Old 11-29-2005, 06:10 PM   #1576
Tech Addict

Good luck at your TCS !

See ya at the TA05 thread later !
Ghostfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 07:25 PM   #1577
Tech Regular

Hi guys,

I was running my TB-02 with the Peak Racing Dynasty 19T motor with 22T pinion and 55T spur. Is that a bad combination? Is it overgeared?
trf_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:19 PM   #1578
Tech Addict

That depends on whether you're running on a large oval or not.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:01 PM   #1579
Tech Regular

I was running in a tight indoor track. The motor was HOT and sometimes the throttle does not work and one guy came to me and said the brush hang and that I put too much load on to the motor.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:29 PM   #1580
Tech Addict

Try a 19 and a 61. Work your way up from there.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:36 AM   #1581

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

just bought a NIB tb02 for 100bux. not knowin the '05 was on sale @ speedtech for 125bux (outta stock right now, but i wasnt in a rush to begin with-but what i thought was a great deal came around and i took it). do i resell the tb02 NIB and get a ta05 or should i stick w/it for now.

veteran r/c, just started doin onroad for 1st time in 10yrs racing in spec class (tt01s). didnt feel like a tt01 w/stock motor and correct tires was worth the investment in money to be near competant. tight indoor asphalt track w/hard pipes. leary of belts despite people reassurin me on how good the car is.

what should i do?

thx

-ult
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 04:48 PM   #1582
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultegrasti
just bought a NIB tb02 for 100bux. not knowin the '05 was on sale @ speedtech for 125bux (outta stock right now, but i wasnt in a rush to begin with-but what i thought was a great deal came around and i took it). do i resell the tb02 NIB and get a ta05 or should i stick w/it for now.

veteran r/c, just started doin onroad for 1st time in 10yrs racing in spec class (tt01s). didnt feel like a tt01 w/stock motor and correct tires was worth the investment in money to be near competant. tight indoor asphalt track w/hard pipes. leary of belts despite people reassurin me on how good the car is.

what should i do?

thx

-ult
TB-02 is a good car if you know how to set it up well. It's a bit on the heavy side when everything is mounted so you may need look at things to shed weight. Watch out with over tightening the diff screws as they can break really easy. With the fixed holes motor mount, you'll notice that it isn't as flexible in terms of gearing particularly if you intend on racing with the silver can motor. Changing spur gears is a real hassle. You need to remove the spur gear cover - 6 screws, and the rear gear box cover 3 screws. Also, you need to shim the slop out of the wheels with 5mm shims.

It's also getting a bit old now... whereas the ta05 is quite popular.
Phenochilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:37 PM   #1583
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by trf_racer
I was running in a tight indoor track. The motor was HOT and sometimes the throttle does not work and one guy came to me and said the brush hang and that I put too much load on to the motor.
tune the motor.with a liter spring and drop a gear.biger gears arnt all ways faster.play with the gear rashal.me i run a58 and the lowist pinon on the chart.
Numskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:54 PM   #1584
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numskull
tune the motor.with a liter spring and drop a gear.biger gears arnt all ways faster.play with the gear rashal.me i run a58 and the lowist pinon on the chart.
Ok, thanks. I will try that when I go to the track next time.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:57 AM   #1585
Tech Addict

Smile

Regarding changing SPUR GEARS.
Remove gear cover, 6 screws.
Remove screws securing rear gear box to chasis, 4 screws.
Lift up rear diff housing (leave all suspension fixed) and
move slightly reward and you can lift out main shaft and spur gear.
Still got plenty of time to cut comm, re groove brushes all before the next race.
waOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:05 PM   #1586
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I have now purchased a TB02 for my son and am looking forward to building over Christmas. I have ordered the Aluminium mount, the racing steering, the sway bars and the TB02R propeller shaft.

Before we start assembling I was hoping to get some guidance on the things to look out for or do whilst building the kit, such as:

Washing out the stock bearings - is there a preferred method?

Shimming - where and how?

Testing the drivetrain - what is the best way to work out whether it is free and true?

And any other help in building would be much appreciated. Additional hop ups and tuning for the track will come later when we have more of a clue as to what is going on.
Teehomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:16 PM   #1587
Tech Regular

You don't need to wash out the ball bearings. Only wash it out when it becomes dirty and then lube it with lightweight oil.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:01 PM   #1588
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teehomo
I have now purchased a TB02 for my son and am looking forward to building over Christmas. I have ordered the Aluminium mount, the racing steering, the sway bars and the TB02R propeller shaft.

Before we start assembling I was hoping to get some guidance on the things to look out for or do whilst building the kit, such as:

Washing out the stock bearings - is there a preferred method?

Shimming - where and how?

Testing the drivetrain - what is the best way to work out whether it is free and true?

And any other help in building would be much appreciated. Additional hop ups and tuning for the track will come later when we have more of a clue as to what is going on.
search back 4-5 pages. i posted the part number for the newest shaft for the TB-02. its 4mm longer than the original evoIII shaft and the ends are thicker so it holds the bevel gear better.

bearings: open them up and blast out all the packed grease in there. if you want longer life, keep the grease in there but car wont spin as free. its personal preference

one last thing.. make sure the diff casings are NOT pinching the bearings for your one-way and/or diffs. if it is.. either sand them down or shim them so it doesnt pinch.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:19 AM   #1589
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Thanks Hebiki. I checked the part number of the shaft and it is the one you suggested (#49369).

Thanks for your other advice as well
Teehomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 03:41 PM   #1590
Tech Fanatic

Has anybody tried to weigh a tbo2 box stock against a tao5 box stock? I think my tbo2 is quite heavy not sure how much it exceeds 1500g but I also lifted a tao5 and it seems the same. I'd like to know just incase I run with some tao5's with same driving level and how much they have an advantage over me kit wise.
rayman is offline   Reply With Quote