R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #46
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

MRRCGUY - Nice looking shell! I cut on the trim line that left the most surface area. First with no slots cut and then tested again with the center slots trimmed out. Mounted as far back as I could and still get the wing mount nut into the recess.

I also thought I might try using one of the High Downforce wings from Protoform with this body to see if it helps in the rear. I have a set I can test with. If I can get the rear planted I think I can make up for the aggressive steering with setup changes. The body looks sweet and it is slammed (how I like it). Since I bought two I was hoping not to have to abandon them altogether.
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #47
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Q you lazy sucka just send it !!!!
Old 09-18-2008, 02:58 PM   #48
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitsum View Post
Q you lazy sucka just send it !!!!
U Crazy!
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:19 AM   #49
Tech Addict

Quote:
To me this body seems like it may have been an experiment to see what happens when you go to the absolutle limit of the rules on a body...something tells me the next protoform will be something a little toned back from this body.
shadow102;
Wow - you're a mind reader!

Dale - Protoform
daleepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:13 PM   #50
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Alright, so I now think maybe this body is getting a bad rep for no reason. I ran this body at the XRAY Challenge this weekend and put down around 120 - 140 laps with it. After is all said and done, I like the shell. Yes, its radical. Yes its aggressive. Yes, ya need to moved the wing back. However; It does work. It does serve a purpose. I do hope it stays in production. I will even go so far as to say that I feel everyone who's into on road sedan racing and likes to do a little tunning should have one of these in the collection. If you only run on low grip surfaces, maybe this is not the right choice, but if you have some high traction tracks around, get one. Testing with this body made me want to test different bodies more often.
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:18 AM   #51
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I ran the body this past saturday and I like it very much. I was afraid because of all the reports of oversteer this body was getting, but I had no issues with the body at all. Everybody at my track was very impressed with how the car looked stuck and was easy to drive fast in the switchbacks. I had some issues with my setup, but the body was great. I think I have found a new favorite body.

R10 USGT, TRF416 USGT, DB10R, TA05R VTA, R40, RS4 3SS, RS4 super, Savage, Hellfire.

Youthful enthusiasm only rules until old age and common sense exert themselves
JCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:22 AM   #52
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Glad the body is working out for some. It just didn't work for us at our track. I just couldn't justify drastically changing a set set up that took alot of time to get right. I always thought that a body was used to gain that certain little change in handling that you couldn't quite get from a set up change. Maybe I was wrong in my way of thinking. Having a base set up allowed me to feel the difference in the 3 bodies during my day of testing. Like I stated before the first two bodies (AP Stratus, Mazda 6) didn't require a whole lot of set up changes to get them to suit my driving style. The R9-R did require a bunch of changes and it was still a ways away from feeling like the other two. It looks killer on the car but it just didn't work for me or the other guys at my track. Grip was med-med high. We will be at a high traction track this weekend so we'll see if someone else decides to test the body.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #53
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here is mine all mounted and ready to test!

Last edited by Tim Kowal; 12-16-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Tim Kowal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:13 AM   #54
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I ran my new R9-R last weekend and at first it was not good at all, very loose in the rear and could not get it even make a lap without having to really let out early going into turns. After some tuning on the chassis and switching bodies to a Mazda 6, I got done for the day and went back to retry the R9-R. Well I have to say that most of the problem with the rear end was more of the setup, duh!! The car was just as planted as with the Mazda dna I had a few guys come ver and try it out and they all felt the same way about it and thought taht they would be getting one soon!
I think most are expecting the holy grail of body shells and just work with your setup and keep trying, it will work!!
katfish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:32 AM   #55
Tech Rookie

Just built a TA05r and got an R9R shell for it gonna try it at my local club tomorrow night and will post results and a picture!
leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #56
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kowal View Post
Nice! I like the blue digital camo underneath the flames
Old 09-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #57
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
Glad the body is working out for some. It just didn't work for us at our track. I just couldn't justify drastically changing a set set up that took alot of time to get right. I always thought that a body was used to gain that certain little change in handling that you couldn't quite get from a set up change. Maybe I was wrong in my way of thinking. Having a base set up allowed me to feel the difference in the 3 bodies during my day of testing. Like I stated before the first two bodies (AP Stratus, Mazda 6) didn't require a whole lot of set up changes to get them to suit my driving style. The R9-R did require a bunch of changes and it was still a ways away from feeling like the other two. It looks killer on the car but it just didn't work for me or the other guys at my track. Grip was med-med high. We will be at a high traction track this weekend so we'll see if someone else decides to test the body.
HB driver Felix Law ran the body last weekend at race#1 of the FSEARA series. He reports that the body provides better steering than the mazda bodies, and he ended up using 6 deg castor blocks up front and hi Cyclone was very good for the 4th heat which he won...He will be stikcing with that body for a while, he says...

"Release the Kraken"
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:30 PM   #58
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Wow...looking good Tim.

"Release the Kraken"
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:06 PM   #59
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
All I can say is SICK!!!! That body rocks. Run a rattle can painted body and put that in an air tight cube with lasers surrounding it

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhayyim View Post
HB driver Felix Law ran the body last weekend at race#1 of the FSEARA series. He reports that the body provides better steering than the mazda bodies, and he ended up using 6 deg castor blocks up front and hi Cyclone was very good for the 4th heat which he won...He will be stikcing with that body for a while, he says...
Any chance of getting him to post his set up on the Cyclone thread? I'm curious to see the difference between our two set up's. Thanks for the heads up.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:32 PM   #60
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Got pics of mine going to test it saturday or sunday depending on weather
Attached Thumbnails
PROTOform "R9-R" Racebody-dscf2172.jpg  

www.nexusracing.com
www.go-rc.org
shadow102 is offline   Reply With Quote