R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-24-2008, 07:20 AM   #1
Tech Master

Default Weight balancing with Lipos

In the case our place's organizers are going to think for Lipos replacing all troublesome NIMH at next year, maybe the race distance could be longer, from 8 to 10min with 23T/11.5R motors. Then we are going also to fighting against to no weight limit to have more fun.

So i want to know which chassis could balancing with less lead to put the car left-right equally, then to put the car as light as could.

For myself, i wonder to have Orion 3800, maybe i will try to put also the receivers and transponder in the battery side.

Could somebody share with me some experience about using Lipo, please.

Best regards
mac853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:57 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey,

well, the situation as I see it, is what we have now and what might be in the future.

Right now, we have weight limits meant for nimh. Given this as a constant for now, I have been thinking about really using it to my advantage. I run foam sedan, so weight is pretty important. Right now I have the weights loaded up on the battery, as per popular form. I keep thinking that I should get 4 digital scales, a perfectly level surface and move the weights around until the car weighs the same on all 4 corners. Or maybe more importantly, develop something like a 40/60 front to back weight distribution. Mark the placements and have the ability to tune via weight movement on the chassis.

What the future holds no one really 'knows' but with the increased performance from brushless, and the much lighter weight of lipo's it seems to me that technology is going to make the call on this one. So 'eventually' yeah, the rules will adapt to popular demand and we'll see reduced weight. For now, we have to be greatful for the organizaiton we do have and be patient as companies and organizations strive to keep up with our ever increasing ability to have fun by racing some of the coolest toys on the planet.

Cheers to all,

The Bear
Old 08-24-2008, 08:12 AM   #3

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

hopefully it equals slow death of touring cars in favor of pan cars as it should be

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:22 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

[quote=ultegrasti;4768730]hopefully it equals slow death of touring cars in favor of pan cars as it should be

Ya, your right. It's much more fun to turn left then turn left then turn left then turn left then turn left then turn left, wow I'm getting dizzy.
Bertetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:50 AM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultegrasti View Post
hopefully it equals slow death of touring cars in favor of pan cars as it should be

R
well, to wish the death of any class in r/c is to cut off your nose off to spite your face.

Just because you can't keep up with the work a sedan requires, there is no need to trash a class.

But, back on track so to speak. . . . What are the pan chassis drivers going to do when it's lipo time?

Last edited by The Bear; 08-24-2008 at 08:52 AM. Reason: ,
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
Hey,

well, the situation as I see it, is what we have now and what might be in the future.

Right now, we have weight limits meant for nimh. Given this as a constant for now, I have been thinking about really using it to my advantage. I run foam sedan, so weight is pretty important. Right now I have the weights loaded up on the battery, as per popular form. I keep thinking that I should get 4 digital scales, a perfectly level surface and move the weights around until the car weighs the same on all 4 corners. Or maybe more importantly, develop something like a 40/60 front to back weight distribution. Mark the placements and have the ability to tune via weight movement on the chassis.

What the future holds no one really 'knows' but with the increased performance from brushless, and the much lighter weight of lipo's it seems to me that technology is going to make the call on this one. So 'eventually' yeah, the rules will adapt to popular demand and we'll see reduced weight. For now, we have to be greatful for the organizaiton we do have and be patient as companies and organizations strive to keep up with our ever increasing ability to have fun by racing some of the coolest toys on the planet.

Cheers to all,

The Bear
Excuse me Bear, would you mind to tell me specifically how do you balance between front left/right and rear left/right, please.

Quote:

R
I remember in my foam racing days(10 years ago), our cars weight were around 1150-1250G .
As i told in another thread, our TC cars(YR4M, GTO961, TF3, etc) were just alike "pan cars with 4wd transmission".
And somebody has glued Jaco Pro10 tires on TC wheels forcefully. In the case in our times has not still the pre-glued foams for TC.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #7
Tech Master

well,,,, I would probably start with as near perfectly flat and level a surface as is humanly possible. 4 digital scales measured equal distance apart with wheels in the center. start adding weight to the corners that need it most. We typically set our 'tweak' or balance of the car with shock springs and a tweak station that amounts to a level the car sits on. I'm taking as assumed that the car is already in tweak balance.

it was brought to my attention by a good driver that I'd also have to account for the vertical weight as well for a 'perfectly' balanced sedan. With the motor being up higher, it might need to be offset with weights up on top of the bulkhead,,,,, but I'd start with each corner.

sedans these days developed from 4wheel drive buggies vs. pan cars. Usually they use upper and lower chassis plates, belt or shaft drive. The sedan tires by jaco and parma work phenomenally well with pretty predictable results. The foams and rims are made specifically for tc, not jerry rigged with pan rims.

Last edited by The Bear; 08-24-2008 at 12:59 PM. Reason: clarification
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

The Losi Type R or the Magic car are one of the few that will probably need the less weight added to the Battery side because of how they are designed. Keep in mind that the farther you hang the weight out from the center of the chassis the less weight you will need to balance it from left to right.

ultegrasti: Pan cars might actually take off if they were priced a little bit lower.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:39 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Quote:

R
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:06 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I'm think keep more 1 year 1500g again !
after ISTC will start next ver. car for Li-Po balance release .
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #11

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

indeed, sadly folks want an arm and a leg for pans too. granted 250 vs near 500.

perhaps some of us just dont wanna work on them so much anymore. the cool techy factor has grown old. something needs to happen, notice every1 goin offroad?

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:09 PM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
indeed, sadly folks want an arm and a leg for pans too. granted 250 vs near 500.

perhaps some of us just dont wanna work on them so much anymore. the cool techy factor has grown old. something needs to happen, notice every1 goin offroad?

R
we had add 2-3pcs (60g/pc) weight in battery side !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:36 PM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
The Losi Type R or the Magic car are one of the few that will probably need the less weight added to the Battery side because of how they are designed. Keep in mind that the farther you hang the weight out from the center of the chassis the less weight you will need to balance it from left to right.

ultegrasti: Pan cars might actually take off if they were priced a little bit lower.
Kraig, i saw in Losi Type R thread, somebody show his car without body, weighs more than 1300G, is just too heavy, i don't like this car so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC MARKET View Post
we had add 2-3pcs (60g/pc) weight in battery side !
Yes, but in the case i thought in HK races have weight limit to equal LIPO/NIMH using cars. Then will not happening in our place.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

I balanced my TC5 using 4 kitchen scales I bought for 5$ each at kmart or somewhere and a level set-up board. I used the LIPO plates from PPD and was able to balance out the car with both sides equal to a couple of grams and front to back within maybe 10 grams by moving the electronics & battery around and then some fine tuning with the shock collars. Its actually pretty easy.

I'm pretty much a hack driver, but the car does seem to handle better.
mikel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:59 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac853 View Post
Kraig, i saw in Losi Type R thread, somebody show his car without body, weighs more than 1300G, is just too heavy, i don't like this car so much.

Yes, but in the case i thought in HK races have weight limit to equal LIPO/NIMH using cars. Then will not happening in our place.
What is your minimum weight to get down to?

Never mind, I see there is no weight limit. Having a chassis balanced left to right is important if you are looking for the little edge.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.

Last edited by Kraig; 08-24-2008 at 09:00 PM. Reason: found the weight requirement
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote