R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Time to ditch the sedan bodies for another design. Its hard to get excited watching a Stratus ect.........350Z 911 or anything but sedan bodies.
Tire Chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:02 PM   #17
Tech Master

Love my Raybrig NSX 2007. The only car that looks different on the track. heck, check this out.
http://www.h6.dion.ne.jp/~u-mikaz/ta05ifs-5.htm
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:51 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

on topic, yes touring cars have reached a point where there are really no new designs, just minor tweaks and innovations. Their popularity has peaked and declined. i beleive this is for a few reasons.
1. a good comp level car is going to set you back 3-4 hundred or more
2. subdivisions in the class, ie rubber and foam. back when tourers first came out they were rubber tire only, but somewhere along the way this wasnt good enough for some.(I loved touring when it was rubber only) and the class was split.
3. rules being created at a club level to accomodate a few.ie 13.5= stock. too many people were jumping the gun before anybody ever really researched a stock equivalent.
4. even after a stock equivalent has been established by governing bodies(roar,ifmar) some clubs continue to run 13.5=stock.

agree with this if you want , or dont. All Iknow is when touring first started as a class it was fun and cheap.with foam tires came much added expense, and a division in the class. Foam and rubber have become 2 seperate classes.It is aggrivating at a club level to show up to race and find out that everybody else is running rubber when your equipped for foam, or vice versa. For god's sake lets pick one! having 2 classes with 4 cars in each class is stupid when they could all race together IF they were running the same tire. Bottom line is it has become a confusing pain in the ass class to run.Between rubber and foam and 13.5 or 17.5, or brushed 27t and li-po or Nimh, you need a whole hobby shop in your pit box just to go do some club racing.
2wdMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:04 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default f1

just my thoughts, touring cars were great to promote the hobby, but now at a point where it is too expensive and complex. i race mod/brushless/lipo and enjoy it.

however i revived a very old tamiya f103 with a 23T/brushed motor/esc and enjoyed it even more, speed comparable to modified touring, but more fun and realistic to me.

enjoyed it so much, bought another f103 kit brand new... will continue to race touring, but hope more people join the cheaper, more realistic and fun chassis such as f1 and minis. race organizers... hoping for your support... TC is purely for hard core racers...

cost of a complete f103 with esc/batts/controller is cheaper than a TC chassis... with emphasis on driving skills rather than new sets of tires, setup boards, etc.

maybe if we all start playing with f1s, pan cars, minis, cheaper but fun class we can change organizers priorities... btw im from the Philippines but see similiar initiatives in other countries...
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:14 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe64
I think your totaly wrong. The fast guys will always figure out how to be faster than the rest, just look at oval racing these guys already know the trick to go fast with lipos and brushless motors. Just warm up a lipo and you will be faster, there is a rule at the IIC for temping lipos and they have to be at a certain temp or your DQ'ed. Brushless motors are the same rc guys will figure out how to get more speed. So if you think it is equal now think again
RACING (Not Just R/C Racing...) will NEVER be equalized...

It will NEVER be equalized because you can NEVER equalize the caliber of the drivers and set-up guys.

That being said - the LIPO and BRUSHLESS combos currently that HAVE been being used in OVAL racing has come closer to equalization than virtually ANYTHING I've seen in 20+ years of rc racing.

It HAS allowed racers who never could get 'Team' batteries, and those who couldn't get those 'Special' motors to be able to concentrate MORE on Driving and Setup.

EQUAL - NO
Better - YES

Will somebody figure out how to SCREW it UP - YES (they always do)

Just MHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HxR
Maybe TC's should go back to the roots...
How many remember the ROOT of the Touring Class?

I remember the first set of Sanctioned Rules I ever read for TOURING was called something like the T/K Touring Cars (Tamiya/Kyosho) and those were the ONLY 2 cars allowed to run. (That didn't last long)
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:29 PM   #21
Tech Master

Not to disappoint you guys, but who said TC had to be expensive? Take the TA class for example. Control motors, control tires, control bodies, a TT01 can be competitive in that class.

It's not more the chassis itself, but the electronics that are getting out of hand. $80 batt packs, $200 speedo, $80 motor are just some of them. Especially the NiMh battery BS has got to stop. Every month, someone at the track has batts with more voltage. Some people think buying the most expensive equipment will get them the podium(people really think this is so), but in the end, it is the driver. BUT it is also true that the better drivers will have these high-end stuff because they know how to utilize it. Before you know it, people are saying "this is BS, he's winning because of all the good stuff. RC is expensive = sucks"

Getting back to the subject, and I don't know how many times I've said this. Just look at how Tamiya runs the races in Japan. Japan has their own ROAR style national races, but not as big as the TGP race. It hits the normal mass of people and not just core racers. The races are held in public places such as malls and not some discreet course somewhere hidden. That's the kind of racing we need more here in the states. My2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
Will somebody figure out how to SCREW it UP - YES (they always do)
I already hear about tuning BL motors lol

Last edited by redbones; 08-20-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:18 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i think most people see TC as expensive because they jump straight to those $4xx chassis. i mean, why would you jump straight to a CF kit if you're just starting the hobby? and for stock/23 class, a plastic TA05 chassis is as competitive as the 416 or an 08.
Minami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #23
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minami View Post
i think most people see TC as expensive because they jump straight to those $4xx chassis. i mean, why would you jump straight to a CF kit if you're just starting the hobby? and for stock/23 class, a plastic TA05 chassis is as competitive as the 416 or an 08.
Well, a TA05 can get more expensive than a CF kit if you can't control your spending habits. But that's whole different problem you need to deal with yourself.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:48 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

yes, but that's unnecessary. and i do get what you mean. lol.

but i think most people overseas just jumps quickly into buying unnecessary hop up parts before they even run the kit.
Minami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:57 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbones View Post
Not to disappoint you guys, but who said TC had to be expensive? Take the TA class for example. Control motors, control tires, control bodies, a TT01 can be competitive in that class. .....
That works for TA yes, but other TC class that's not true- a TT01 will not but competitive. That why I left the hobby the first time. Matched batteries, com lathes, etc.. too much money. In TA, as long as I can do a decent job setting the car up and driving I have a chance.
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:39 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

hey swtour: your comments hit the nail on the head. Yes the fast guys will always be faster,but brushless and li-po had made the gap smaller than it ever was with brushed motors? Also change is a good thing,but i think that the motor and batteries such as brushed,brushless and nimh,li-po are changing to fast to keep up and find the right rules to keep everyone on somewhat of an even playing field,but as i said before the fast guys will always find a way to be faster than the rest of us. Thanks for the responses
b-man777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:50 AM   #27
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
I remember the first set of Sanctioned Rules I ever read for TOURING was called something like the T/K Touring Cars (Tamiya/Kyosho) and those were the ONLY 2 cars allowed to run. (That didn't last long)
Who actually started this craze. I'm talking the current CF design. I know it was not tamiya because they didn't start making the modern layout until the TA04. But I just love the TA01-02 for some reason. I think it was the Kyosho with the Spider series. Then HPI w/ RS4.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

I'd like to see more aerodynamic bodies that utilized ground effects if possible. Maybe even a fan like the fan cars of the 70s that sucked the air out from under the car to give cars insane grip. Probably too complex for our VERY limited room, but it sure would be fun to try.

Fan Car? What?!
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:38 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
It's a shame there's not a reliable, affordable source of Tamiya parts in the US for all their touring cars. They do a lot of neat things that seem to work really well in Japan.
Speedtech does a pretty good job. I run nothing but Tamiya and they do a pretty good job of keeping the important replacement parts and hop-ups in stock.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #30
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezenclowd3 View Post
I'd like to see more aerodynamic bodies that utilized ground effects if possible. Maybe even a fan like the fan cars of the 70s that sucked the air out from under the car to give cars insane grip. Probably too complex for our VERY limited room, but it sure would be fun to try.

Fan Car? What?!
Tamiya tried a wind tunnle test at the Suzuki test lab on their GT bodies. They tried out with front canards like the real deal, but didn't affect downforce too much. The NSX had the best balance, but the Legacy race bodies had the best figures (go figure). I think they did another test for the new TB-03 book.