R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-13-2008, 09:19 PM   #106
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
I'll bite!

13.5 with 4-cell NiHM runs along 17.5 with lipo (Stock GT)...AND...10.5 with 4-cell NiHM running along 13.5 with lipo (Super GT). No spec tire because one spec tire will not work on all surfaces. Tire specs are good for a racing program or series that knows what surfaces they will be running on.

And my CRC X-10 car is yet to hit the track yet...

Bill
it need to hit the track this weekend.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:24 PM   #107
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz_S View Post
it need to hit the track this weekend.
Tell OD that. He has it to layout and install the electronics as only he can do it.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:27 PM   #108
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
Tell OD that. He has it to layout and install the electronics as only he can do it.
that why i do mine now. OD dose it right but he way to busy working on too many stuff.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #109
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz_S View Post
that why i do mine now. OD dose it right but he way to busy working on too many stuff.
He offered...And his execution is excellent!

Is there a race this weekend that I can hound him about?

Bill

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:39 PM   #110
Tech Elite

ripon i was thinking on going but i have to wait for the reg 12.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:30 AM   #111
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Firstly...

Do what works for your club. Don't try and match somebody else's rules just to match them. Why build rules that are (as an example) the same as what is run at the "super go-fast nationals"?

If you spec something for your area that's different than everybody else's it only effects the guys in your area that go to the "big show". And that's a "maybe". Nobody else in your club cares. Their not going to the big show.

If you can afford to go to the big show, you can afford to buy a few different sets of tires and perhaps a class legal motor.

Don't worry about anybody else. Do what you think is right for your club.

I'll interject that if you're club is on the fence about an item to use, choose the item that makes the cars slower, and you'll be just fine. Then think about the next step even less powerful than that, and you'll be even better off.

If you can get the WGT car to be slower than 1/12th stock you're on the right path. If you feel that's to slow (relative term)... you may need to find another class. It's about the quality of the racing, not the speed of it.

Cars that are controllable make for better races. Cars that are controllable will eventually find themselves driven by racers that are actually "on the line". These racers are not simply hanging-on and trying not to slap the wall coming onto the straight and promptly overshooting by 12 feet the next corner, but not before they drive right through the guy in front of them... They're actually driving, and racing (and not breaking stuff), means it's cheaper and less frustrating.

For the majority of us, the a-main at a club race of say 1/12th stock has a spread of anywhere from 4-8 laps. Skill level aside, the gap on that will tighten with cars that are easier to drive. More racers finishing closer together. That's a positive way to encourage folks to come back and have fun. Not putting 8-10 laps on the 7th place guy.

With the exception of say the top 40 guys in the USA in any given class, there is more "hanging-on" going on, than actual skillful "driving".

<---usually hanging-on to it...

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:39 AM   #112
jrp
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default FYI

In case you haven't tried it...

17.5 w/2cell Lipo is still WAY WAY faster then 13.5/4cell NiMh

I haven't seen 2cell Lipo w/ 21.5 yet though.
jrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:59 AM   #113
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I hope that the racers don't want to start using 2 cell lipo's for GT class!!!!

Below are some senario's:

1. If Lipo IS used, let the Pro guys run it in a mod only class.

2. In oval - I believe that 21.5/lipo is just about the same as 13.5/4 cell

The point being, is let us as racers, try not to ruin another class! 13.5 4 cell is just about perfect fspeed for now.

These are only the opinions of the poster.

Flame on
Old 10-14-2008, 08:05 AM   #114
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdude View Post
I hope that the racers don't want to start using 2 cell lipo's for GT class!!!!

Below are some senario's:

1. If Lipo IS used, let the Pro guys run it in a mod only class.

2. In oval - I believe that 21.5/lipo is just about the same as 13.5/4 cell

The point being, is let us as racers, try not to ruin another class! 13.5 4 cell is just about perfect fspeed for now.

These are only the opinions of the poster.

Flame on
I agree, except that I would like to be able to use the single cell lipo when that becomes available.

R10 USGT, TRF416 USGT, DB10R, TA05R VTA, R40, RS4 3SS, RS4 super, Savage, Hellfire.

Youthful enthusiasm only rules until old age and common sense exert themselves
JCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:01 AM   #115
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
In case you haven't tried it...

17.5 w/2cell Lipo is still WAY WAY faster then 13.5/4cell NiMh

I haven't seen 2cell Lipo w/ 21.5 yet though.
Yes 17.5 lipo is about the same speed as 10.5 4 cell on the carpet oval. 21.5 lipo is the same speed or a tick quicker than 13.5 4 cell.

Oval is going to have a hard time getting new people racing because of how fast it is going to be this year with most everyone racing lipo. hopefully single cell lipo will help this.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:01 AM   #116
Tech Master

Once again, I'm pointing out that there are two ways to make lipo usable in 10th pan.
-smaller motor
-single cell lipo
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:09 AM   #117
Tech Addict

Each club is going to need to look at what speed they need to have with these cars. 13.5 is probably the best class for experienced racers but it's going to be a little on the fast side for new racers to handle.

We need to do something to get new people into the hobby or we'll continue to see onroad tracks close down. Start slow and build the class up with new racers. Then add another "faster" class.

Basic chassis rules, and preferrably tires (at least for carpet) should all be the same. If the club wants to limit batteries and motors then so be it. The guys that travel to different tracks will need to buy/borrow a battery or motor to race.

I never realized how useful sedans were until last Sunday racing. We had like 3 marshalls for one of the 12th heats because there were only 3 sedans. The 10th pan class really hasn't caught on yet around here.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:14 AM   #118
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge View Post
Once again, I'm pointing out that there are two ways to make lipo usable in 10th pan.
-smaller motor
-single cell lipo
I won't run World GT if it goes to a small motor.

I probably will run World GT if I can run single cell LiPo, mod, and a LMP style body. I absolutely HATE the bodies that were chosen for this class.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:33 AM   #119
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge View Post
-smaller motor
-single cell lipo
Single cell lipo is fine if that's the direction 12th scale takes. A smaller motor is the WORST idea EVER. Keep some cross class compatibility, or you end up with a formula that no one wants because they have to have a CLASS SPECIFIC MOTOR. Hell if you run 17.5, you can still run that in any other 1/10th class. A 380 motor puts you squarely in Micro territory, and there's not enough crossover to support the class that way.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:02 PM   #120
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_B View Post
I won't run World GT if it goes to a small motor.

I probably will run World GT if I can run single cell LiPo, mod, and a LMP style body. I absolutely HATE the bodies that were chosen for this class.
Isn't that called Pro-10, and don't we already have a class for the LMP cars? If you want to run LMP, get a class for it. This class if for GT cars, so it's not likely that we are going to let LMP in!

Both classes can run alongside each other, and that would be a good way to fill the meetings and make them viable.
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote