R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default 1/12 Pan Brushless Lipo Rubber Tire Class?

Seems to me like this would be just about the "most racin', least fiddlin'" thing possible. As a somewhat-new racer, the things that turn me off about 1/12 scale are the brushed motors, screwing with batteries, and the foam tires. I love the looks of the cars and the simplicity of the chassis and drivetrain compared to touring cars.

Brushless is obviously here, SMC has lipo on the horizon for 12th scale, so how about rubber tires? Has it been done? Or would this take the "soul" away from 1/12 scale?
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Time and technology may have changed..but years ago someone tried building tires similar to the Touring Car tires for Pan Cars...they didn't work ( I remember hearing the belief was because the Pan Car was too light)

There ARE or Were CAPPED 1/12th scale tires (For Oval) but I can't imagine they ever worked for On-Road Racing.
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
Tech Elite

The Tamiya F103GT seems to have worked well in the TCS and it's basically a 1/10th pan car on touring car rubber. Maybe it only works at silver can/black can speeds...
Old 08-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

cap 1/12 tires SUCKED!!! Thats why they are a thing of the past. Yes foams can be agrivating, but the traction is superior.Plus if you get the ride height dialed on your car for stock class you can squeek a few weeks of racing out of a set, especially the pre-trued jaco prisms.
2wdMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
Seems to me like this would be just about the "most racin', least fiddlin'" thing possible. As a somewhat-new racer, the things that turn me off about 1/12 scale are the brushed motors, screwing with batteries, and the foam tires. I love the looks of the cars and the simplicity of the chassis and drivetrain compared to touring cars.

Brushless is obviously here, SMC has lipo on the horizon for 12th scale, so how about rubber tires? Has it been done? Or would this take the "soul" away from 1/12 scale?
I would suggest a video game version of 12th racing to take all the hassle, broken parts and work out of the hobby.
Tire Chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:56 PM   #6
Tech Champion

First the F103GTs are much longer and wider then a 1/12th. 2nd they don't work all that well against 4wd rubber tire cars. And lastly they work many many many times better with foam tires.

I raced the F103 chassis with the F1 rubber tires and very much disliked using those tires. I missed the foam tires but at the time they were no longer readily available so we had to use the rubber tires. One of the worst things that ever happened to F1 was the move away from foam tires, in my opinion.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
One of the worst things that ever happened to F1 was the move away from foam tires, in my opinion.
Another one was trying to mix HPI F1 cars with Tamiya and Kyosho cars....but that's a whole different subject.
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
Another one was trying to mix HPI F1 cars with Tamiya and Kyosho cars....but that's a whole different subject.

I agree...I wish HPI, Corrally, and the others that made F1 cars had stuck with the standard F1 wheel and tire that Tamiya and Kyosho used.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tire Chunker View Post
I would suggest a video game version of 12th racing to take all the hassle, broken parts and work out of the hobby.
I bet you're patting yourself on the back right now over your clever comment. Congrats!
Old 08-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Uh oh Pete, are you eyeing 12th scale now?!???? I sure hope you say yes!

Personally I prefer foam tires as I started with them for nitro onroad. I love the added complexity. Setting the car back to the same ride height after the foams wear down changes much more than many think. Your roll centers change, and from there you have to re tune it out essentially. What fun!
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:27 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezenclowd3 View Post
Uh oh Pete, are you eyeing 12th scale now?!???? I sure hope you say yes!

Personally I prefer foam tires as I started with them for nitro onroad. I love the added complexity. Setting the car back to the same ride height after the foams wear down changes much more than many think. Your roll centers change, and from there you have to re tune it out essentially. What fun!
I kind of am, and this thread was just a lark based on our earlier conversation about brushless and lipo in 12th scale. Like you said, running one class makes for a slow day, and I've kind of done the mini cooper thing (I'll still bust it out for big races or another points series), and if one of the "novelty" classes like open wheel or Vintage doesn't take off I'll be looking for something else to run. I think 12th would be the natural choice given the scene at CAM.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:46 AM   #12
Tech Initiate

do all 1/12 drivers use brushed?
i do not think so. most are driving brushless these days and also in racing they have the open class that allow brushless motors.
i like foam tires much more then rubber. they have more bite and i dislike the sticky stuff with the rubbers.
i would also like to have some lipo saddle packs that fit perfectly into a 1/12 chassis but the need sticking to 4-cells is no torture...
Old 08-22-2008, 03:50 AM   #13
CDW
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to CDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tire Chunker View Post
?? Working on a 12th scale is way more of a hassle then working on a Touring Car? interesting....
Old 08-22-2008, 12:27 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW View Post
?? Working on a 12th scale is way more of a hassle then working on a Touring Car? interesting....
Get some sleep Froggy..........your not making any sense
Mike Pulfer is my HERO....
scootr117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #15
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Blaspheme

be away with you wicked monster!

there is a 2wd 12th scale rubber tyre class that can run lipo and brushless.... it's called mini cooper which are front wheel drive for a reason. don't try to make another class because you don't want to work on anything. like was said I have a copy of RC pro am somewhere I'll give you. if you bored I would suggest you spend some time cleaning your diff balls or rotating tyres. If you are just running for fun and to burn up addition class time standard 12h class is fine. I used two 4cells and a 17.5 brushless and just swapped tires each round to take the GA state 12th scale champs. while wrenching on my touring car all day chasing setup. but I like to work on my stuff as that is part of the fun of real racing. and as for 12th scale on rubber yes not enough weight. touring car is 4wd and weighs almost twice as much as a 12th scale and has trouble with traction on rubber tyres. I guess you could make your own 1/8th scale electric 2wd pan car and and add a lot of weight to it and you might get it to go around the track instead of spin in circles. but not with the 12th scale there is a reason the rear tires are twice as wide as the front. it has to do with phyics and psi
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow — never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long — you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote