Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-14-2001, 08:52 PM   #31
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally posted by Diva
TSR6: It seems that you prefer a famous "brand". That's OK. But if I were you, I'd seek an objective comparison on the track. If fact, I don't know how Novak will perform (if it really release one). Perhaps one day I might get one from them. However, I'd never make my judgement just by "seeing" them drive in a show.
Diva - Yeah, sure... I think Novak creates great stuff, but if i felt there was a better product, i would probably use it. I'm not as brand loyal as you would think i am. I used to be, and i know that i used to be...

I have yet to see or hear about a brushless motor with a smooth low end powerband. The Novak's have that, and yes they need some track testing as does everything, but i really feel they have a good product... and that is my personal feelings. I
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2001, 03:57 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Default Smoothness

I've been following this thread for a long time just because I have two of these motors.
One from Aveox and One from Modeltech.

The Aveox is not very smooth probably (surely) because of the ESC. It was intended for boats and we don't need that smoothness.

However the MT is smooth. Very smooth. I started to gear it as I would do for a 5 or 6 (!!!) and ended up using ratios typical of a 10 or 11. It beats any mod I've ever seen in terms of performance hands down. Accelerates faster than a 8 (with that low ratio) and it beats it in top end. You would have to see one to believe it.

The brakes? Well if we are not carefull it's like hitting a wall. Instant stop. All the negative EXP you can have and it's enough brake. I assure you.

Duration? Well, my first tests reached 18 minutes at race speed (more speed than the others ) but with the higher ratios I would get some lousy 10 or 12 minutes.

With this kind of power the motor has to be smooth because no matter what tires you have they would loose grip. They loose grip when you get to a straight and hit the throttle. It spins all 4 wheels and it gets pretty fast.

I assume that the Novak will not have that kind of power. The word was that it was designed with a more conservative power output because it was intended for fun running. Imagine the average street basher just plug a battery and run for 20 minutes...
At the end, no brush replacing no comm truing no maitenance AT ALL. This market is very significative for Novak (or to any other manufacturer for that matter).

The MT are high end BL motors. The ESC were designed for racing (I know it's not sanctioned but it's racing anyway).

The Novak is a sensor motor and the MT is a sensorless motor. If you find the photo there are 5 thin wires coming out of the motor and 3 thick ones. This is typical of Aveox motors too. I have no idea of the advantages or disadvantages (well, I have some, but I don't want to start a debate over this).

Let's wait for the specs of the Novak before comparing with the other brands (Aveox, Modeltech, Kontronic, Koelher, Lehner etc etc). It's just a pre production (prototype) inside a transparent box that runs for display purposes. Yet..

angrymrsquirrel - My Pro 2 did not stipr any belts with the BL. However I've stripped one with a 12x3. They can take a beating. Don't worry

Last edited by antoniop; 09-15-2001 at 04:01 PM.
antoniop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2001, 08:01 PM   #33
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to porkybmx

what ratio (final ratio) were you running to recieve 18mins run times?
porkybmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 04:40 AM   #34
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Quote:
Originally posted by Diva
dtm: Now I've changed to a 7-seat with bigger room coz my Vitara is not big enough to house my toys. And when you have limited time, GP is much more convenient than EP. Agree?
You only just bought that Vitara and you are changing cars already. Next time I see you at PYC you will be driving a van with the back converted to a garage!

GP is fun but at PYC it offers NO advantage.. we have been proving that time and time again with our Xrays at only 10-11 turns!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 07:38 AM   #35
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by porkybmx
what ratio (final ratio) were you running to recieve 18mins run times?
I used a Final Ratio of 13.0, a Spur/pinion ratio of 6.05.
Then I went up to a 32/115 (3.59) ratio and the time dropped to 10-12 minutes.

Needless to say that th car was a "bit" faster than before...
Old 09-28-2001, 12:23 AM   #36
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to JesseT
I just visited the GM website and was surprised to see that their brushless and it's speedo looks very much like the Modeltech units. Are they of the same origin? Does anybody know, how the GM range of brushless motors perform? The GM unit seems to be a little cheaper, so that's why I'm asking...
BR/ JesseT
JesseT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 10:03 PM   #37
dtm
Tech Champion

I'm pretty sure that the GM and Modeltech ESC are from the same source. The controllers actually look identical and the programing "beeps" which is a quite Unique sound is also identical. The program setup is also the same! Maybe Modeltech and GM run different software in their units but the hardware should be the same!

As for the motors. The GM units use a smaller bearing compared to Modeltech. MT has a new motor out which should be a lot better than their old units. This would put the MT motors better than the GM. In terms of speed. I have only compared the characteristics of the old MT with the current GM. They are very comparable.

Mike, do you have anything to add?!!
Old 09-29-2001, 01:37 AM   #38
Tech Apprentice

Fellow RC maniacs,
I have been a brushless motor owner for over 6 years now. I have 2 brushles setups from Aveox.
The motor I am currently using in my custom made monster truck is a 1409/3Y.
The throttle control (especially braking) is really wiggy. Like mentioned above, probably due to the ESC.
The power this motor produces (it is even bigger than a 550, much bigger actually) is positively astounding. Even with all this power I still get 20 minute run times with two 2000 packs in series. I have lots of stories to tell about my experiences with these motors/controller, but I am a tad lazy and a crappy typer ...

Here is a pic of the monster truck I have the Aveox motor in:

When I put the motor in my B3 a few years ago, it took me like a week to figure out the proper gear ratio. I fianlly settled on a 35/72 combo ! Is that crazy ? YES

That MT above has a Losi XX buggy tranny in it. I can make it about 3 runs before stripping the center gear. This truck weighs about 9 pounds (VERY heavy), yet it still can do wheelies if I lock up the slipper. MONSTER HP is how I would describe it.

I am hoping Novak addresses the controllability issue. The controllers for BL systems have to be very advanced due to the nature of the job they do. It is WAY more complex than a standard motor ESC.

OK, my fingers are tired of hunting and pecking ....
jeepinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 02:28 AM   #39
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to porkybmx

sweet truck. Might you have a picture with out the body? It would be nice to see your set-up inside
porkybmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 03:11 AM   #40
Tech Apprentice

porkybmx,
I have quite a few pics on my website (see my sig).
Here is one of the inside, just in case you don't come visit

jeepinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 03:15 AM   #41
Tech Regular

WHAT A CUTE PICTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 04:04 PM   #42
Tech Adept

Default Need Help!!!

Well, I've been trying to order modeltechs new batch of motor (B6XR)but they haven't been calling me for my payment info. I don't really trust putting my credit card info... I'd like to know how'd any of you guys ordered your units, because ever since I updated my whole computer my security option doesn't let me order anything on modeltech. When I try to buy something and go to check-out it has nothing in the basket??
HyReV-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 05:20 PM   #43
Tech Regular

Hi,

I paid mine with CC. The order system uses HTTPS and you are getting an empty shopping basket because your security disabled cookies.

Enable them on the Tools/Internet Options/Advanced on your browser (I assume you are using IE...am I right?)

It's the second best way to do it. The first one is to send a fax to them with your shopping list and CC number.

If you don't feel safe ordering on line, that's your best bet.
Old 09-29-2001, 08:32 PM   #44
Tech Apprentice

are brushless motors really better than motors with brush??
Garapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 01:43 AM   #45
dtm
Tech Champion

Default Re: Need Help!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by HyReV-R
Well, I've been trying to order modeltechs new batch of motor (B6XR)but they haven't been calling me for my payment info. I don't really trust putting my credit card info... I'd like to know how'd any of you guys ordered your units, because ever since I updated my whole computer my security option doesn't let me order anything on modeltech. When I try to buy something and go to check-out it has nothing in the basket??
Yes, Faxed CC details will work just as well. Just contact Mike!