Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question???? >

World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question????

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My biggest problem is the keyboard jockeys who arent making an active effort to go out and race as Gain Time suggests. I am still assembling my WGT gear together (btw if anybody has a sensored brushless ESC they could part with I am in need of one). Probably wont run my Pantoura until after the new year because I get a nice sum of money then from the school.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
My biggest problem is the keyboard jockeys who arent making an active effort to go out and race as Gain Time suggests

.......Probably wont run my Pantoura until after the new year because I get a nice sum of money then from the school.

Classic.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

If a guy can't afford to spend $125.00 on 3 or 4 , 4 cell packs to run WGT, when he already has hundreds of $$$ tied up in lipo chargers and batteries he probally shouldn't have bought the lipos and what ever car he's running them in.
Guys its not rocket science. Folks will find a way to race no matter what the rules if thats the class they want to run. If not they won't. Spec what ever brings the most racers and possible new racers to your track. If its Lipo so be it, if its 4 cell then go that way.
Think about the new guy and the guy who races in other classes. Think about the guy who left our sport for one reson or another. Its time we all think about rebuilding our sport, that is what the manufactures they met and formed this class were trying to accomplish.
Everyone wants to go faster but sometime you have to stop and think about the new guy coming into the sport. Where do you want him. 10.5 and 5400 lipo? This can be a great entry level class to get folks into other faster more demanding classes like TC.

MY 2 CENTS: ITS ABOUT GETTING PEOPLE TO THE TRACK OR IT WON'T MATTER, CAUSE WE WON'T HAVE A TRACK!

Steve Crane
Just a little Track Owner in East Texas
Old 11-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

It's one thing to enter a new class, try things out the way the class was designed to be and then talk about changes you would like to see.
I researched the class and ploped my money down for a new kit and the batteries I knew I would have to use. Ran the first race of WGT in Oregon and had a blast. 13.5 4 cell, great combination that had been well thought out and now has history at the IIC, Those rules seem to be the standard.

But then some one comes in to the discussion and wants everything changed to suit their wants without even giving the set standard a try, and not just wants, but demands a change.

For some background on him, read this starting at post #6503
http://www.rctech.net/forum/team-com...hread-217.html

And Kev, that part about me being banned, didn't happen, so thanks for the kind words!
Old 11-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Verndog

Classic.
Ok Smartypants, I am the kind of person who is not afraid to admit any shortcomings I may have. I mentioned the fact that I havent run my Pantoura because I dont want anyone to think of me as just some schmuck with access to a computer who is trying to act like a know it all. I'm running starting the first of the year but I want to at least talk it up with people interested in the class and get information that can help me as I get started and hopefully help other people get started as well.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

Last edited by Verndog; 11-13-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Tech Master

not worth it...bye.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:07 AM
Tech Champion

Anyway, I really am looking forward to running WGT no matter what the spec ends up being at my local track or wherever I am able to run. I'll go right on running my 4C/13.5 combo. If that isnt house rules I'll gladly inquire and do what I can to conform. I just want to see WGT become successful.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quite the thread!

Can anyone point me in the right direction for 1/10 wgt racing specs/rules if such a thing exists?

I have noticed a couple of new cars that have caught my eye but I am unsure whether I will even have anyone to race against if I were to make the purchase.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by downtempo
Quite the thread!

Can anyone point me in the right direction for 1/10 wgt racing specs/rules if such a thing exists?

I have noticed a couple of new cars that have caught my eye but I am unsure whether I will even have anyone to race against if I were to make the purchase.

Thanks!
The only place I know of that has specs for World GT is www.worldgtrc.com
Old 11-14-2008, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

My biggest problem is the keyboard jockeys who arent making an active effort to go out and race as Gain Time suggests......
Have you EVER raced? Even a club race?
Old 11-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Tech Champion

Actually yes I ran during the week at Debbie's in Chesapeake while I was working for an organization over the summer that wasnt far from there (Id often also run the loaner car when I got off from work so I could get some practice time but didnt have my TC3 with me...course then it got stolen while I was at college the next fall)

I will add this as well...even after my car was stolen when I came home from college Id run the loaner so I wouldnt totally be out of the loop and Id observe racing on the weekends and ask around among some of the guys Id gotten to know through a local racing community.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Actually yes I ran during the week at Debbie's in Chesapeake while I was working for an organization over the summer that wasnt far from there (Id often also run the loaner car when I got off from work so I could get some practice time but didnt have my TC3 with me...course then it got stolen while I was at college the next fall)

I will add this as well...even after my car was stolen when I came home from college Id run the loaner so I wouldnt totally be out of the loop and Id observe racing on the weekends and ask around among some of the guys Id gotten to know through a local racing community.
So you went during the week and drove on the track, or you actually raced? As in organized, with other racers, qualifying and mains.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Tech Champion

My point of view stems back to earlier this year...I was totally frustrated with NIMH battery packs (purchased from multiple sources) and made the transition to lipos.

At about the same time, we started having issues with rubber tires for our TC cars. The option...going (back) to foams...until the rubber issue subsides.

When I saw the WGT cars at the IIC in August, I was smitten by the CRC Gen-X 10. It was a car that potentially ran both lipos and foams. Looked like a good solution.

Then, I built the car and put it on the track with a 13.5 motor and SMC 5000 lipo...Rocket car to say the least...Was too fast against the 13.5/4-cell cars I ran against. Downgraded motor to 17.5 Orion with a couple different-sized lipos.

I believe there is potential for 13.5/4-cell and 17.5/lipo (size?) to race against each other. Will continue working towards this end to bring others into the fold.

Comments welcome. Flaming ignored.

Bill
Old 11-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Still Bill
My point of view stems back to earlier this year...I was totally frustrated with NIMH battery packs (purchased from multiple sources) and made the transition to lipos.

At about the same time, we started having issues with rubber tires for our TC cars. The option...going (back) to foams...until the rubber issue subsides.

When I saw the WGT cars at the IIC in August, I was smitten by the CRC Gen-X 10. It was a car that potentially ran both lipos and foams. Looked like a good solution.

Then, I built the car and put it on the track with a 13.5 motor and SMC 5000 lipo...Rocket car to say the least...Was too fast against the 13.5/4-cell cars I ran against. Downgraded motor to 17.5 Orion with a couple different-sized lipos.

I believe there is potential for 13.5/4-cell and 17.5/lipo (size?) to race against each other. Will continue working towards this end to bring others into the fold.

Comments welcome. Flaming ignored.

Bill
It's going to be very difficult to reach parity between the 13.5 4 cell and 17.5 lipo.
One will always be faster, and that could change for diff layouts or tracks. To be competitive you would probably need both setups and that would be a major cost increase.
Then there is the AE 10R5 that I have that would need a saddle pack lipo, and in your testing an Orion 2400 20c lipo with any 17.5 motoring you came up with. That Orion won't fit my chassis and have not seen a 2400 20C saddle pack lipo, also to be ROAR legal for the lipo they are huge and way above 2400.
But don't give up the testing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.