R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-05-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Racing on Ice.

Yes, I said ice.

My local RC club has been approached by the NHL team in our city to perhaps put on some sort of RC display during the intermission of an NHL game. While it sounds like an amazing chance to promote the club (and RC racing in general), we're not really sure how this would work out for us. We predominately run touring cars on carpet over the winter with some 2wd offroad in the summer. To promote the club properly we'd really need to be able to run electric touring cars on ice as I doubt we're going to get any time to thow down some carpet and run a race between periods.

I get a feeling this isn't going to work but I'd hate to pass up the opportunity to promote the club to 20k drunken hockey fans.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.
Rob Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:56 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Use thumb tacks through the tire
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:05 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Burns View Post
Yes, I said ice.

My local RC club has been approached by the NHL team in our city to perhaps put on some sort of RC display during the intermission of an NHL game. While it sounds like an amazing chance to promote the club (and RC racing in general), we're not really sure how this would work out for us. We predominately run touring cars on carpet over the winter with some 2wd offroad in the summer. To promote the club properly we'd really need to be able to run electric touring cars on ice as I doubt we're going to get any time to thow down some carpet and run a race between periods.

I get a feeling this isn't going to work but I'd hate to pass up the opportunity to promote the club to 20k drunken hockey fans.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

Try to run before they zamboni the ice, it will be a touch grippier and there will be less water build up on your car.

Plan on having next to zero forward traction, so it will be hard to get going, and when you do get going, it will be even harder to stop...

If you ever decide to do this, keep the four cells and 17.5's handy...

good luck

NNFaN Paints - Add some pride to YOUR ride.
a_main_attendee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:07 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I am thinking an old set of rubber tires with some sand paper on them would work.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:19 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The Ducati MotoGP team ran one of their bikes on an ice rink! If they can manage I am sure you can make an RC car work! They had studded tires. I would love to make some studded tires and give it a go!

EDIT
here you go, for inspiration.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ9M3P_P9_U
Old 09-05-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (96%+)

Well, i know that if you stick your tongue on ice, it'll stick, so... Tires made out of tongues might work, lol.

Modifying rubber tires to have metal spikes might be your best bet. You could glue the tacks to the rubber, and they'd dig into the ice pretty well. It wont be ultra fast or anything, but it will provide the most traction.

Cheers!
Bigshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Put staples through the tires, like this:

etc

You get the idea

Corinator
Corinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #8
Tech Master

Not that I've ever done this before but....... use rubber tires, put thumbtacks thru from the inside and use firm inserts to hold them in place. It actually works pretty good!
John Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

4WD will give the best feel as 2WD will tend to over steer.

My suggestion, and I mentioned it to HARC when they wanted to race on ice.

Get some 2" Course grit sanding drums. 50~100grit.

Slice the drums to be the width of your tires (24, 28, 32mm ect)

Ture the tires to barely accept the drum sleeve and glue.

Then smear a very thin coat of silicone sealant on the sandpaper. Too thick and the grit will not be exposed. This coating keeps the drum from soaking in water, and provides just a little more traction that paper alone doesn't

If traction is still lacking try making a flapper wheel. About 8 or 12 flaps should be enough .
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:18 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Default Ice racing

G'day Rob
Many years ago there was a group of guys here in Sydney Australia who used to race on an ice skating rink. They used extremely soft sponge hand cut doughnuts slipped over the bare rims. The foam they used was so soft the rim would sink to the ice when you put the car down and you couldn't stand still to long or the foam would freeze to that spot but they had suprisingly good traction , while grip with mini spike rubber tires was non existant. This was with a 4wd Schumacher Cat before the days of touring cars.

Andy
Andy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:44 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

the only way to actually 'run' the cars would cut some nasty grooves in the ice.

instead of ground..... why not take to the air? it would be way easier to get a couple park flyers, blimps, efo's going.

If it 'has' to be ON the ice.... get some rubber tires, remove from rim, use small screws from the inside out. not much more than a mm past the rubber or your car will look silly.

growing up in alaska, we used to thrash with blackfoots, etc. we started out with wood screws and worked our way down to the smallest screws that would still poke out of the rubber.

Very best of luck!

oh, hovercraft would work well too.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:21 PM   #12
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Daddy Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
the only way to actually 'run' the cars would cut some nasty grooves in the ice.
Scotty and the Trackside Crew did this 2 years ago here in Milwaukee with Matt Kenseth. 3 words..... Tamiya Rally Cars. They worked GREAT!

They will probably have you do it BEFORE the zamboni so that the game will have clean ice when you're done.

Here are some pics.

It made for some great drifting through the corners!
The Rally block tires worked great. JUST MAKE SURE YOU COVER THE INSIDE OF THE CAR! We used plastic wrap and duct tape.

Good luck and have fun!
Boomer
Big Daddy Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:08 AM   #13
Shop Owner

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to nnick Send a message via MSN to nnick Send a message via Yahoo to nnick Send a message via Skype™ to nnick

Definately use rally tires

HPI rally tyres should work ok too. On a wooden basketball court (no traction at all) only tire that had traction was the rally tyre

The #1 source for all your electric needs www.rcring.eu

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong

Team Xray T4'17, Team Xray X10'18, TOP Racing Rebel
nnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:33 AM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy12 View Post
G'day Rob
Many years ago there was a group of guys here in Sydney Australia who used to race on an ice skating rink. They used extremely soft sponge hand cut doughnuts slipped over the bare rims. The foam they used was so soft the rim would sink to the ice when you put the car down and you couldn't stand still to long or the foam would freeze to that spot but they had suprisingly good traction , while grip with mini spike rubber tires was non existant. This was with a 4wd Schumacher Cat before the days of touring cars.

Andy
Yeah, this is pretty much what I was thinking...Wouldn't a sponge material or maybe even the factory,(Original Foams) inserts work? Just enough for grip with a little bit of kick out to give a slight drift effect or Gymkhana racing effect. Using something that will give too much grab would defeat the purpose wouldn't it?...Racing on Ice is definetly something different, but hey, sounds like a challenge.
DJ919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:27 AM   #15
Tech Addict

How about 1/8th inferno gt's? They are bigger (more visable to the spectators) so you could get some sponsors logos such as your local club or hobby shop on there to help promote the sport. And you could fit 1/8th offroad tires on them. You could also fit a brushless conversion kit from novak in them if you want to go electric. Man I bet they'd hall a$$ on the ice. The other great thing about the 1/8th rally cars is they have sealed electronics cases to keep the water out of the receiver.