R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-27-2010, 05:06 PM   #766
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Lotus View Post
My friends and I have been looking at the EZRun brushless systems because of their low prices but we have a question:
My local hobby shop tells me that for racing you want a sensored brushless system because the sensorless systems like the EZRun do not accelerate off the line very well, there is a lag.

Have you guys who have them found that to be true with the EZRun or not?

Please help.

More questions to follow.
Absolutely no lag, the power delivery can be a little 'brutal' at times but with timing advance set on the Ezrun ESC loads of flexibility I use a Team Powers 4300kv Sensorless motor with it and it is stupid quick no lag and brakes enough to strip hexes.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:03 AM   #767
Tech Addict

Quote:
because the sensorless systems like the EZRun do not accelerate off the line very well, there is a lag....
I found the 12T cogs considerably more than the 9T, & only if you try to accelerate FROM STOP very slowly. No issues if you gun it.
If you want to actually race, then may be issues with it not being an approved motor (except Aus mini's).
Dont forget, an EZ-run sytem is up to 1/4 of the price of the big brands & a bit of brand snobbery (from sellers & drivers) does come into play here.
1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:06 AM   #768
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
I found the 12T cogs considerably more than the 9T, & only if you try to accelerate FROM STOP very slowly. No issues if you gun it.
If you want to actually race, then may be issues with it not being an approved motor (except Aus mini's).
Dont forget, an EZ-run sytem is up to 1/4 of the price of the big brands & a bit of brand snobbery (from sellers & drivers) does come into play here.
Absolutely no issues if you gun it he is right there, as for the brand snobbery the easiest way to stop that is by having a system that performs just as well as the expensive ones and saying things like "ooh look how fast I am and it only cost like $65 lol" soon shuts them up.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:22 AM   #769
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the help guys!
kedal, who carries the Xerun systems here in the USA? Are they comparable in price to the EZrun? Nitro RCX sells the EZrun motor/esc combo for $70 which is awesome!

We are thinking of using them with a 1 cell lipo pack in Tamiya F1 car, not sure which motor/esc combo to use though. New to brushless and lipo.
We already have the SMC 1 cell lipo packs, we are just trying to settle on
which brushless system to use. I'm glad to hear that cogging or lag does not appear to be an issue with these sensorless systems. Not sure why the hobby shop owner, who also races rc by the way, would say to stay away from sensorless motors.
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:28 AM   #770
Tech Addict

Quote:
kedal, who carries the Xerun systems here in the USA? Are they comparable in price to the EZrun? Nitro RCX sells the EZrun motor/esc combo for $70 which is awesome!

We are thinking of using them with a 1 cell lipo pack in Tamiya F1 car, not sure which motor/esc combo to use though. New to brushless and lipo.
We already have the SMC 1 cell lipo packs, we are just trying to settle on
which brushless system to use. I'm glad to hear that cogging or lag does not appear to be an issue with these sensorless systems. Not sure why the hobby shop owner, who also races rc by the way, would say to stay away from sensorless motors.

Because the mark up is better on Sensored.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #771
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, I kind of figured that.

Another question: Elswhere on the RC Tech forums is a thread about the Tamiya F104 and those who are running it with a 1 cell lipo are using either a 17.5 or 13.5 brushless motor. With the EZrun or Xerun which motor would you use as they don't rate theirs as 17.5 or 13.5. They use kv ratings it seems instead. Confusing
Old 01-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #772
Tech Adept

Quote:

:
No idea who carries the xerun in USA (I'm from France) but try Ebay and see the price. Well, the xerun is quite like twice expansive than the ezrun so...

I'll try some SP V3 or X12 with my ezrun, I'll hope this will be ok, no lag or something...
kedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #773
Tech Addict

Quote:
Yeah, I kind of figured that.

Another question: Elswhere on the RC Tech forums is a thread about the Tamiya F104 and those who are running it with a 1 cell lipo are using either a 17.5 or 13.5 brushless motor. With the EZrun or Xerun which motor would you use as they don't rate theirs as 17.5 or 13.5. They use kv ratings it seems instead. Confusing

You Got PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #774
Tech Fanatic

Okay, here is what we have in mind for our Tamiya F104 cars to be paired with the SMC 1 cell 25C lipo.

EZrun 35amp ESC with [email protected] 3650 brushless motor combo

Tell me what you think
Old 01-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #775
Tech Regular

We run our F1 class (F103/F104) with 7.2v NiMh or 2s Lipo's, and with 35A ESC / 3000kV motors.

With this combo the cars are not stupid fast, but all cars are equal in top speed.
Don't matter if you run V1 or V2 (with USB support). I do not think EzRun 35A can go down to 1s Lipo.... Atleast the specs says it can't, not tested myself.

We even take the cooling fan off the ESC to make it fit into the F1 chassi, still no trouble with heat!
RossoTorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #776
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Cool

According to the Hobbywing website, you can't run a one cell lipo.
"Input: 4-9 cells NiMH/NiCd or 2-3 cells LiPo."
The 35 amp esc with the 13 turn motor is supposed to be about the same as the black can Tamiya brushed motor. Can't remember where I read it, but someone did a side by side comparison with the two in a Tamiys F103GT.
So that sounds like a good setup for that car.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:00 PM   #777
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmooth View Post
According to the Hobbywing website, you can't run a one cell lipo.
"Input: 4-9 cells NiMH/NiCd or 2-3 cells LiPo."
The 35 amp esc with the 13 turn motor is supposed to be about the same as the black can Tamiya brushed motor. Can't remember where I read it, but someone did a side by side comparison with the two in a Tamiys F103GT.
So that sounds like a good setup for that car.
Yeah, same as we found out.
With 2s Lipo or 7.2v NiMh it's about same as Tamiya's black can.
Only without the heat that destroy them, we had temps of 120 degrees celcius with black cans and with ezrun we have about 50 degrees with same gearing.
One time a black can only lasted a battery before it was fried, been running F103 with same ezrun system now for 1.5 years and still preforming like new!

35A ESC with [email protected] and 2s Lipo works great in F103, i've only added 60 grams of weight in battery compartment and it's preformace are great.
RossoTorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #778
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

OK guys:

I'm ready to purchase either a XErun 120Amp esc or a XErun 60 Amp esc. I will be using a Tekin Redline 8.5 motor and 5000 mah 2S 40C lipos in a Losi MF2.

My only brushless experience was last summer when I drove a J Concepts
BJ4WE buggy with a Tekin RS Pro/6.5 system and SMC saddle packs. The Tekin system was flawless in operation.

So back to now.... will the 60 amp esc be ok with 6-7 minute races or should I get the 120Amp esc? I am so looking forward to racing a good esc for 1/2 the price!

And one more question please....is it better to get the program card or the program box? Which is more functionable at the track? We will have a laptop with us.

Thank-you for your help on this guys....
7.5man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:32 AM   #779
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.5man View Post
OK guys:

I'm ready to purchase either a XErun 120Amp esc or a XErun 60 Amp esc. I will be using a Tekin Redline 8.5 motor and 5000 mah 2S 40C lipos in a Losi MF2.

BJ4WE buggy with a Tekin RS Pro/6.5 system and SMC saddle packs. The Tekin system was flawless in operation.

So back to now.... will the 60 amp esc be ok with 6-7 minute races or should I get the 120Amp esc? I am so looking forward to racing a good esc for 1/2 the price!

And one more question please....is it better to get the program card or the program box? Which is more functionable at the track? We will have a laptop with us.

I don't know what car you'll be running this in, but the 120 is very sweet. It't bigger than the Ezrun 60, but I really like the sensored for the smoothness.
I bought the LCD program box. It gives you a few more options than the cards do. Plus you can download updates from Hobbywings website.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:40 AM   #780
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.5man View Post
OK guys:

Here is all the information that you will need for the Xeruns mate.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-thread-9.html