R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-15-2003, 08:02 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default I agree!!!

As I understand, your camber goes more negative when you compress the suspension?

If so, check that the upper link is sloping from the tire side DOWN towards the chassis or is at least parallel to the lower arm. I think your proble is a result of the upper arm actually sloping down from the chassis outside towards the tires. You don't have a roll center to speak off.

Also when trying to simulate cornering "do the twist" suggested above or push down the "outside side" AND also simulate the centrifugal force by pushing the car by its side towards the "outer side" of the corner. You'll also have to apply more force on the rear end of the car to simulate cornering out on power, and apply more force on the front end to simulate entering a corner off-power.

You will notice that you would seem to be trying to force the tire from (leaning towards the chassis) to (leaning away from the chassis, resulting into positive camber). If you find that you are in fact decreasing the camber (the tire leans more towards the chassis) , try moving the chassis-side end of the upper arm DOWNWARDS until the (upper andlower arms are parallel) or (the inner end of the upper arm is lower compired to the tire-side end)

Sorry if I made it more confusing. I'm basically trying to explain some of the posts above.
rough512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 11:10 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Default Camber positions

Guys;

I have yet to see a Chassis design (On-Road) that will allow you to have the Outer Link mounting position Lower than the inside. Parallel to the lower Arm is usually as far as the positions will allow you go.

If this is indeed the case, I would suspect that the Inner point is not in a designated Camber link position and would result in very unstable handling.

Last edited by popsracer; 09-15-2003 at 03:53 PM.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 01:34 PM   #33
Tech Addict

on the inside, if I use the upper hole on the upper control arm, (which I am) both upper and lowers run about parallel. If you use the lower hole, the upper arm points up towards the outside of the car.
holycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 02:30 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Exclamation

I'll try and keep this brief and very simple, as much of the tech stuff has already been said.

The camber should change when the suspension moves through it's travel - ie you should get more negative camber (on both front and rear suspension) as the arm travels upwards.

The camber link should always be shorter than the suspension arm/wishbone. The smaller the camber link, the greater the camber change through the suspension travel. It sounds to me as if your camber links are plain too short, so as your suspension compresses, your car runs with far too much neg camber whilst conering hard. A set-up table WILL NOT HIGHLIGHT THIS. Try lengthening your camber links and moving your inner link positions in one hole on the shock tower (towards the centre of the car). This will give you less camber change but should also give your car more traction too.

Hope this helps.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 07:54 PM   #35
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Im not real confident with roll centres and there effect, but i have noticed on the xray the arms are quite parrallel, especially when compared to a TC3 etc, what would this do to the car, and what effect would i have if i raised the outside camber link position?
Old 09-22-2003, 08:09 PM   #36
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Besercoe
Im not real confident with roll centres and there effect, but i have noticed on the xray the arms are quite parrallel, especially when compared to a TC3 etc, what would this do to the car, and what effect would i have if i raised the outside camber link position?
It will make the RC sit higher and making the initial roll smaller. I really don't think the Xray needs this. So what it will do is feel aggresive at first then, depending how long the link is will detemine how much it will roll.

Coxy.
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote