R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #91
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
Kensei,

I run WGT on both carpet and asphalt all throughout the year and can assure you that the 37 shore spec tires (by JACO/CRC/BSR) work quite well for both situations.

After over two years of running WGT, I have only been to one asphalt track that was "sealed" where the spec rears did not work well; so, we used pink rears there.

I am believing that JACO will have a new WGT tire available soon. In the mean time, I am using the WGT Spec Tires available from either CRC or BSR.

Bill
Using stick pack or saddle pack in your car?
Kensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #92
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
Using stick pack or saddle pack in your car?
WGT is normally run 1s here in the states so everyone is using a 1s stick pack. If you are running something faster like a 2s mod pro10 car, you're going to need a softer rear tire.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #93
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
WGT is normally run 1s here in the states so everyone is using a 1s stick pack. If you are running something faster like a 2s mod pro10 car, you're going to need a softer rear tire.
We have used WGT in our Pro10 cars acouple of times, and they worked surprisingly well.

The biggest "problem" I have found with the WGT wheels, is the fronts wear out twice as fast as the rears on asphault, and its pretty hard to get the car to a racable ride height with stock wheels. I have always had to cut them down to prevent traction rolling.

Shawn
Shawn68z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:21 PM   #94
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn68z View Post
We have used WGT in our Pro10 cars acouple of times, and they worked surprisingly well.

The biggest "problem" I have found with the WGT wheels, is the fronts wear out twice as fast as the rears on asphault, and its pretty hard to get the car to a racable ride height with stock wheels. I have always had to cut them down to prevent traction rolling.

Shawn
Alternate between two sets of fronts to one set of rears to get the f/r WGT spec tires to wear down close to equally. As needed, switch from side-to-side too.

Don't remember it being any different for WGT 1S or 2S. But, 2S ran down quicker.

Typically, the same 2:1 wear ratio applies to WGT lilac spec tires on carpet too.

Bill

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.

Last edited by Still Bill; 12-19-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:57 PM   #95
Tech Addict

Quote:
Alternate between two sets of fronts to one set of rears to get the f/r WGT spec tires to wear down close to equally. As needed, switch from side-to-side too.

Don't remember it being any different for WGT 1S or 2S. But, 2S ran down quicker.

Typically, the same 2:1 wear ratio applies to WGT lilac spec tires on carpet too.

Bill
Thanks for the suggestions bill, What I tried at the end of last season was to cut the rears down more then the fronts. Helped enough with the ride height, and the tires would be down to the rims at around the same time.

Shawn
Old 12-19-2011, 10:24 PM   #96
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions bill, What I tried at the end of last season was to cut the rears down more then the fronts. Helped enough with the ride height, and the tires would be down to the rims at around the same time.

Shawn
Shawn,

So what are your starting sizes for front and rear?

Are we talking 1S/2S racing on asphalt? Blinky or ramped?

Bill

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:09 AM   #97
Tech Master

Shawn, do you put one set front and back on the car and you run them to the rim? Then take another set of front and back tires and run them to the rim again? Adjusting ride height as you go? (switching the front left to right etc).

Just curious.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #98
Tech Regular

Quote:

Shawn
And what if using in the rear 35 or 36 shore and in the front 40ish?
The fronts won't wear down that fast then?
And subsequently the "wear-down-ratio" front vs rear is more like we want it to be. Maybe some extra front tyre additive tuning is needed.
Kensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #99
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
And subsequently the "wear-down-ratio" front vs rear is more like we want it to be. Maybe some extra front tyre additive tuning is needed.
Now this is a silly comment!

WGT tires are a spec tire. You DO NOT HAVE ANY CHOICE.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #100
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

How well do the spec tires work on carpet without any additive?
Old 12-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #101
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
How well do the spec tires work on carpet without any additive?
They tend to have little to no traction until they warm up which could take a few minutes.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #102
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Now this is a silly comment!

WGT tires are a spec tire. You DO NOT HAVE ANY CHOICE.
not so silly, as you can read, Shawn is not running in a WGT class.

Quote:

Shawn
Old 12-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #103
Tech Addict

Quote:
Shawn,

So what are your starting sizes for front and rear?

Are we talking 1S/2S racing on asphalt? Blinky or ramped?

Bill

Sorry for taking so long to respond.. Ive been away for alittle bit.

Running WGT (1s, 13.5 Boosted, 1kg car)

I was trued them down to 57mm in the front and rear. Now, but I have been truing just the rear to 57, and leaving the front stock at 60mm. Its helped to even out the tire wear, over the life span on the tires. I normally only rotate the fronts from left to right, as I get minor coning on the left front (long sweeper).

2wDrive: I used to run the wheels to the rims, but, I found I was loosing traction as I get closer to the rim, so I now take the wheels off at 54mm, and if they are in good shape, I will lightly re-true them, and save them for carpet season. Helps with the tire bill too.

Shawn.

Last edited by Shawn68z; 12-27-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: bad grammer
Old 12-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #104
Tech Elite

My error thinking that this was a WGT Spec tire thread and that all the comments were WGT related. I didn't realize it was open for Pro10.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:00 AM   #105
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
My error thinking that this was a WGT Spec tire thread and that all the comments were WGT related. I didn't realize it was open for Pro10.

No, not your error at all. I believe I have started the confusion, as I have used WGT wheels in both Pro10 and WGT and didnt specify which car I was talking about.

The WGT wheels do give a surprising amount of a traction, and wear like iron. But I would have rather seen an Pink/Purple combo myself. To late for that discussion though, the Liliacs work pretty well.

Cheers,
Shawn.