R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-03-2008, 10:00 AM   #46
Tech Initiate

[ Some of the ones that have lasted all summer are geared very aggressively. The difference )

Judging by your post, there appears to be another common factor, the cars geared conservativly are blowing up engines. Perhaps they are under geared and are therefore over reving.

I'm a bit of a newbie, but i'm sure under gearing can be just as bad as overgearing as they both stress the motor.
skink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:43 AM   #47
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I could see those coolers possibly forming condensation, think about on a brushed motor if there was condensation in the winds, it'd be chucked out as soon as the motor started spinning, now the magnets spin and the winds stay put, so anything inside the can could potentially short out. I don't know how likely this is, maybe they are pushing some other part of the motor past it's normal operating range, glue or part of the hall sensor.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:47 AM   #48
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
No they haven't been.
Here is September

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...H0590?month=-1

No 90 degree days like in august.

September was mild compared to July and August with lower humidity. Both make a very big difference in motor heat dissipation.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:59 AM   #49
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
Here is September

September was mild compared to July and August with lower humidity. Both make a very big difference in motor heat dissipation.
Quit picking on Tim.....
Mike Pulfer is my HERO....
scootr117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:15 AM   #50
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Here is September

last i checked 90-88 was 2 not 20! People blew up motors when it was in the low 80s. No need to stir things up. I wasnt aware from StL you would know the weather better than me who was actually at the track. You should have been a weatherman!

We are just glad it got figured out.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:46 AM   #51
Tech Champion

Nice Tim you quote a day that you all did not race on. The other days you all did race in September the temps were 79 81 and 75. OK maybe not 20 degrees. But some days in July and August were near 100.

All I am saying is you have to factor in the outdoor temp more than you are and not dismiss it and say you found the problem. The only way to prove your theory is have a constant outdoor or indoor temp.

I would like to know what the indoor results will be? This would be harder to do since it seems indoor 10.5 races both rubber and foam do not have a problem with this over heating issue. As much as your local racers. Maybe it is the indoor temps are normally lower and the humidity is lower. The tracks are smaller so the gearing is more conservative. Could also be the wrong gear choices to begin with on the outdoor track.

Even indoor guys are cooling their motors and do not have as big of an issue in frying motors.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:52 AM   #52
Tech Champion

Quote:
Nice Tim you quote a day that you all did not race on. The other days you all did race in September the temps were 79 81 and 75. OK maybe not 20 degrees. But some days in July and August were near 100.

All I am saying is you have to factor in the outdoor temp more than you are and not dismiss it and say you found the problem. The only way to prove your theory is have a constant outdoor or indoor temp.

I would like to know what the indoor results will be? This would be harder to do since it seems indoor 10.5 races both rubber and foam do not have a problem with this over heating issue. As much as your local racers. Maybe it is the indoor temps are normally lower and the humidity is lower. The tracks are smaller so the gearing is more conservative. Could also be the wrong gear choices to begin with on the outdoor track.

Even indoor guys are cooling their motors and do not have as big of an issue in frying motors.
Kevin, seriously, you don't race there and don't have the background. Im not sure why you are trying to argue from 2 states away? There were a lot of people out there on the 13th. The blown motors went all the way back to May. People were blowing motors that came off the track at 160 and on days that were chilly. It wasn't the heat. Believe what you want to. Everyone at the track is now not using the chillers, not blowing motors, and happy.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:04 PM   #53
Tech Champion

Just making a point Tim, that outdoor temps are a factor. Even from 2 states away one would know this.

You call it arguing when some one points out facts.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #54
Tech Champion

"Facts"

Please just come race with us and make sure you bring your motor cooler. I like my chances!
Old 10-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #55
Tech Fanatic

Yeah .....track teardown is the 18th. Randy is buying dinner for all the volunteers and showing a video "whatever" did for the season.....Come on back..just wear a coat and bring that funny hat ....it's getting cold here...
Mike Pulfer is my HERO....
scootr117 is offline   Reply With Quote