R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-05-2008, 01:49 PM   #31
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
Ummmm...you defend fiddling with NiMh in one sentence and then goof on receiver packs in another? What's the big deal about receiver packs? There are a million good options on the market and the 4 bazillion nitro guys don't seem to have a problem with them...
We're not doing very well with understanding each other, sorry!

I meant that, people are posting that they like LiPo because they can charge it all the night before, not have to do anything at the race, and then forgetting that a receiver pack for a 12th car with BL and a digital servo will only last a couple of races before it has to be recharged!

Gas guys need a receiver pack that will last a one-hour final, so they don't have to re-charge during qualifying (five minute races) at all. There isn't space on a 12th car for a receiver battery pack that would go a whole meeting without re-charging.

I am just amused that people admit to being lazy and liking the LiPo for that reason, and are then happy to re-charge a(nother) battery at the races! I can't see the difference! Still, each to their own... Hope we're cool now.
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:16 PM   #32
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post

I meant that, people are posting that they like LiPo because they can charge it all the night before, not have to do anything at the race, and then forgetting that a receiver pack for a 12th car with BL and a digital servo will only last a couple of races before it has to be recharged!

Gas guys need a receiver pack that will last a one-hour final, so they don't have to re-charge during qualifying (five minute races) at all. There isn't space on a 12th car for a receiver battery pack that would go a whole meeting without re-charging.

I am just amused that people admit to being lazy and liking the LiPo for that reason, and are then happy to re-charge a(nother) battery at the races! I can't see the difference! Still, each to their own... Hope we're cool now.
Eh, the reciever lipo pack that Pro-Match makes will easily last an entire day. All we're talking is an 800 mah cell. That's a pretty small lipo cell. The single cell Lipo that SMC is working could easily fit in 2 slots, and then you put the receiver pack in the other 2 slots. Voila. It works. Right now it's laid out to fit across 4 slots. Then you add weights as necessary to the car and it'll come around.

However, I don't think that lipo and 4 cell nimhs will mix. Just to many differences between the two. Power, weight, etc. 1/12th scale guys are very "traditional" when it comes to their class and really resist any change. Partly, I think this is due to costs. 1/12th is cheap, yet one of the best tuning classes due to lack of adjustments one can do.

All well. Our track is just growing and it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

paul
Old 09-05-2008, 07:15 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Me too! At least we're being civil about a disagreement. I haven't seen that happen much lately.

Quote:

I run lipo, but I'm still jockeying two chargers at the race -- I run multiple classes. I just like that I don't have to worry about discharging, cycling, matching, etc. that comes along with NiMh. Burn some power off, plug it in and hit "go" and simply top it back off. Sometimes I run three classes, which is too hectic under any circumstances, but I love these cars and want to play as much as I can. I guess I'm willing to trade some of the mystique and savvy for more racing.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:23 AM   #34
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Less time dealing with packs can only mean more time working on car set-up.

The first time I saw a gas truck race I was put off from running gas for life. The guys running the class spent all their time (unsuccessfully) trying to keep their engines running and that left no time for chassis set-up. Consequently their cars handled really poorly.

For me the chassis set-up is just as important as the driving but battery cycling is dour. I race offroad once a month. To keep my packs in good order I really should be using them at least twice a month. So, I'm not just cycling my packs at the races but when I'm not racing as well! At times I feel like my hobby is RC battery charging - not car racing!

As for rubber tyres on pan cars though, I'm not a fan. I have had some experience of it, having raced a Tamiya TF103 in a rubber class, and tried rubbers on a Tamiya C-Series and a Corally CCT. The cars handle very differently. With foams traction loss is gradual, with rubbers it is not. Pan cars being rear wheel drive you want the type of handling foam offers otherwise your car will become trickier to set-up and harder to drive - it'll want to swap ends more often.

I've always liked driving Pan Cars, and that has put me in the minority in the State in which I race. Part of the reason I like them is that they are a real drivers category, you can feel the car begin to move and correct, there is more feedback. You don't get that with TCs and part of the reason for that is rubber tyres.
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:37 AM   #35
Tech Rookie

A123 cells do fit, just fine
Attached Thumbnails
4 cell 1/12th Scale Stock Parity with LiPo-dscn0488.jpg   4 cell 1/12th Scale Stock Parity with LiPo-dscn0490.jpg  
BulletMaster is offline   Reply With Quote