R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-05-2003, 07:19 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default 1/12 Tc...why???!!!

So it's being said over and over regarding the new 1/12 Xray and the Yokomo......WHY ???? What are these manufacturers doing??? Is 1/10 on the way out??? Is there just nowhere else to go with 1/10 chassis design ???? Is there a huge closet movement of 1/12 scale racers that we haven't heard about??? I for one would have much preferred to see a new Xray shaft car!!! So what do we...the buying public ....have to say about this sudden push toward gettin small !!!! AGAIN !!!!
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 07:28 PM   #2
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I think it's kinda cool, sorta a fun second class... I welcome the new cars, and I know a lot of other people do as well.

If there wasn't change, we'd all be charging our 1200mAH stick packs on our panda timed chargers, to put in our Tamiya Frog's...
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 07:33 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

On theplus side-only 4-cells (Cheaper to buy) and uses normal size tires. On the negative side-They look really heavy for only 4-cells to carry around.
Also on the plus side-may be more fun on small tracks than 1/10th sedans.

Just think-you could run 12th scale and 12th Sedan and use the same 4 cell packs. YOu could just buy 2 matched six cell packs and voila-three race packs.

I too would like to know if they are going to make a big splash!!! Anyone got a crystal ball?

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 07:39 PM   #4
Tech Elite

But does it make much sense given that Micros and MiniZ's just don't seem to have made a big impact in the US. I'm just really curious who they're marketing these to??? Just another form of racing.....yes I suppose ....but what would make someone buy a 1/12tc vs. a 1/10 ?? Not a substantial difference in cost and unless a track were willing to build for just 1/12...there wouldn't be much savings in building costs.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:36 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

A hobby shop with limited space could start a 1/12th scale track with a releatively small area. 30 x 36 with 6' lanes gives you a fun 1/12th scale track with potentially interesting layouts.

This allows one to offer 1/12th pan and now 1/12th sedan classes. Definitely good enough for club racing.

One more thing, 1/12th sedans with 4 cells and stock motors, talk about tight close racing.
ARC MotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 08:44 PM   #6
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Evoracer
But does it make much sense given that Micros and MiniZ's just don't seem to have made a big impact in the US. I'm just really curious who they're marketing these to??? Just another form of racing.....yes I suppose ....but what would make someone buy a 1/12tc vs. a 1/10 ?? Not a substantial difference in cost and unless a track were willing to build for just 1/12...there wouldn't be much savings in building costs.
Micros and Mini Z's are toys compared to the technology in these cars... actual 1/10 sedan technology. In fact, I have seen one of these raced in a normal sedan stock class and beat everyone in the class with it (he did stack 6 cells for equal power) I am going to get one just for a fun class to race in, they look like a blast to drive.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 08:46 PM   #7
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

It's good and it's bad at the same time. If you want to be quickest, batteries will become even more important then they are in 6 cell, becuase your running less cells you will really need performance from them. The good is two 6 cell batt's and your set for racing. I reckon it would be a great class but I rather run 12th scale pan then 1/12th touring, cheaper to keep running and batteries are less important becuase of the decreased friction in the drivetrain, plus direct drive pans can be extremely faster if setup and driven well.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 08:59 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

It might be unfair to judge the 1/12th 4wd Sedan for what it isnt. if you know what I mean. Its just a small sedan and sme people like small cars. Driving a Tamiya Mini on carpet is a hoot. It leans like a real car and it looks cool all tiny and rippin around the track.

I think Xray and Yokomo need to not make Stratus bodies and just stick to fun 2-door bodies like the Beetle, Mini Cooper, Golf, Focus, Peugot........

Its like Stock sedan Light!!! And you cannot tell me that Stock Sedan at your track is not a cuthroat, big buck, anything to win class.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 01:50 AM   #9
Tech Master

No I also think this one more class doomed to fail.

It is quite easy and chea for a manufacturer to make this cars, since most parts are barrowed from their bigger (or bigger and older) brother.

I mean also 1/12 pan car is slowly becoming more pouplar, but if there is a choice people would rather run 6cell intead of 4!.
Who likes buying new packs for (in most country indoor is a winter thing, and 1/12 is mostly run indoors).
In real life allmost no-one starts converting their 6cell to 4cells.
In theory they do though...
PizzaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 05:46 AM   #10
Tech Elite

I guess my primary point was that I'm confused why the manufacturers would invest in a potentially money losing proposition.
ARCmotorsports mentioned the potential cost savings for a shop or club to build a track BUT....just as i said earlier, that means you are building a track for 1 class only !! Assuming 1/12TC does well then the investment is good.But what happens if it fails ??!!
Ray made a point about Tamiya Mini's (one if my fave's).....but they are 1/10 scale and 2 WD. Personally I'd rather keep pushing the Mini's than try and market a new class of car.
Pizza made a point about 1/12 pan cars. They are finding new popularity and I fully understand why. Kind of like the F103's were. 2WD, uncomplicated and wickedly fast.
Oh well....I still would have rather seen Xray build a 1/10 shaft drive TC. I'll add that to my collection just because I think it's going to be a work of art.
Old 09-06-2003, 06:00 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Doesnt anyone think that 1/10 touring cars are too heavy, too fast, and too compicated? I for one think we need to go to 4 or 5 cell, because the cars are becoming too fast.

Think about 3 years ago, when TC became popular. Top packs are maybe 1.11. With 6 cells, thats 6.66 volts. NOw, top packs are 1.19. 6 cell, thats 7.14 volts. Thats about a 10% increase in power from the battery, not to mention the leaps and bounds in motor technology that we've seen. And taht the capacity is so high you can afford to overgear a little.

I just think with the increases in technology, we need to limit the speed of the cars somehow, and that instead of limiting the motor, we should be limiting the batteries.
RC Paperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 06:37 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by RC Paperboy
Doesnt anyone think that 1/10 touring cars are too heavy, too fast, and too compicated? I for one think we need to go to 4 or 5 cell, because the cars are becoming too fast.
ABSOLUTELY NOT! I've run 1/10th 6-cell MOD PANCAR roadcourse, believe me a touring car is hardly TOO fast.

I personally feel that the class is a wonderful idea, but I agree with Ray on the body point. I wouldn't go with Mini style bodies, I think they should scale down the plethora of full-scale touring cars that are ACTUALLY raced. Maybe DTM cars only. Audi TT's, CLK's and Opel Astras. That would be cool.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 06:41 AM   #13
Tech Master

A few years ago several manufacturers had 1/12 scale 4wd cars.
They flunked.
Why would it work right now?
PizzaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 06:52 AM   #14
Tech Elite

I don't really see 1/10 TC's as becoming to heavy or complicated. These are racecars and part of the fun and the allure is that they are very much like their full size brothers.
As for the power of batteries...that may be true but battery power is not the only aspect of a powerful car. If you put a 1.19 pack in a car with a stock or can motor and a basic esc,that car is great for a newbie to drive. The nice thing about these "complicated" chassis is that you learn the importance of chassis setup. Battery tech is about to explode as LiPoly batteries make there way to RC cars. 1.19 will be a joke in the next year or so. And 5 minute runs won't even begin to strain these cells. Add that to the eventuality that brushless will be the motors of choice and you have a great future. If anything, I could see Electric TC's getting bigger.
Old 09-06-2003, 07:02 AM   #15

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to StephenSobottka

I think the idea is very cool and that they keep all of the same parts from most of the bigger cars is a good idea. Id still rather run 6 cells and go rippin down the track though. Lets just see where it goes shall we?