinning out due to rocks getting stuck between the diff and inner camber mount.(shaved the mounts down) 2nd qual. car was pushing a bit too much, so I switched to blue front silver rear with top of shock all way out, from yellow yellow on first qual. 3rd qual, still pushing so switched to blue rear, silver front, with rear shock on outside hole on arm.(made it much harder) Actual race...Car pushed sooo bad, had to almost stop at each corner to turn! COuld swear that if the rear is harder it would oversteer, but it just planted the rear end! I was using assoc. springs, blue is harder than silver.

Did I miss something? why is it doing that?
Old 02-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Aluma
my car is on crack! I raced this weekend and the first qual it was spinning out due to rocks getting stuck between the diff and inner camber mount.(shaved the mounts down) 2nd qual. car was pushing a bit too much, so I switched to blue front silver rear with top of shock all way out, from yellow yellow on first qual. 3rd qual, still pushing so switched to blue rear, silver front, with rear shock on outside hole on arm.(made it much harder) Actual race...Car pushed sooo bad, had to almost stop at each corner to turn! COuld swear that if the rear is harder it would oversteer, but it just planted the rear end! I was using assoc. springs, blue is harder than silver.

What type of surface?
I would go back to box stock settings. or a Tamiya yellow front and a Tamiya blue rear.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Aluma

Run tamiya yellows all the way around and a yellow sway bar up front. Run a one-way if possible. 40wt oil up front and 30wt in the rear. Longest camber links. Shocks all the way out. 2 degrees of up travel front and rear. ride height at 5mm. and 1.5 to 2 degree's of negative camber. Front toe even. You should be dialed. Evo series and TB series cars a very stable, so run between 1 and 2 degree's of rear toe. If you like associated springs, run silvers all the way around.
It's sounds like your racing in parking lot style tracks. Try not saucing your tires. Just clean them after each run.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

wow, now that's what I'm talking bout! Thanks Juan! Do you mean having 2 mm of up travel? Like the little droop screw 2mm out of the arm? Also is this assuming I have the LWT suspension?

Yup, parking lot racing...well, its a dedicated track, but conditions are so bad, that'd it'd pretty much be an OOOLLLLDDD cracked, rutty, pebbly, parking lot that you'd find in an abandoned lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.