R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-09-2003, 05:05 AM   #31
Tech Elite

One thing I really like about sway bars, is the WAY they reduce roll.

A simplified example: Take an RC car with some certain springs.

Now add sway bars front and rear, and then use softer springs so the final result is virtual the same roll, as with the original springs.

The advantage is that when the outer wheels in a turn moves upward, they try to make the inside wheels go upward too (to some degree). This gives a little extra grip on the inside wheels.

When comparing these two setups on the track, I find the car is more predictable with swaybars, thus going faster.

The downside of sway bars, is if the track is bumpy. Then they really can screw up things.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:22 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i did a minor test just now,and i can say to a certain degree of accuracy that sway bars keep the respective end of the car ALONG THE INTENDED LINE.So yes,they reduce front traction IF ur car has too much of it,and it also increases traction if that particular end is sliding.
of course,it was a comparison between have and have not,so i'll see if i can do more varied tests.
i would welcome feedback on this,as i dont think i can be 100% true and accurate.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 09:05 AM   #33
Tech Addict

Exactly.... that is my hypothosis as well
holycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 10:37 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

glad to know someone agrees..
how would u say about front/rear with anti sway and the other end WITHOUT?
does it do anything to the other end without?
i think not,as i believe it only affects the respective end.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 10:57 AM   #35
Tech Addict

Not sure.. i will be doing some sway bar testing Saturday at socal... I need to learn this stuff if im to beat you guys!
Old 09-09-2003, 11:48 AM   #36
Tech Regular

lee, I think you simplified what I was trying to say earlier..well said

As for the effects that it has on the other end: the reality is that the unaltered end of the chassis does not change, however, the change in overall handling will give the PERCEPTION that the other end behaves differently, because the overall balance of the car will change.

For example, your car is pushing, so you decide to make a change in the front. After the change, you notice that the rear is sliding out a little, so the next step might be to change the rear a little. You continue this back and forth, until the car feels "hooked" on both ends.

TurnNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 02:19 AM   #37
TC3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by holycow
I always thought adding a sway bar ADDED grip to the end you placed it on... which is the whole point.. pulling pressure against the inside arm, to level out the car.. more level/less roll = traction across both tires rather then just the outside tire = more traction..... am i wrong?
if u add a swaybar (or use harder springs) there is more weight transfare on that end!
that means, the outer tire has to carry more weight an the inner less weight. but there is most traction if both tire have the same weight to carry.
so with softer springs you can have more traction, because of less weight transfare.
with a stabi u have less traction on both tires but more on the outside tire= less traction

sry for my bad english
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 11:15 AM   #38
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by TC3
if u add a swaybar (or use harder springs) there is more weight transfare on that end! that means, the outer tire has to carry more weight an the inner less weight. but there is most traction if both tire have the same weight to carry. so with softer springs you can have more traction, because of less weight transfare. with a stabi u have less traction on both tires but more on the outside tire= less traction
That totally condradics everything said on this thread so far.

Quote:
so with softer springs you can have more traction
Totally not bro This totally depends on the surface. If you have a totally flat, totally smooth surface, with no inconsistancies, then the stiffer the spring the more traction you gain. Softer will yield less tractions. But on a an inconsistent surface, with bumps, ruts, dips and such, a harder spring will result is reduced traction across those particular inconsistencies.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:32 AM   #39
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Just remember that swaybars do absolutely, positively nothing while going in a straight line.... A sway bar will only come into play while cornering, period... A sway bar will also allow you to run a softer spring than you'd have to without it. If you have a real bumpy track that warrants a soft setup but it has some high speed turns, a sway bar would let you have almost the best of both worlds...
vtl1180ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 12:08 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Default Electric On-Road > Sway Bars

Guys;

All things being equal. I have found that adding a Front Sway Bar to some Cars, will calm the Steering down and make the Car less darty without any perceptable loss of Steering.

Anyone else see this?
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 12:30 PM   #41
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by vtl1180ny
Just remember that swaybars do absolutely, positively nothing while going in a straight line.... A sway bar will only come into play while cornering, period...
Unless you are driving over an inconsistent surface... a sway bar will affect the indipendant nature of your suspension, even if driving in a strait line. hitting a bump with your FR tire will affect the FL more then if had not been running a sway. Not that this even matters as we rarely encounter this on our road courses.. im just a stickler for being accurate
Old 09-11-2003, 12:37 PM   #42
Tech Regular

Agreed, holycow... swaybars are USUALLY only considered on smooth tracks, unless too much corner grip demands that they be used (to prevent traction rolling). At that point, you have to sacrifice a bit of straightline stability for corner speed.

The last track I ran at required sway bars just to prevent traction rolling... The main sweeper and straight was pretty bumpy right along the racing line, which made it especially interesting when you were fighting for position !
TurnNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 01:30 PM   #43
TC3
Tech Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by holycow
[B]That totally condradics everything said on this thread so far.

i just explained why you loose traction when adding a stabi !
if ur car oversteers, u add a stabi in front, because that will reduce traction.. = no more oversteer..
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 04:23 PM   #44
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

all this talk about sways....

anyone factor in the dependency of droop settings with the addition of sway bars?

sway bar thickness?

personally i've never even toyed with them. there are so many adjustments to make, that i am just starting to think about adding sways.

but i like to tune with droop alot, and adding a sufficient sway bar really alters the way a car will access it's droop travel.

just some thoughts.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:40 PM   #45
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You have to make sure your droop and swaybar agree. You don't want a heaxy swaybar and tons of down travel.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote