R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-08-2008, 05:14 PM   #16
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think it's the donuts freezing them that is causing the problems.
Syxxstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:13 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

It could be that some of the drivers are driving to hard and causing higher temps. That causes the rotor to weaken. Once a rotor is weak the motor will run much hotter. Plus most of your racers are running lipo's and not stopping at the 5:30 min mark or 6 min. But driving longer and causing more heat damage to the rotor.

It seems when you cool the motor you are masking the real problem of a weak rotor. These need to be changed more often. I know randy has a Gauss meter of some type to check. I would be interested as to what the readings are after a motor has thermaled a few times.

I had a Novak 3.5 with a new 13mm rotor. I had the motor geared properly and 4 runs the motor ran well. On the 5th through 10th run the motor would thermal every run. I took the rotor out and it hardly had any magnetism. I sent the rotor back to Novak and they sent me a new one. Great service from Novak.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:24 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

I am very interested to know how many failures were from each manufacturer. I would be willing to bet the vast majority were Orion motors. Very disapointing to know that Orion knew there was a problem with their latest motors and did nothing about it, except keep selling them.
patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #19
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
what happens when a bearing fails? Seize and burn up? A lot of these were new or lightly used motors.
I had a bad bearing in one of my handouts at Vegas. It was just slow all week and made a loud noise at low speed's in the car. It kinda sounded like a motor with no sensor wire. At full speed you didnt hear it much but it was .5 a lap slower on the track than a motor with good bearings.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:35 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick View Post
I am very interested to know how many failures were from each manufacturer. I would be willing to bet the vast majority were Orion motors. Very disapointing to know that Orion knew there was a problem with their latest motors and did nothing about it, except keep selling them.
I am sue Tim can chime in here, but I believe mostly Novak and Losi motors. The hobby shop does not normally carry Orion motors. I do not know if I ever saw an Orion bl motor in stock there.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:37 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
I had a bad bearing in one of my handouts at Vegas. It was just slow all week and made a loud noise at low speed's in the car. It kinda sounded like a motor with no sensor wire. At full speed you didnt hear it much but it was .5 a lap slower on the track than a motor with good bearings.

EA
Yeah nice excuse, that's a new one I have not heard

Are you going to the Xray challenge in Jonesboro?
Old 09-08-2008, 07:39 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick View Post
I think only 1 person runs an Orion motor at our track. I think the majority have been Losi and Hacker followed by Novak. But that is also what is mostly ran at our track.

Kevin, some of the motors were a day old and had never thermalled. I have a feeling something is just shorting out in there. I've been very fortunate (knock on wood).
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #23
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
Yeah nice excuse, that's a new one I have not heard

Are you going to the Xray challenge in Jonesboro?
Yea it was in my GT car. Motor got over 200 degrees every time on the track. Everyone elses was in the 130 range. Took it to tech and the seized up bearing was found on the endbell end (Sealed motors). Got a new motor and picked up .5 a lap instantly....but was still .15 a lap off!! LOL

I am supposed to work that weekend so I doubt I'll be able to make it.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:15 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would tend to think that mayb you guys have just been unlucky. It may just be that you track is hard on motors (large tracks mean you spend more time at high rpms)

I did some motor testing last weekend to compare performance. On a open track I ran 3 3.5t on 5cell till they dumped to compare on track runtime as well as performance. All 3 ran just over 7 mins and went strong to the end. Hottest motor after a run was the LRP (98c/209f) though this motor always runs hot. Even though they were hot all three motors did same lap times until the very final lap. I would say that as long as its not burning hot the temp has very little effect on brushless motors.