R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-11-2002, 09:56 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default whatac/dc peak charger to buy

i just wanted your opinions on which budget peak charge to buy. can you guys comment on the mrc 959, duratrax intellipeaks, or the integy 16*3 line. please recommend others. thanks
was ist los? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 12:57 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Was ist los? Hey, check out Novaks ac/dc charger the ionic. It runs about $125 retail. If thats a little out of your budget, look at Reedy's/Team Associated Quasar charger(not the pro version), it runs about $100 retail. Now if thats out of your budget also, then I would go for the Duratrax intellipeak's. Good luck and Happy racing!IonicQuasar
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 08:18 AM   #3
Tech Master

I have two duratrax intelipeak chargers and they work great. Never have they false peaked on me. I think that the two higher price ones have two cooling fans on them. This is great when you have to charge multiple batteries in a row on race day. Mine never get hot and I have charged batteries for 7 hours non-stop on them. They run anywhere from $60 to $100. I have the ones with the LCD display on them. You don't really need this feature, I just thought that it looked cooler than the other ones. You can't beat these chargers for the money!

My friend has a MRC 959 and I cannot trust it as far as I can throw it. It always false peaks, and gets really hot when you have to charge multiple batteries in a row on race day. It cost around $40 to $50, so I would spend the extra money on the Intelipeak chargeres.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Modena AL; 01-12-2002 at 08:23 AM.
Modena AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 04:42 PM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

The indi 16X3 prov2.5.

$110 from stormer. https://sslserver.com/stormerhobbies...pl?pn=INTE2013

"Full-featured charger, user-friendly, for Ni-Cd and Ni-MH packs, built-in output protection, built-in battery conditioning, reverse input voltage protection, internal cooling fan, detachable AC and DC cords. VESC charging increase voltage output. Smart internal software automatically apply the proper deltaV for charging Ni-MH battery packs, AC/DC 16-Bit digital charger, 4 to 7 cells: charge, discharge and cycle. Also has built-in TX/RX slow charging along with 6 modes of operation [Repeak, Ni-Cd Coldstart, Ni-MH Coldstart, Discharge, Partial Charge & Conditioning Cycle], adjustable 0.5A-6.5A charge rate, 4A discharge rate, very small and light weight." (Quote from integy's site)
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 05:51 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

was ist los?

Here's the specifications on the novak AC/DC ionic charger from Novak's web site; Get the Ultimate Charge
The Ionic is Novak’s much anticipated AC/DC charger. This full-featured charger accepts 100-240V AC input, and has a constant current linear charge of 0.5, 1.0, or 4.0 amps. Its easy-to-use 2-button interface allows users access to two charge modes: Ni-Cd (Nickel Cadmium) and Ni-MH2 (Nickel Metal Hydride)--Novak's exclusive triple detection mode that utilizes a highly accurate charge algorithm that helps prevent false-peaking. This results in fully charged batteries that are not overcharged or overheated. In short, your batteries will get the ultimate charge.

Two of the great built-in features that prevent damage to, as well as ensure the appropriate charge mode is applied to battery packs, are Battery Conditioning and Reverse Input Voltage Protection. The Battery Conditioning mode is enabled before charging begins. This mode analyzes the battery and connections, and if needed, the charger will attempt to condition the battery with a low-level trickle charge to bring up individual cell voltages so that successful charging can occur without reversing a cell. This will result in cooler packs, which translates to a longer lifespan for your cells. Reverse Input Voltage Protection determines if your battery pack has sufficient input voltage to charge the number of cells you've selected. Other features include a built-in fan, thermal protection, and full output protection.

IONIC SPECS & FEATURES AT A GLANCE
Dual mode: Ni-Cd linear & Novak Ni-MH2
Highly accurate Novak Ni-MH2 algorithm prevents false peaking & overcharging
Case Size: 5.10” x 4.20” x 2.80” (12.95 x 10.67 x 7.11 cm)
Weight: 22.56 oz., 640 grams (AC/DC model); 13.8 oz., 391 grams (DC only model)
0.5, 1.0, 4.0A constant linear charge
User-friendly interface with easy-to-see LEDs
Can be used with either AC or DC input voltage
Universal Input Voltage: 100-240 volts AC (UL/CE approved power supply); 12-15 volts DC
Charging Capability: 4-7 cells (1.2 volts DC per cell)
Dual inputs to internal (AC/DC model only) or external power supply
Detachable AC and DC cords
Reverse Input Voltage Protection
Built-in cooling fan

Battery conditioning
Thermal and Output Protection
User-replaceable output wires
Millennium-style DC input connector

Here's the specs. on the reedy quasar charger from team associated's web site; Quasar Charger

AC/DC charger for Ni-MH and Ni-Cd batteries
Case material Anodized aluminum, titanium color
Case size 150mm x 100mm x 50mm
Input 120V AC / 15V DC (switching power supply)
Output 4-8 cells (4.8V to 9.6V)
Battery capacity 50-6000 mA
Charge rate 0.1 - 6.5A
Input cord AC/USA type plug and DC/alligator clips
Output cord Tamiya plugs with adapter for alligator clips
Voltage protection Yes
AC fuse protection Built in
Instructions Yes
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 07:44 PM   #6
Tech Master

LOL! That indi charger looks just like the Duratrax only with a different color case. I bet if you took the indi apart it would say Duratrax on the insides. LOL!
Old 01-13-2002, 12:54 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Actually it is the other way around, open the Dura trax and it'll say Integy inside!!
rto997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 11:53 AM   #8
Tech Master

Which one is more expensive? Im taking mine apart today.
Old 01-13-2002, 11:58 AM   #9
Tech Master

What I meant by my comment was that the cheaper company usually creates another company that will sell the same stuff for more money. Take your Phillips tv apart and I bet you money that it says samsung on the inside. From my experince in working in the electrnoics department at kmart...Phillips was by far more expensive than samsung. I just figured that duratax would do that becasue their stuff I usually pretty cheap...but I could always have it the wrong way around. I'll find out today...
Old 01-14-2002, 06:42 AM   #10
Tech Elite

First: Those Integy/Duratrax chargers are good. Fast, light, easy to use (dont have to choose between NiMh or NiCd or anything else) and reliable.

Second: Neither Integy nor Duratrax make them. They are made by Apex (www.apexhk.com) However, some of the Integys have sligthly different software. The Apex and older Integy versions can be upgrade to this VESEC 2.5 software.
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 10:28 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Dragon

INDI 16X5BL Computerized Charger with 12V14A Power Supply

"This is a DC charger plus AC-to-DC 14Amp power supply combo package. "

Does anyone know if this power supply is internal (just plug directly to the wall) or external(using a transformer)?
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 09:10 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to signoftimes

Hi! Everyone,

Anyone here has tried Super Brain 959 from MRC (Model Rectifier)? Seems like a pretty good and flexible charger at such an attractive price. At USD46.99 from Tower Hobbies, it allows charging at rates: 0.5A, 1.0A, 1.5A, 3.0A, 3.5A, 4.0A, 4.5A and delta peak voltage thresholds settings at: 5mV, 10mV, 20mV, 30mV, 40mV, 50mV.

Anyone has even read any reviews on it. It'll be great to know that.
signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 09:43 AM   #13
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Quote:
Originally posted by rto997
Actually it is the other way around, open the Dura trax and it'll say Integy inside!!
Both wrong..... It will say Apex inside!! Apex has been using this case for years...... way before they had contracts to built chargers for Duratrax and Integy!!!!!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 10:51 AM   #14
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

dtm is correct....in fact Integy sells the Apex charger as well....
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 09:11 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Modena AL
Which one is more expensive? Im taking mine apart today.
I'm pretty sure that indi pro 16x3 has more features then the duratrax.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote