R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-24-2008, 03:34 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Default New race body, race day foiled!!!

Well guys, I had the biggest upset ever with R/C racing last Sunday. It was a special race…an official Tamiya Cup Challenge race to be exact. Sorta like a manufacturer’s race if you will.

I was entering two classes…the “Lightly Tuned” class, and the “GT Tune” class. The rules determined the state of tune the cars had to be in. Spec tires, motors, body shells, gear ratio, etc. I had just about everything, but the Lightly Tuned class called for 1 of 9 specific Tamiya scale bodies, and the use of the included light buckets was mandatory. The pickens were slim out of the bodies in stock, so I chose the Nismo 350Z.

I had worked all week to get the cars ready, but I was dragging my feet on the 350Z body shell. I knew it had to be simple, but since it was a scale body I wanted to find a real car to replicate. After an exhaustive search, I only found 2 real world race cars based on the Nismo version of the 350Z. They were actually the 380 RS-Competition model, but since they are based on the same body kit, I thought I’d be able to pull it off.

The first car was the Super Taiku Endless Farilady Z, as it’s called in Japan. Solid Blue was simple enough, but I was hard pressed to find all the graphics to replicate and even if I did, it’d be impossible to do in the span of one week. I needed something simpler.

Enter the manufacturers’ 380 RS-C, the car the Endless car is based on. When this car was released, it sported Nissan factory livery. It looked simple enough, so I decided on that and pressed on.

And it was pretty simple. So simple I thought I’d be able to do it rather quickly so I didn’t really work on it until the day before the race. What a bad idea that turned out to be. I ended up staying up all night (literally) to finish it and replicate the graphics from scratch. The paint was barely dry by the time I had to leave for the event. I still had some loose ends to tighten up, but I figured I’d do it at the track.

I get to the track after being up like 30 hours, and I’m exhausted. I finished everything I had to do like 5 min before race start, so no practice session to scrub in the tires for me. Right before I had to bring my car to tech to get inspected, I get this horrible pain in my side, like a running cramp, but a million times worse.

I thought it was because I was up all night without food or water. I quickly went to a convenience store and got bread and water - didn’t help. I returned to the track and when I got out of my car the pain was so great I doubled over and just laid in front of my EVO, staring at its intercooler in awful pain. A friend of mine stopped by to say hello before race start, and he ended up taking me to the hospital.

Turned out it was a kidney stone!!! My race day was foiled by a freaking kidney stone! I ended up leaving all my gear there and my friend got it later for me. What a day it turned out to be.

So with all that said, I rushed to get this body ready and it’ll never see the light of day, since it’s not really the best body to use for the normal club races (too heavy).

Here it is though, all finished up. I think it turned out pretty well for a 1 day job (probably the quickest I’ve ever finished an R/C body to date).

Here are the real car reference pics:

Here’s my version:

Enjoy!

- Paulie
pgeldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:41 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Looks good. You probably need some longer body posts though!

Sorry your race day got ruined. Hope you are feeling better...
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:52 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Shame about the pain, But it makes a great post.
Metla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:23 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hope you're feeling better now. How about some chassis pics too?
stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:20 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

This is quite a shame... did you have an operation to have it out?

You can be cool and bring it in a jar in your pit bag...and when you tell the story, you reach the part where you are about to say "kidney stone" and you whip it out

The body looks simple, but I know how complicated those little details are. How did you do those red stripes on the side of the car? Are those actually painted?

Paulie, always love your posts. You should keep a blog--I'd read it
Old 08-24-2008, 09:38 AM   #6
Tech Addict

That sucks about the stone, been there. Nice looking "Datsun" though.
KE4PJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:37 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooshu Beef View Post
This is quite a shame... did you have an operation to have it out?

You can be cool and bring it in a jar in your pit bag...and when you tell the story, you reach the part where you are about to say "kidney stone" and you whip it out

The body looks simple, but I know how complicated those little details are. How did you do those red stripes on the side of the car? Are those actually painted?

Paulie, always love your posts. You should keep a blog--I'd read it
Thanks everyone. No, no operation (yet), so it's still with me at the moment.

The Red stripes are actually decals. I looked at the reference pics, sketched them out on paper, scanned it, then went over it in Paint Shop Pro in vector format before finally printing them out on special stretchable clear paper by A-One.

If you like that, you'll love my drift bodies. I spent months recreating graphics from scratch to make some of those. I can post them if you want, but I know this is a touring car forum and don't want to get flamed for showing drift stuff.

- Paulie
Old 08-25-2008, 01:11 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgeldz View Post
Thanks everyone. No, no operation (yet), so it's still with me at the moment.

The Red stripes are actually decals. I looked at the reference pics, sketched them out on paper, scanned it, then went over it in Paint Shop Pro in vector format before finally printing them out on special stretchable clear paper by A-One.

If you like that, you'll love my drift bodies. I spent months recreating graphics from scratch to make some of those. I can post them if you want, but I know this is a touring car forum and don't want to get flamed for showing drift stuff.

- Paulie
There is no flaming on here, unless it is in a 12th scale LiPo thread. Post the pics.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:14 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Ok, sweet. A little off topic, but since we were talking about the way I make my own decals, here ya go...

First up, my Fujita Engineering RX-7...

Instead of going crazy with body modifications, I decided to replicate a car that I haven't seen done yet. I wanted to do something different. After much research, I found my ultimate FD. The Fujita Engineering (FEED) RX-7. Everything was right up my alley. Feed’s “Power 2007” FD is based on a RE Amemiya body kit, so it was the perfect choice for this project. I thought the color combo was perfect, and would be the type of build up I’d do in real life if I actually had an RX-7.

I decided to take the plunge and re-create all the decals myself. I found some very good stretchable label paper over here in Japan for use with inkjet printers (clear and white).

The challenge was that there were virtually no pictures of the car in question online. I found a user’s website that had pictures of a Hot Version Togue Battle shot sometime in October for a future segment. Here is the actual car I’m trying to replicate, and these are the pics I used for reference to make the graphics…they are small!

Of course, no one makes the paint color I needed. I use the Tamiya PS spray cans exclusively and they only make translucent silver, bright silver, silver, and gunmetal. I needed a light gunmetal/dark silver type of color. I achieved the target color by spraying 2 coats of translucent silver, then 5 light coats of gunmetal, than 2 coats of black. Turned out perfect! I even replicated the carbon fiber hood using some hospital tape underneath smoke paint, backed with black to give off depth. This tape is great, because it molds around bends very, very easily. Even though it’s only about 1 1/2 inches wide, you can line it up as not to see the tape seam lines.

I re-created all the graphics from scratch in vector format (except the window trim and rear back up lights/reflectors) so I could resize at will and not degrade the image. Once done, I sized them up, printed them, and CUT THEM OUT BY HAND. After the first 30 minutes, I almost gave up, he he he. I kept going though (no frickin’ R/C car is going to get the best of me) and managed to pull it off…

Old 08-25-2008, 04:15 AM   #10
Tech Addict

I ended up creating decals for the body seams as well (from scratch), just to add a little bit more realism. The hood graphic was especially hard to do. After much frustration of not being able to have the graphic line up straight because of all the bends in the vents, I decided to compensate for that in the graphic itself. I ended up warping the graphic so when printed it would be wavy, but when appied around the bends of the hood, it would compensate and lay flat across. It worked! Here’s the finished product…

Old 08-25-2008, 04:15 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Old 08-25-2008, 04:17 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Next up is the JIC Magic RX-8...

Again, I wanted something no one had, and could not be easily replicated. This body is an exact replica of JIC’s first RX-8 D1 entry and is 10mm wider than my previous shells (HPI 200mm). I cut the body to mimic JIC's car, as the rear was totally different. In addition, Speed Way Pal wheels w/staggered offset were used to fill out the car's new stance.

All the graphics were painstakingly reproduced by yours truly using Paint Shop Pro in vector format, and then sized appropriately for 1/10 scale, printed on special Japanese stretchable decal paper by A-One. Thanks to my good buddy Rick, he was able to use his Japan-only ALPS thermal printer to replicate the Chrome JIC logos on waterslide decal paper, since non-thermal printers can’t print Chrome.

So here’s the end result of about 2 months work…my JIC Magic RX-8

Hope you liked them...

- Paulie
Old 08-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I've definitely seen your RX7 somewhere before...

I think you could have made the grey under the red lines a bit darker... I couldn't see it very well (talking about your 350 Z) but seeing that it was so late...

What chassis do you have under those cars?
Old 08-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Any chance you posted that rx7 on nasioc?
Old 08-26-2008, 12:14 AM   #15
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooshu Beef View Post
I've definitely seen your RX7 somewhere before...

I think you could have made the grey under the red lines a bit darker... I couldn't see it very well (talking about your 350 Z) but seeing that it was so late...

What chassis do you have under those cars?
Yeah, I noticed the Grey could have been darker too once it was all said and done, he he he.

My drift chassis is a Yokomo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHoff7 View Post
Any chance you posted that rx7 on nasioc?
Yup, I have!

- Paulie