Community
Wiki Posts
Search

eZRUN brushless system

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The EZRun combos are still some of the "best bang for the buck" sets out there. One thing to be aware of is that you have to be aware of exactly what motor you are getting, depending upon your needs. Any of the motors that have the built-in "cooling fins" are actually 540-sized cans, but have 370-sized armature. This means that when comparing a 9T true 540 motor to a 9T "finned" motor, there will be some substantial differences. I can't remember where I saw this, but, for example the 9T 4300kv "finned" motor has less than half the amp draw of a 9T true 540 motor and at the same time about half the power. That's why HobbyPartz combos the motor with a 35A ESC. Put a true 540 9T on that ESC and it will release the magic smoke pretty fast.

Don't get me wrong, this particular motor that I am referring to is a beast for the price. I have it in a Redcat Lightning EPX drifter and I've had to put the throttle down to about 60%. For your application, I would imagine that this motor would be more than enough. For a short course truck, probably not.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Before buying it for racing, I'd check to see if your local club has any special requirements regarding motors in that class.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default EZRUN 60A stopping

I also have an EZRUN 60A and 5.5t combo. I used it in my 1/10 touring car. There's this problem everytime i run that after about 5 min of run around the track it stops. The ESC blinks green, what seems to be the problem? Anybody experienced this also? i just turn off the esc then turn it back on it will run fine again. Please help if you know whats the problem. My FDR is 6.08.

Thank you!
Old 03-14-2012, 07:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kikoy
I also have an EZRUN 60A and 5.5t combo. I used it in my 1/10 touring car. There's this problem everytime i run that after about 5 min of run around the track it stops. The ESC blinks green, what seems to be the problem? Anybody experienced this also? i just turn off the esc then turn it back on it will run fine again. Please help if you know whats the problem. My FDR is 6.08.

Thank you!
Sounds like it is going into a 'safe mode'. Possibly thermal shutdown. Mine has done that before when I ran it in a slash 4x4 with a Tacon motor but only on 3s, 2s did just fine. I checked the ESC temp, came in at 120* or so, so I turned off the protection feature to get by while I waited for a more suitable ESC for the amp hungry sct. You could also try turning it off, though I can only recommend doing that if you monitor temps very often and aren't afraid to fry it :/. The question is though, why is it engaging in a 1/10 tc? Do you have the fan on the ESC? Working? What do you use for batteries?
Old 03-14-2012, 08:12 AM
Tech Regular

Ok, so I was searching around for some info and couldn't find any so I decided to just try it out and post results. I've read a while back that the ezrun 60a could handle 4s lipo (yes I know, completely unnecessary, but oh so much fun) using just an external bec. I had tried this and had a blast with it, but wondered about the 35a unit. I have both ESCs so I took the time to compare them and found both use the same FETs, pn 4833n, six of them on the underside of the PCB opposite of the heatsink. The 35a has a detachable second board whereas the 60a seems to have the underside board soldered on so I didn't get a better look on the components there (which I'm sure is mainly bec related and maybe a couple extra FETs for the 60a) since I didn't want to desolder a working ESC just for inspection. So anyway, based on the FETs and power cap, I decided to give the 35a a shot at 4s with an external bec and bench tested fine. I plan on running this thing as soon as time/weather permits and report back here with news of either 1.witnessing a pretty ball of fire roll down the road, 2.a completely destroyed drivetrain or hopefully 3.a stupid fast car at barely half throttle.
Oh yeah, the project is a exotek r18ii with a 26mm castle-neu motor and of course ezrun 35a supplied by a turnigy nano-tech 1000mah 4s.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by meno1103
Sounds like it is going into a 'safe mode'. Possibly thermal shutdown. Mine has done that before when I ran it in a slash 4x4 with a Tacon motor but only on 3s, 2s did just fine. I checked the ESC temp, came in at 120* or so, so I turned off the protection feature to get by while I waited for a more suitable ESC for the amp hungry sct. You could also try turning it off, though I can only recommend doing that if you monitor temps very often and aren't afraid to fry it :/. The question is though, why is it engaging in a 1/10 tc? Do you have the fan on the ESC? Working? What do you use for batteries?

Yes my esc has the stock fan on it. I opened the heat sink and there is a thin foam thats between the heatsink aind the resistor? Maybe this causes the overheat.because the resistors does not touch the heatsink to transfer heat. i am only using a 2s lipo w/ 50C rating. I noticed before when i was running a different tire which has less grip it had no problem. But when i changed to a hi grip tire i am experiencing this overheating w/d the esc.
If i try to remove the foam between the resistors and heatsink will this help?

Thank you!
Old 03-14-2012, 11:50 PM
Tech Regular

Yes my esc has the stock fan on it. I opened the heat sink and there is a thin foam thats between the heatsink aind the resistor? Maybe this causes the overheat.because the resistors does not touch the heatsink to transfer heat. i am only using a 2s lipo w/ 50C rating. I noticed before when i was running a different tire which has less grip it had no problem. But when i changed to a hi grip tire i am experiencing this overheating w/d the esc.
If i try to remove the foam between the resistors and heatsink will this help?

Thank you!
If the foam is a dark grey color that would be the heat transfer pad, does a similar job to thermal paste but not quite as efficient. Yeah, I'd leave that thing in there. Do you have a way reading the temp on the ESC right after it cuts off? Mine seemed to shut down at a lower temp than other ESCs I've had shut down.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

If the foam is a dark grey color that would be the heat transfer pad, does a similar job to thermal paste but not quite as efficient. Yeah, I'd leave that thing in there. Do you have a way reading the temp on the ESC right after it cuts off? Mine seemed to shut down at a lower temp than other ESCs I've had shut down.

Yes its greyish color pad. ok ill leave it there. Ill check temperature tomorrow when i run it. What would be our normal temp for the esc? I notice also that our esc's cuts off early than the others. my friends use speed passion, orca and novak. all their motors just get warm but my ezrun gets hot.
Ill update you with the temp.

Thank you again sir.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:35 AM
Tech Regular

Yes its greyish color pad. ok ill leave it there. Ill check temperature tomorrow when i run it. What would be our normal temp for the esc? I notice also that our esc's cuts off early than the others. my friends use speed passion, orca and novak. all their motors just get warm but my ezrun gets hot.
Ill update you with the temp.

Thank you again sir.
You're welcome! Well have you got a chance to try it out? I want to say the hottest mine got was around 130* farenheit, but that was in a 4x4 slash and 3s. That was most likely pushing the limit on this little gem and was set to overheat protection off of course. I would guess 120 is the most you want it to get on a tc.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hi I have a bit of an odd problem with my ezrun 13t combo. I have two of them and they both have the same issue. I moved them both into different cars and both cog and won't run after the initial throttle range setup.

Any help/advice would be appreciated. I'm using a spektrum receiver and 4200mah 40c lipo. Have tested it with a 5800mah 50c lipo as well and had the same issue.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:05 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by J-PaP
Hi I have a bit of an odd problem with my ezrun 13t combo. I have two of them and they both have the same issue. I moved them both into different cars and both cog and won't run after the initial throttle range setup.

Any help/advice would be appreciated. I'm using a spektrum receiver and 4200mah 40c lipo. Have tested it with a 5800mah 50c lipo as well and had the same issue.
Were they ever in working order? Are both combos new and if so, what happens if you try giving the motor a spin start by hand while giving it low throttle? If it can stay spinning and go from mid to high rpm after giving it a spin start, it means that all three phases are not operating properly. If this is the case, check all connections (including solder joints) from esc to motor.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:17 AM
Tech Regular

Ok, so I was searching around for some info and couldn't find any so I decided to just try it out and post results. I've read a while back that the ezrun 60a could handle 4s lipo (yes I know, completely unnecessary, but oh so much fun) using just an external bec. I had tried this and had a blast with it, but wondered about the 35a unit. I have both ESCs so I took the time to compare them and found both use the same FETs, pn 4833n, six of them on the underside of the PCB opposite of the heatsink. The 35a has a detachable second board whereas the 60a seems to have the underside board soldered on so I didn't get a better look on the components there (which I'm sure is mainly bec related and maybe a couple extra FETs for the 60a) since I didn't want to desolder a working ESC just for inspection. So anyway, based on the FETs and power cap, I decided to give the 35a a shot at 4s with an external bec and bench tested fine. I plan on running this thing as soon as time/weather permits and report back here with news of either 1.witnessing a pretty ball of fire roll down the road, 2.a completely destroyed drivetrain or hopefully 3.a stupid fast car at barely half throttle.
Oh yeah, the project is a exotek r18ii with a 26mm castle-neu motor and of course ezrun 35a supplied by a turnigy nano-tech 1000mah 4s.
Following up with this project here:
I ran the car with this setup and had only one minor issue...traction!! This thing almost tore the cheapie rubber tires up! Out of the entire run, I could not get past half throttle, and even when I did get to half it would only be in short bursts as it spun all four. From the 8min run, the esc got just a few degrees over ambient temperature, and motor got a little warm.

Seems the 35a esc can in fact run a 4s lipo while using an external bec. I'll keep testing this car out and follow up on any changes. The next run will be with bsr foam tires and thinking of swapping out the motor for a lower kv unit.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey guys

I just bought a 2nd hand ezrun 35amp 13.5t combo. It works with nimh batteries but doesn't work on any of my lipo's.

When i mean not work it doesn't power on, no lights nothing.

Any idea why it happens ??