R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-25-2008, 07:48 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchy View Post
In a rush, banana plugs can be plugged into the wrong polarity since they're the same . Deans can't.

Mine are fool proof.. - is about 2" shorter than + wire..so - wire will never reach + post input...

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
John Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:58 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tag View Post
Mine are fool proof.. - is about 2" shorter than + wire..so - wire will never reach + post input...
I second that.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:02 PM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Since this has turned into more then just a battery topic.

ta_man,

Have you ever done the math and which has more contact area, a 4mm banana jack or a Deans plug?

Deans - 4.4mm contact surface.

4mm Banana - 12.5 mm contact surface.

Same goes for the solder joint. My bet is the banana jack can handle more current flow.

As for those with the polarity issue, just do what some others have suggested. Make the wires different lengths so it makes it difficult to plug in the wrong hole. I love banana jacks, much easier to plug, less solder joints to break, easier to clean if needed, and much cleaner solution on the battery side.
5280 Raceway
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22nd 2018 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:57 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Another idea is have one banana plug round and the other, square.

even with equal length wires it would be impossible to reverse the polarity.
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:45 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 151 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkspeedo View Post
Since this has turned into more then just a battery topic.

ta_man,

Have you ever done the math and which has more contact area, a 4mm banana jack or a Deans plug?

Deans - 4.4mm contact surface.

4mm Banana - 12.5 mm contact surface.

Same goes for the solder joint. My bet is the banana jack can handle more current flow.

As for those with the polarity issue, just do what some others have suggested. Make the wires different lengths so it makes it difficult to plug in the wrong hole. I love banana jacks, much easier to plug, less solder joints to break, easier to clean if needed, and much cleaner solution on the battery side.
Not sure how you get 12.5 MM contact surface. Especially since surface is measured in square inches or square MM units, not linear (which is the dimension you gave).

I didn't measure a deans but I just now measured a banana plug. The only contact area that counts is the part actually making contact. That is .052" wide by .200 inches long for each of nine "teeth" or "bars" on the male plug (Trinity R-Minus/Corally style). That looks like about .093 square inches, or less than one tenth of a square inch. The part that counts is the part that is touching, not the entire innner surface of the female socket. A Deans is easily bigger.

There is also the issue of contact force. Deans has it all over the banana plug there with the steel spring pushing the big flat contact areas together.

Aside from that, I don't actually use Deans - I use PowerPoles. They have contacts that are held topgether again by steel springs. I think Deans are probably better, but not by enough that I will give up the convenience of the PowerPoles.

And on that subject, anyone looked at the wire on those ProMatch packs? I was putting PowerPoles on them today and I think the wire is way bigger than 12 Ga. I don't know for sure if it is 10 Ga, but that seems to be the right choice for my wire stripper.
ta_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:41 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

i believe the wires are ten gauge on the promatch packs.
used them for racing for the first time last night...actually only used one for 2 six minute qualifiers in 4WD dirt buggy, 8.5 brushless. could've recharged for the main i guess but i had the second pack and i used it for the main.i might actually have been able to make the mainn on the first pack...still had 7.3 volts in it after the second qualifier. these things rock, i probably didn't even need my charger with me...i didn't use it. life is so much easier at the track with lipo/brushless...just run and have fun...no work to do
as a side note...car was much faster and a lot more punchy..actually had to start braking over the double to down side it right ...never had to do that before.
rcracer1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:24 AM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

raced again this passed sunday, ran 3 6 minute qualifiers on one charge, still had 7.02 volts in the pack, when discharged after racing @35 amps, still put out 1350 mahs , after running 18 minutes in a 4WD buggy. Amazing batteries.
I've been cycling mine like SMC suggests you cycle theirs, full charge, discharge @ 35 amps. Both my batteries top off over 5100 mahs, have discharge times in the 590 second range, and have internal resistance readings in the low 7's( 7.1 in pack #1, 7.2 in pack #2)
These have to be the best value out there @ $89.95 per pack, and if you order two, shipping is free...i'm buying 2 more as soon as i can.
rcracer1958 is offline   Reply With Quote